Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running sneakers

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up a new pair of daily runners for my morning 5k. Having too much time on my hands has lead to me getting too much information for which to buy.
    I'm wondering what you are currently using or recommend.
    Currently my Brooks Levitate are getting quite worn.
    twitter: @adg_ca
    instagram: @adg_ca

I used run in Asics Nimbus shoes. For years. And years. Then (on model 20 I think?) they changed the overall shape of the shoe and I couldn't wear it anymore. Far too small/narrow for my foot. I switched over to the Mizuno Wave Rider. I've been happy with that shoe, having put on close to 500K on the shoe. For shorter runs, I started running in the New Balance M1080 shoe. Much more cushion than the Wave Rider. Due to the weight of the shoe, I don't think I'd wear it for a marathon. For short 5/10k runs though, the shoe is just fine. Nice and comfy.

I've been told that due to complaints, Asics has gone back to their original shoe/mold for the Nimbus. I might switch back when it comes time to replace my Wave Riders.

Cheers.

Comment

I am by no means an expert in running (my least favorite cardio) but back in the day I got fitted at a running store and they recommended Asics Nimbus. I've been super happy with them and usually buy the 2 year old models when mine start showing age/wear and tear. To me the fit is so important getting input from people is going to be difficult. Perhaps a running blog/forum may know what may be in the same fit style as your current ones you like?

Comment

Barefoot or GTFO. Hahaha. It's pretty dangerous running barefoot in the city, though I've done it a couple times. I usually wear Vibram 5 Fingers. Have ran several half marathons and a full marathon in them with no issues. Course, I'm flat footed and anything with "Arch support" is uncomfortable AF.
        Last edited by Nandyn; April 20th, 2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I wore and loved Mizuno Wave Hitogamis for years until they ended the model line a couple years ago. I bought a couple extra pairs before they were all gone, which I am on my last one of now. Now I wear a combination of those and New Balance 1400 (which feel similar to me) for anything up to about a half marathon distance, and NB 1080 v10 for higher cushion/longer distances.

Comment

I switched over to Inov-8 last year and I've liked them quite a bit, but my running is virtually all trail-runs so I don't know whether we'd be comparing the same features. My old feet need some cushion but not a lot of drop and Inov-8 has really served me well, there. I do also have a pair of NB 890 that I'll sometimes run on hard surfaces in and I really enjoy the fit and weight of them.

Comment

I would go to a running store and get fitted. There are so many variables to finding a good pair of running shoes that getting advice on a fashion forum won't be very helpful. Best to try on multiple pairs in person. But if you can't get to a store right now, and assuming you like the sneakers you already have, I would stick with Brooks Levitate.

But since you asked...I'm also a Brooks guy. I wore Brooks Pure Flow for years. I switched to Brooks Ghosts for a little more support but hated how clunky and heavy they were and ended up going back to the Pure Flow.

Comment

I like the Brooks Ghost or the New Balance 1080 - both neutral cushioning shoes. My podiatrist put me in orthotics for plantar fascitis a few years back, and told me to wear a neutral cushioning shoe as the orthotics provide plenty of structure and support. If the Brooks are working for you why not get a new pair of them? In normal times going out to a brick and mortar store to try some different brands out would be feasible, but right now? I would just order what I know is working for me online and have it delivered.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

side bar but why are running shoes so darn ugly any real running show is just normally completely unstylish. Id love to see what you guys are picking up. What stinks is your foot / pronation etc makes a huge difference

Comment

Right now I am in Nike Air Pegasus 36s for running, though running aggravates my knees so I don't run very far, fast, or frequently. I think they look pretty good, but in more of a streetwear way than most sneakers that get recommended in these parts. I've actually been wearing them a lot for walking/rucking these days after I originally picked them up to do some tempo runs on the treadmill at the gym after weightlifting. (RIP gym time.)

Honestly it's hard to recommend running shoes because everyone's foot shape and running gait/mechanics are so different. Given that trying on new stuff is probably difficult I'd probably buy a fresh pair of whatever you're currently wearing, and hold off trying new stuff until after we've got this pandemic under control.
                    Ben

Comment

I run 30+ miles per week and have for quite a few years. The answer to this question is to get fitted at a running store which is tough in current times. I would try to replace your shoes with what you are currently in until you can get fitted.

I swore by New Balance something or others for like 10 pairs then the next evolution ruined it for me. I am now a Brooks Ghost guy and have had probably 15 pairs and have 2 on order. I think once you find the shoe for you, stick with it. I am one of the only people I know that prefers a 10+MM drop while others like little to no drop. My only running issue recently was due to a stubbed toe, not due to shoes.

Comment

I'm also a Mizuno Wave Rider fan, at least up until version 21; the current 23s that I own took a few runs to break in. What I like about the Mizunos--some years ago I went to a running store and got advice--is the wide toe box and the soft cushion. I'm not a fast runner and I don't run very far; 10 to 15 miles per week, 9:30 to 10:00 minutes per mile. Also, I apparently have a neutral running gait, if that helps.

Comment

As others have said, you really need to try running shoes on (and ideally get fitted if you haven't previously done so). If what you have now is working for you and you can't wait, just buy another pair.

Comment

Second (or third or fourth) getting properly fitted. I used to run in outlet Reeboks, New Balances, whatever, and then when I really got into running 6-7 years ago I went to a local running store (in the Boston area, Marathon Sports) and they had me run around the block in them and watched me and did an a gait analysis. Some of the other stores I've been to even have a treadmill with cameras to do an analysis. They selected Brooks Dyads for me, which area fuddy-duddy and actually are designed for orthotic insoles (which I don't need), but they've been awesome. I've run two full marathons and numerous halfs/10Ks/5Ks since. I never would have selected these shoes if I was picking them out on my own.

The other benefits of going to a specialized running store is that they can give you good advice and, even more important right now, usually some 30 day guarantee. I once tried a different brand of shoes and after about a week had some impact-based pain and was able to return them despite putting some miles on them. Even if you order directly from the manufacturer, they may also have the same sort of warranty. I know Brooks does. But its important to first figure out what

If none of these stores are open for "walk in" business right now, they might be able to conduct a phone consultation and send out pairs based on recommendations. I have found them to be very accommodating and in these times, they might be appreciative of the business.
                            ------

- Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              I would go to a running store and get fitted. There are so many variables to finding a good pair of running shoes that getting advice on a fashion forum won't be very helpful. Best to try on multiple pairs in person. But if you can't get to a store right now, and assuming you like the sneakers you already have, I would stick with Brooks Levitate.

But since you asked...I'm also a Brooks guy. I wore Brooks Pure Flow for years. I switched to Brooks Ghosts for a little more support but hated how clunky and heavy they were and ended up going back to the Pure Flow.
                              This is the right answer. The only problem is, you can't easily go to a running store to get fitted these days. As an alternative, you could order from a place like Running Warehouse, since both offer free returns and fit guarantees.

Comment

Working...
                              X