Face masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face masks

Has anyone here ordered any that they are satisfied with? I'm looking for one that is tightly woven cotton, machine washable, and preferably with a metal piece in the nose so it can be adjusted for a tighter fit. Also, as someone who wears glasses regularly I'm thinking one that loops behind the ears might not be the most comfortable. Quick shipping would be a major plus.

My state has decided that they plan on reopening in the coming weeks. They released the plan to the public yesterday and part of it states that face masks will need to be worn in public at all times for at least the first few months. I'm planning to stay at home as much as possible still but will need a mask now for any quick trips to the grocery store or other places.

I was just joking with my wife yesterday that it will be nice once BR and J Crew and the like start making them.

I currently have a pretty hefty cotton one that my aunt made from a template she found somewhere online. It's alright, but it does have a tendency to slowly fall down my face as I wear it which is a little annoying. A metal piece I could kind of pinch on the bridge of my nose to stay up would be really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
      Has anyone here ordered any that they are satisfied with? I'm looking for one that is tightly woven cotton, machine washable, and preferably with a metal piece in the nose so it can be adjusted for a tighter fit. Also, as someone who wears glasses regularly I'm thinking one that loops behind the ears might not be the most comfortable. Quick shipping would be a major plus.

My state has decided that they plan on reopening in the coming weeks. They released the plan to the public yesterday and part of it states that face masks will need to be worn in public at all times for at least the first few months. I'm planning to stay at home as much as possible still but will need a mask now for any quick trips to the grocery store or other places.
      I ordered some from Custom Ink, based on a Valetmag rec...they're just knit T shirt material cut to shape with ear loops cut in...my guess is they are very minimally effective. I have some on order from a couple different vendors - it's taking 7 days or so for them to ship in most cases. Except the ones I ordered yesterday from Los Angeles Apparel. I ordered those yesterday mid-morning and they shipped late afternoon. They have an adjustable nose bridge and are made of what is described as heavy terrycloth fabric - no description of how many layers but tea towels are supposed to be one of the better filtering materials so if they're thick tea towel fabric they should be OK. A three pack is $30 and they have several colorways.

https://losangelesapparel.net/produc...ck-cotton-mask

I did not pay for overnight shipping but they do offer it. So, if you want something that's available for immediate shipping AND that seems like a decent quality cloth mask, these are probably about as good a compromise as you can get. If it's single-ply I might layer the custom ink ones under it to give an extra filter layer.

We have a sewing machine and I was thinking of making some, but it's hard to buy thread and fabric at present because it's kind of late on the curve compared to other home crafters. I have heard/read that the virus survives longer on synthetic fibers so 100% cotton may be advisable as a mask material relative to something synthetic like polyester, spandex, or nylon. Nylon seems like it would be really hard to breathe through anyway.

Prior to that I ordered some from an outfit called "Arm the Animals" who said they would ship in 8-10 business days. I ordered them 8 calendar days ago and have yet to get a shipping notification.

If you want to try something home made that requires no sewing there are instructions on making a mask from a bed sheet (tightly woven) from an epidemiologist here: https://mikeshouts.com/no-sew-face-m...-make-at-home/

I made a couple from an old sheet as per the instructions - I used staples but in retrospect you cut holes in the corners of the mask to feed the tie strips through and you could just...tie those tie strips in the holes and not use staples or safety pins. A bowline knot would not slip or come undone. The top of the mask is the side-hem of the sheet and there's room to feed a straightened paperclip through there to form a nose clip. My issue, and I don't know if this is a function of using an older sheet or what, is that breathing through it caused me some respiratory irritation. Overnight and the next day I had sinus pressure and some bronchial irritation. I don't know if that's just a temporary effect of breathing through a cloth and would fade over time as the body adjusts, or from some irritant that is in the fabric. It was a clean sheet and then I washed and tumble-dried the masks after making them and before wearing so I don't know what they might have been shedding that would irritate me. There's a lot of moisture buildup that forms and maybe the issue is breathing in that hyper-humid air, especially if you exhale from your mouth and then breathe in through the nose.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Also, this is another public service announcement...some people are using HEPA filters as an extra layer with cloth masks. Some are using coffee filters. I've heard that coffee filters are safe but a lot of HEPA filters contain fiberglass fibers or chemicals and breathing those in is not a real good idea. If you can find some surgical masks they do a good job. My wife is in primary care and about 23 days ago she saw a teenager for a pregnancy exam. This was three weeks ago Tuesday. That following Thursday she gets and email from the hospital's occupational health department saying the girl had gone in to be tested for Coronavirus because her dad had just gotten positive test results, and sure enough, this girl had tested positive too.

They were screening for symptoms and sending the kids with symptoms to a separate clinic where the providers were geared up in full PPE, but this girl slipped through. My wife was wearing a surgical mask and no face shield and estimates she spent roughly 20 minutes total with this girl. She did not develop symptoms and neither have I and we're well past the max incubation period, so we dodged that bullet. Whether we'll continue to dodge them is yet to be seen of course.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have a friend who has a friend in the garment industry who has been making masks. Not medical grade of course but they should be good for the months to follow where masks will still be worn but not with the urgency or necessity of the present. They only sell them in lots of a dozen. $48 plus shipping. Random patterns and not sure of the material but they are washable.

I figured it would be a good way to support local business and have a small supply of masks available. I'll report back as to the material, construction and quality and post a link if I think they are worthwhile.

Comment

I've been making my own with templates from the internet and tweaked the patterns for better fit. It's not the most difficult sewing project if you have a sewing machine or even just a thread and needle. There are a million how to tutorials on YouTube right now.
            [MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION] I used the wire fastener from a bag of coffee grounds to help pinch around the bridge of the nose. I also used wire hangers from Christmas tree ornaments on several masks. I had to duct tape two wires together to give them more rigidity but it worked out okay.

Comment

Proper cloth is taking pre-orders...

https://propercloth.com/products/pro...-mask-959.html

Comment

Local menswear store here is making and shipping masks - I received mine 4-5 days after ordering I think:
                https://heimies.com/shop/?swoof=1&pr...at=accessories
                “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
                  [MENTION=4392]mark4[/MENTION] - I ended up ordering a 3 pack from LA Apparel. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, and all the reviews say the shipping was pretty fast even with non expedited orders so hopefully I'll have them by the end of next week.
                  [MENTION=22175]mhip[/MENTION] - Unfortunately, a pre-order wouldn't do me much good. It says they don't even anticipate shipping to begin until May 11th.
                  [MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] - I'm all for supporting local business and have been doing so, but if I went that route I'd probably just find a business local to me to get them from.

Comment

I got a 3 pack from LA Apparel, they are as described. the metal piece helps the mask form well to your nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Fewthoughts View Post
                      I got a 3 pack from LA Apparel, they are as described. the metal piece helps the mask form well to your nose.
                      That's encouraging. Mine are on the way via the USPS. Can you tell if they have just one or multiple layers of fabric?

Comment

Here's a round-up from StyleForum

https://journal.styleforum.net/mens-face-masks-covid/

Not the most affordable options but at least it's hashtag menswear approved?

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                          Here's a round-up from StyleForum

https://journal.styleforum.net/mens-face-masks-covid/

Not the most affordable options but at least it's hashtag menswear approved?
                          Great. I totally just bought a denim face mask I didn't need, just because :/

https://bravestarselvage.com/product...vage-face-mask

Looks pretty cool, though.

Comment

I don't know where my company got ours, but they're nice. I drew some hop cones on mine, because, well BEER!

No adjustable nose piece though. I might glue some thin piece of foam or something to that area though so I don't fog up my glasses so much.

But if you're going to be washing it, you probably don't want a piece of metal in there unless you know it's not going to rust/corrode/snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                              I don't know where my company got ours, but they're nice. I drew some hop cones on mine, because, well BEER!

No adjustable nose piece though. I might glue some thin piece of foam or something to that area though so I don't fog up my glasses so much.

But if you're going to be washing it, you probably don't want a piece of metal in there unless you know it's not going to rust/corrode/snap.
                              Best advice I've seen is to treat them like a bra; handwash if possible but at least use a net bag in the washer on delicate.

I wonder if anyone will make masks with removable nose pieces, similar to (or using) removable collar stays. Between the U shape of the nose pieces and tension from the straps pulling the edges of the masks, the stays shouldn't be able to work their way out.

Masks absolutely need to be washed, even if made with natural fibres. Ironing or steaming doesn't get the fabric hot enough for long enough to kill most viruses or bacteria which inevitably accumulate in the warm moist environment a mask creates.

UV light (strong sunlight or a disinfectant lamp) might not penetrate into thicker cloth. Bleach, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide are all effective, but little more than ordinary soap and water. Plus they don't deal with the dust, dirt, skin cells and sebum the mask will trap.

Comment

Working...
                              X