Living in the southwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the southwest

I am looking for any input or ideas from anyone living in the Southwest. I just recently moved to the desert, I know a weird time to move but a raise is a raise. I have lived my whole life either in the Appalachian Mountains or the piedmont region of the Carolinas so the environment is new to me. Advice can be on any subject but clothes, staying cool, and skin care would be most helpful. My office runs the gambit of business casual to casual, see cowboy boots being acceptable.

All those Dappered articles about sweating are your new friend. That and Golf apparel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Linen. Hopsacks. And linen.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Honestly if you've lived in the South, the Southwest will probably feel like an improvement. Give me dry heat any day.

Use a daily moisturizer with sunscreen.
        Ben

Comment

Whatever you wear in the heat of a Carolina Piedmont summer should be fine in the SW as far as comfort. The sun in the SW is a little more intense so be a little more careful about getting burned. If you've ever wanted to experiment with elements of Western flair - a bolo tie, big belt buckle, cowboy hat or boots (or both) this is your chance. Those looks are far more mainstream out there than anywhere else. Keep in mind that the temperature is partially determined by elevation - if you're up in say Santa Fe or Taos or Flagstaff - it will be decidedly cooler. Last May I was in Tucson and it was pretty hot down there on the hottest days (it was just touching the low 90s at worst) but up at the Grand Canyon it snowed 3-4 inches.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

you need more bolo ties. and western suit coats.

in all seriousness though, i find it wierd out there because despite it being legitimately horribly hot outside, the inside spaces restaurant and stores are sometimes chilled down to like 55 degrees on the same day, and if you wear shorts and linen shirt and everything else, you might freeze your tooties off.

The american southwestern expansion has thrived on AC. I reccomend you plan on that maybe more even than it being hot.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
              in all seriousness though, i find it wierd out there because despite it being legitimately horribly hot outside, the inside spaces restaurant and stores are sometimes chilled down to like 55 degrees on the same day, and if you wear shorts and linen shirt and everything else, you might freeze your tooties off.

The american southwestern expansion has thrived on AC. I reccomend you plan on that maybe more even than it being hot.
              This is true. I've got plenty of family and friends in Phoenix, Vegas, and Saint George, Utah, and if you ask them about the heat, they'll all tell you that once the sun comes up, you just move from one air-conditioned place to another. People just don't hang out outside a lot in the summer (with good reason).

One other thing to consider--depending on where you are, you might be shocked at how cold it can get in the desert. Saint George is much warmer than Salt Lake City during the day in the winter, but it often gets colder there overnight.

For what it's worth, I once spent a summer in Virginia and found the east coast heat and humidity to be much harder to bear.

Comment

One suggestion - if you own a black car, sell it. Get a white one.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  One suggestion - if you own a black car, sell it. Get a white one.
                  This is good advice. A friend of mine lived in Scottsdale AZ back in the '90's and he had a black car (interior and exterior). I would visit him several times a year. The interior of his car got so hot sometimes that the glue holding it together would melt.

Also, budget several hundred dollars a month for AC in the summer. I'm in So. Cal. and live in a modest 1600 sq. ft. townhouse (no vaulted ceilings or anything fancy like that). We installed a fairly high efficiency SEER 16 AC unit a few years ago and we're still about $200 a month May through September. If you're in a place like Phoenix, you're going to spend a lot more. I've had shop owners in Palm Springs tell me that it cost them $2,000 a month to cool their stores in the summer.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    Honestly if you've lived in the South, the Southwest will probably feel like an improvement. Give me dry heat any day.

Use a daily moisturizer with sunscreen.
                    I wish it was always dry it but it isn't. 115 degrees is still 115 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                      This is good advice. A friend of mine lived in Scottsdale AZ back in the '90's and he had a black car (interior and exterior). I would visit him several times a year. The interior of his car got so hot sometimes that the glue holding it together would melt.

Also, budget several hundred dollars a month for AC in the summer. I'm in So. Cal. and live in a modest 1600 sq. ft. townhouse (no vaulted ceilings or anything fancy like that). We installed a fairly high efficiency SEER 16 AC unit a few years ago and we're still about $200 a month May through September. If you're in a place like Phoenix, you're going to spend a lot more. I've had shop owners in Palm Springs tell me that it cost them $2,000 a month to cool their stores in the summer.
                      The clearest ceramic window film you can find on the windshield will do more than you can imagine for lowering interior temps. We did it on missus' golf for when we do our rave hajj road trips (vegas summer yikes) and even without the windows done, it gave us easily 20 degrees cooler. Ceramic tint on the windows too makes it exponentially more bearable.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

$800 a month isn’t out of the ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                          they'll all tell you that once the sun comes up, you just move from one air-conditioned place to another.

i lived in orange county for ten years and this describes winter there from like may to mid september.

Comment

I just wanted to comment on the Western boots. Western boots are not all equal, and run the gamut from dressy and acceptable anywhere dress shoes are (provided you're in the right state for that sort of thing) to casual and not acceptable for anything above business casual.

Don't wear a basic pair of calf ariats with a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                              The clearest ceramic window film you can find on the windshield will do more than you can imagine for lowering interior temps. We did it on missus' golf for when we do our rave hajj road trips (vegas summer yikes) and even without the windows done, it gave us easily 20 degrees cooler. Ceramic tint on the windows too makes it exponentially more bearable.

Yes--forgot to mention that we replaced all the 50 year old windows with double pane tinted windows as well--in the rooms with direct sunlight, they have been good for a 10-15 degree temp reduction. But we're still over $200 a month in the hot months. Which is better than the $300 plus before we made the changes.

Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
                              $800 a month isn’t out of the ordinary

Wow--that makes a big dent in anybody's budget. But you don't need to buy winter clothes anymore.
                              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                              X