Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• armedferret
    replied
    Sorry to hear Alex. Hoping this passes quickly for you.

On the humanitarian front, Savile Row is getting into the swing. Huntsman and Cad & The Dandy are making scrubs (gratis of course) for NHS workers. Thats pretty awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Alex.C
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Just found out Caleres laid off about 250 AE employees, albeit "temporarily". I feel for those folks.
    Yeah, it is not fun to be in that position right now. I'm collecting unemployment for the first time in my working life (19 years) due to a COVID-19 related lay off and it is as stressful as I'd ever imagined and then some.

At least the yard and deck are gonna look killer this year

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Just found out Caleres laid off about 250 AE employees, albeit "temporarily". I feel for those folks.

Leave a comment:

• Sideswipe
    replied
    Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
    I saw this, and I believe Allen Edmonds is doing the same. This news, along with a decent sale, inspired me to buy a new oxford. Whether itÂ’s a marketing ploy or not, I definitely would rather buy a product from a company doing good things over one that isnÂ’t.
    I bought one of their MiUSA oxfords too as an (admittedly small) expression of appreciation/support, and plan on doing something similar for AE when I get a chance. I would also 100% buy a repp stripe face mask, should BB offer a consumer line at some point.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
    I saw this, and I believe Allen Edmonds is doing the same. This news, along with a decent sale, inspired me to buy a new oxford. Whether it’s a marketing ploy or not, I definitely would rather buy a product from a company doing good things over one that isn’t.
    I'd venture a pretty reasonable conclusion that they're doing it because it's the right thing to do, with the known side effect that it won't cause a dip in sales long-term. The "win-win" of lore.

Good on them. Good on AE. Good on the individuals on etsy, social media, and just plain anyone else out there with time on their hands making an effort to help.

I was honestly completely disgusted with the majority of humanity at one point (a subject about which I could rant for days, but it does nobody any favors and i try to avoid dwelling on negativity as much as possible). It's terrible that it took something like this to do it, but that faith has been overwhelmingly restored.

Everyone stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• MIS997
    replied
    I saw this, and I believe Allen Edmonds is doing the same. This news, along with a decent sale, inspired me to buy a new oxford. Whether it’s a marketing ploy or not, I definitely would rather buy a product from a company doing good things over one that isn’t.

Leave a comment:

• Galcobar
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    There's still need for non-medical grade masks. I think the N95 masks are to try to prevent the wearer from getting the virus - other masks are still helpful for regular folk who want to prevent inadvertently spreading it if they are asymptomatic carriers. And if the regular folks are using the non-medical grade masks that theoretically frees up more medical grade masks for the people who need them.
    Correct. N95 masks will stop 95 per cent of particles greater than 0.3 microns in size. This won't stop individual viruses at 0.125 microns but it will stop the aerosolized droplets expelled by a cough which are how SARS-CoV-2 is primarily transmitted (assuming the respirator is worn tightly enough to create a seal). They're primarily needed to protect the uninfected in close proximity to the infected, which is to say health care workers. Trouble is that they're difficult and expensive to manufacture to certified standards.

N95 are also a poor choice for patients to wear long-term because they're uncomfortable (even painful or damaging if you have thin skin as most elderly people do), and make it hard to breathe (bad for someone with a respiratory infection).

Surgical masks are looser fitting, and won't stop aerosols. They will protect the wearer from large droplets, sprays or splashes, but don't reliably filter inhaled air. They are better at catching exhalation, so are best worn by those worried about infecting others (patients, and potentially infected but asymptomatic health care workers).

A non-medical-grade cloth mask is even less protection for the wearer, but may reduce the chance the wearer will spread an infection. It therefore can be a useful supplementary measure to flatten the curve. That is, if the wearer isn't constantly fiddling with it and contaminating their hands, and doesn't think a mask is a substitute for handwashing and physical distancing.

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied
    Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    Will I be able to find the 365 line of masks in outlet malls near me? Can't afford mainline BB.
    It's 346, after the address on Madison. But, ahem, I wouldn't know about malls.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    There's still need for non-medical grade masks. I think the N95 masks are to try to prevent the wearer from getting the virus - other masks are still helpful for regular folk who want to prevent inadvertently spreading it if they are asymptomatic carriers. And if the regular folks are using the non-medical grade masks that theoretically frees up more medical grade masks for the people who need them.

Leave a comment:

• stuffedsuperdud
    replied
    Originally posted by flatbear View Post
    not n95s...
    There's always that one guy........

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    Will I be able to find the 365 line of masks in outlet malls near me? Can't afford mainline BB.

Leave a comment:

• flatbear
    replied
    not n95s...

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Need that golden fleece to go with my outfits.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    But will they have the Brooks Brothers logo?

Leave a comment:

• CK83
    replied
    Are they the non-iron kind or the regular kind? In all seriousness, I really appreciate this, and other manufacturers that have taken the initiative to do similar things without being ordered to do so. Definitely taking note and will be supporting brands like this even more after this passes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X