Bronze Watches With Tropical Face/Dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze Watches With Tropical Face/Dial

What is the consensus on the bronze/tropical brown watch combinations out there? Joe's post to the main site today has me SO tempted on the Glycine Combat Sub watch. I've been pretty tempted ever since seeing the Tudor Black Bay Bronze a while back (out of my price range), but as Joe's post mentions...do you think the bronze thing is going to come and go? Part of the draw of the bronze is that it ages and develops a patina over time. Which is a cool characteristic, but if in three, five years the bronze "thing" is long gone, it may still look out of place.

Basically, I'm looking for someone to talk me out of spending $400 on an impulse buy! Ha!

I showed my wife a Patina’d bronze watch that I was interested in. She told me that it just looked dirty. I am over bronze now.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
      I showed my wife a Patina’d bronze watch that I was interested in. She told me that it just looked dirty. I am over bronze now.
      I hadn't really looked at a lot of pictures of the patina'd versions...now that I have, I think I like how the bronze looks new better. A bit of research on the tropical brown faces and bezels has me questioning those a bit too. I guess the style originally comes from watches that were originally black, and sun faded to what is now known as a "tropical brown". So it's almost like having a pre-scratched acrylic crystal...but I still want one!

Comment

The bronze patina thing is interesting. The patina is supposed to help harden the watch case, so instead of degrading it like tarnish or rust, its beneficial to the case. They’re supposed to take in the identity of the wearer, with each patina being specific to your environment, etc. I’m not sure how much is a gimmick or sales pitch to move bronze from storage. The tropical dial, however is pretty much a non starter for me. A vintage dial with a nice fade is different, as long as it shows even wear. Otherwise it’s just a brown dial. Not like a broken pair of boots, more like distressed denim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
          Its a great inspiration.

Comment

If you like the look, I don't think bronze will get to a point where people will snicker.
            I picked up a Glycine Combat Sub w/bracelet ( non bronze ) at the Costco warehouse for $289.
            It's one of the most comfortable watches I have.
            Last trip in, they still had them in-store.

Comment

Working...
            X