What I'd like to see from Dappered in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'd like to see from Dappered in 2020

Someone started this thread at the beginning of the year and it was a great conversation before it got derailed and ultimately closed - which was the right move by Joe. I didn't post at the time but closer introspection over the past few months has made me realize what I'd like to see from Dappered in the future...

Basically, I'd like to see Dappered go a bit upmarket. The previous thread featured a lot of comments from men who who have outgrown Dappered and are looking to make the next step in their wardrobe. I absolutely relate to that. I was first introduced to Dappered four years ago and have been gradually overhauling my wardrobe since then based on the advice of Joe and this thread. In the past year, however, I've noticed that I have the fundamentals well executed and it was time to elevate my wardrobe. Dappered, unfortunately, has not been a great source for that elevation. Dappered does the basics really well but the styles have gotten almost stale or "normcore." Gentleman's Gazette is an obvious option for a more elevated menswear ethos, but their style seems too dandy, almost like a Great Gatsby cosplay. I've done a pretty good job of filling in that gap on my own so based on what I've found, here are some thoughts on where I think Dappered can elevate itself for the next group of menswear enthusiasts who might outgrow the Dappered brand:

1) Outerwear. It would be great to see more content on how to find functional yet classic outerwear. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure if I've seen this website host a thorough analysis of the types of outerwear that should fill a man's wardrobe and how to find the best quality at the best price. For those of us in four season climates, this could be a robust debate. For example, my wardrobe includes a parka from LL Bean, a camel double breasted overcoat from S&M, a navy overcoat from J. Crew, a black duffle coat from S&M, and a navy a peacoat from BR. And those are just the heavy winter coats! Each coat has a specific purpose in the wardrobe so I am always prepared for any type of weather no matter the occasion. One item that I would love to splurge on but probably won't because I don't need it is a camelhair overcoat. That is an all-time menswear classic but it has never once been mentioned here!

2) Boutiques. The stores featured on Dappered have become redundant: J. Crew, Banana Republic, Spier & Mackay, Suit Supply, Uniqlo, Bonobos, and Allen Edmonds. I would bet that those few brands constitute almost 75% of all the content on here. Given, those are all great brands and I'd bet that those brands comprise 75% of my own wardrobe! Nonetheless, there are some excellent smaller online retailers out there that would appeal to this community: Meermin is the most obvious. I know Joe is skeptical of their customer service due to shipping costs and that's fair, but damn their shoes are excellent. I highly recommend visiting their store if you're in NYC. There are niche retailers out there that can fill specific wardrobe voids far better than the major brands listed above. A few that I love include Naadam (cashmere), Aran Sweater Market (Aran sweaters), Trask (shoes and leather goods), AllBirds (knit sneakers), and Fratelli Orsini (leather gloves). There are some on my radar that I haven’t tried yet like Beckett Simonon (shoes), Icewear (Icelandic sweaters) and Pendleton (wool products) that I hear great things about.

3) Fabrics. I concede that I'm becoming a broken record on this but at this point in our menswear lives we simply should not tolerate so many artificial fabrics in our clothing. They're not breathable, they absorb moisture, and they don't retain heat. Instead, I'd like to see this site emphasize more luxurious textures and fabrics like cashmere and camel hair, both of which I've already mentioned. There's also alpaca, lambswool, shearling, corduroy, and cordovan. And they don't have to be expensive! I purchased an alpaca crewneck sweater from J. Crew for $50 and it's been a revelation. There's an entire world beyond merino (which I love!) and polyester.

I should be clear that I am not arguing in favor of peacocking. There are plenty of menswear websites already doing that and they all look terrible. What I am saying is that there is room for the conservative Dappered style to embrace a bit more luxury and refinement while retaining its roots on affordable quality. Nonetheless, excellent website, Joe, thanks for all the hardwork you do for the community!

What are your thoughts? Is this feedback fair? Are there items I'm missing?
    Last edited by garryowen47; April 13, 2020, 08:17 AM.

i definitely echo your feelings about natural fibers.

they are just great.

the reason we see so much marino wool anyhow, is that they've just been able to make is very cheap in the last few years, and by far it's the softest wool fiber for the money. the industry likes it because they can make sweaters that are slim, and not just some enormous blob fishing sweater kind of thing around it's wearers.

it's become way way much more manufacturable as a commodity than say, cashmere, which even in it's cheaper forms is still a huge PITA to farm, construct, and take care of in my clothes collection.

i'm sure that there are other better fibers than Marino but it makes sense to me. It's a nice fiber, it's way better than cotton everything at least :-D

plus you can make Ken Marino Wool jokes all day long

Comment

I think it depends by what you mean outgrow? Is it in terms of quality (aka more expensive) or as you indicated against a more "dandy" or peacock look? In terms of quality, etc. I do like where Dappered is situated. I like looking nice and put together but I don't desire to put more of my budget towards clothing. I don't have issues with those that do but I think majority of people I've seen post here are looking to look the best put together they can while fitting it into their lifestyle/budget. Articles about 1k suits or even more expensive shoes than AE wouldn't appeal to me. And if COVID taught me anything that my nicer clothes have a definitive time and a place. I'm not dressing up at home (aka wearing a jacket), so I'm glad I haven't invested a lot outside the SuSu/S&M price range.

I do agree that a variety of brands would be helpful. We do get in a rut of everyone that asks for shoes gets recommended AE despite several posts about their quality declining, a difficult buying process (in my eyes) for factory seconds, etc. That's easy for me to ask though without really knowing what I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
        2) Boutiques. The stores featured on Dappered have become redundant: J. Crew, Banana Republic, Spier & Mackay, Suit Supply, Uniqlo, Bonobos, and Allen Edmonds. I would bet that those few brands constitute almost 75% of all the content on here.
        Definitely agree with you on this point. I mentioned this on the prior thread, but for me the biggest change I would like to see is more variety. At this point (I've followed Dappered for 5+ years now) I feel like the site has become more or less a "sales calendar" for those specific brands (BR, J Crew, S&M, Bonobos, etc.). I'd like to be able to visit the site to discover new brands I may not have heard of before. They don't need to be luxury brands by any means. I'm sure there are thousands of reasonably priced options out there that make all sorts of wardrobe items that we would be interested in.

The "Dappered Space" series has been a nice change of pace from the monotony and I've appreciated the variety of it. However, I would be overjoyed to go to the main page one day and discover something new instead of reading about how BR or J Crew is having their semi-annual friends and family anniversary summer bonanza 50% off sale that seems to happen every other week...

Comment

The "Dappered Space" series has been a nice change of pace from the monotony and I've appreciated the variety of it. However, I would be overjoyed to go to the main page one day and discover something new instead of reading about how BR or J Crew is having their semi-annual friends and family anniversary summer bonanza 50% off sale that seems to happen every other week...[/QUOTE]

Shout out for Jomers.
          I know they're infrequent, but I buy something from nearly every drop.
          Several pairs of VBC trousers for $75 that are amazing...

Comment

What I'd like to see is stop advertising people to overly dress up when WFH (like today's first article). There's a wide range between wearing sweats and understanding that in light of the current situation wearing a suit, etc. even for a video conference is probably major overkill. It can show a lack of understanding for the circumstances and I believe off-putting more than intended. Has anyone here done it or been in a situation where they thought it necessary? Also, how would this approach leave one in the dust, "Succumbing to an all-sweatpants-all-the-time life will only get you left in the dust, once this cloud lifts. Seriously."? Once quarantine is over I am going back to my suits, ties, etc. In the interim I am adapting to the current situation. I wear jeans some days ... I wear sweats some days ... I'm wearing shorts right now.

I like many have been on video conferences multiple times a week now for over a month. I used to wear a suit and tie every day. Most of the people I interact with did. I have not seen one tie, jacket, or heck even collared shirt since this started. Have you?

Comment

hahahahah, I had the exact same thoughts on that article. No, I'm not wearing a suit on a Zoom call, screw off.

Comment

Pretty sure my wife will think I've lost my mind if I wear a suit to work from home. I get that it's best to maintain a routine, but I think if you take a shower and throw on some jeans you're doing pretty good right now. Also, sweat pants are COMFY (and so are hoodies)!

Comment

I thought I would try to keep up some semblance of dressed-up-ness while in pseudo-quarantine, but tbh most days when I'm not in court and working from home I'm just wearing athleisure. It sure makes it easy to walk my dog multiple times as I do to break up the day. I don't find it hinders my feeling of being productive or work-focused. Honestly I am in a position where the work keeps coming at me continuously, via phone and email, so I don't really need much reminder of what I'm supposed to be doing.

But I'm still appearing in court some days, and on those days it's business as usual in terms of jacket + tie.
                  Ben

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                    Pretty sure my wife will think I've lost my mind if I wear a suit to work from home. I get that it's best to maintain a routine, but I think if you take a shower and throw on some jeans you're doing pretty good right now. Also, sweat pants are COMFY (and so are hoodies)!
                    Same story at my house. Not only would my wife think I'm crazy, but I'd probably be laughed off the Zoom call if I showed up in a suit.

Personally I'm just as productive in gym shorts and a t-shirt as I would be if I "dressed up". Like hockeysc23 said, I don't think we'll have any problem remembering how to put on a blazer or a tie once all of this over. I definitely don't need to practice it during quarantine.

Comment

It's already moved too upmarket, IMO, both in articles and forum threads. I come here to find good deals related to dressing well on a limited budget; not to read posts about who has the most killer Rolex. I've already figured out 'not very affordable' style on my own, and I like that as well. This is discussed, ad nauseam, over at Ask Andy About Clothes.

Comment

i want the comments section on articles to come back!

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                          It's already moved too upmarket, IMO, both in articles and forum threads. I come here to find good deals related to dressing well on a limited budget; not to read posts about who has the most killer Rolex. I've already figured out 'not very affordable' style on my own, and I like that as well. This is discussed, ad nauseam, over at Ask Andy About Clothes.
                          Ah man, I get that that's your opinion, but I can assure you that Dappered has room to go far more upmarket. The boutique brands I suggested are mid-market brands consistent with Dappered ethos; if I wanted make upmarket suggestions I would have suggested Carmina, Crockett & Jones, Crombie, and Mr. Porter - their Mr. P brand is less eclectic than the other designer brands on their website. Crombie just had a 50% off sale that dropped their coats from $1,000 to $500! That sounds expensive but that discount is an absolute steal for an upmarket heritage brand like Crombie.

Comment

+1 for going slightly more upmarket and exploring new brands. Even if just to test the waters.

The comment about the sales wash is spot on. But we also need to recognize that is how the website makes money - referral links.

One reason I’d say let’s move upmarket is because some of the tried and true have disappeared or the quality has gone downhill. Take J Crew for example. Their suits are not the same fabrics they once were, fits are atrocious, construction of garments is bad. BR has gotten better in some aspects. But I recently saw Express on here? Come on. Might has well pick up a Walmart dress shirt and get equal or less quality.

I’ve always looked at dappered as a site that maximizes the balance of cost to quality. Sure a $500 coat 50% off is still a lot... but IF the quality 3x 4x or 10x a $200 coat then it’s worth a mention to a segment of the population of the website.

Comment

Considering Covid, what about asking for recommendations for local suppliers? The mom and pop purveyor that only a local would know? Maybe a little research from Dappered HQ, and we all can find someone who makes the best example of said widget in their locality. Everyone has their tailor, but does that tailor make bespoke or MTM suits too? Have you bought one? Does someone local to you do pocket squares? What about shoes?
                              Let’s see if there’s a way to support local purveyors, and help keep them in business, while also supporting the Dappered ethos, looking good on a budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X