GAP Basic Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAP Basic Belt

I just saw this in the main page's "10 Best Bets for $75 or Less" and it reminded me this.

I had recent purchased that belt in the cognac color - I'm not sure if the belt is a lot better in other colors, but even at the $23 I paid for it I thought it was pretty crappy. The front felt like wax paper more than leather and the back side was dry and scratchy. I have a hard time imagining anyone else here being ok with that quality, even given the low price. Is the quality just better for the other colors or did I somehow get a terrible copy?

I'm not super impressed with the Gap belt. Given how long belts last (I have two belts in my rotation that are 10-15 years old), I'd pay an extra $25 or so for a better option somewhere else. Or, keep an eye on Costco--the Kirkland belts are a solid deal when they have them.

Also, I bought a Banana Republic belt a couple of years and it's not bad, and it only cost a few dollars more than the Gap version at the time.
    Last edited by facelessghost; March 18, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

As someone who recently replaced their casual belt after almost 15 years of service, I completely agree with facelessghost. IMO you're much better of spending $70 on a quality belt that will last 10+ years opposed to buying a cheap one that will fall apart after a short time.

Comment

My GAP Basic belt has lasted ten years. Maybe they were higher quality then.

Comment

Mine is pretty nice at any price for a causal belt. Real hide, made in US even. From 2018

Comment

Originally posted by DrewCPA View Post
            My GAP Basic belt has lasted ten years. Maybe they were higher quality then.
            Same. I'm still rocking my Gap basic leather belt for the past 12 years. No signs of slowing down, either.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmotioneer View Post
              Mine is pretty nice at any price for a causal belt. Real hide, made in US even. From 2018
              Purchased mine ~2014. When the buckle prong broke recently (insert fat comment), I liked the patina that had developed enough that I added a new buckle to save/reuse the leather portion. Yeah, not premium leather but nice for casual every day belt...

Comment

I have the cognac and brown. The brown is significantly higher quality. I bough them both in 2016?

Comment

IMO, you can't go wrong with Tanner Goods belts for casual wear and Trafalgar or AE for dress belts. Yeah, they're not cheap but I can promise you they'll last years and years.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                    IMO, you can't go wrong with Tanner Goods belts for casual wear and Trafalgar or AE for dress belts. Yeah, they're not cheap but I can promise you they'll last years and years.
                    Agree. I mentioned earlier that I recently replaced my casual belt. I decided to go with the "standard belt" from Tanner Goods. Well worth the money seeing as how it should last me a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X