No announcement yet.

Impact of COVID-19 on Dappered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm waiting for the "N95 How to Wear It" post on the main page.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepping It Up View Post
      I'm waiting for the "N95 How to Wear It" post on the main page.
      Nah, we all know how Joe feels about skin-tight items. For N95 to be effective it has to be pressing lines into your face, which doesn't fit the Dappered aesthetic of apparel which skims the body and is comfortable to wear.
      /s

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
        I'm not a medical professional and maybe you are--you sound very knowledgeable. But question: Why do they keep saying not to touch your face until after you've washed your hands if the virus needs to be "aerosolized"? Touching my face doesn't aerosolize the virus, does it?
        Apologies, missed seeing this earlier. Not a medical professional, but my education and career lies in doing research, identifying relevant and reliable sources (as well as the opposite), and using that to guide decisions.

Personal hygiene is akin to wearinga seatbelt when in a car. Your odds of getting into a injurious or fatal crash are low on any single outing, but we spend so much time on the road that the probability of it happening at some point becomes high, and among a large enough population it's guaranteed a certain number will occur.

Moreover, the eyes and nose have direct connections to the respiratory system without the kind of protections which are built into our mouths. They are much more delicate and absorbent mucous membranes, so better pathways for a coronavirus to survive and transfer to the lungs. My prior post was perhaps not as clear as it could have been; I was referring only to droplets deposited onto food and then consumed.

That's also why cloth masks and improperly worn N95 masks are as much or more likely to promote infection as to prevent it. By breathing into them you create a nice, damp environment in which the virus can survive. People who aren't used to wearing masks will constantly be adjusting them, touching the damp mask and their face more than they would without a mask. Besides which, when inhaled air will follow the path of least resistance, entering through any openings rather than through the filter medium, defeating the whole point.

In a healthcare setting it's a different matter. Even cloth masks are good at catching exhalation, so keeping any infectious agent from getting out. That mostly blocks sick patient coughs and sneezes. Healthcare workers are used to masks, so won't fiddle with them or touch their faces after touching the mask. Just as importantly, they're at high risk of becoming infected and can transmit the virus before becoming symptomatic, so wearing a mask prevents them from unknowingly spreading it.

In the end, SARS-CoV-2 is largely unavoidable. Lacking immunity through prior exposure or a vaccination campaign (at least 18 months away, if the very first trial vaccine proves effective), most of the population will almost certainly contract it at some point. The goal is to slow the spread enough that the sick don't overwhelm the healthcare system. If that occurs, as it did in Italy, people will die from lack of care who could have survived. The chain of infection growth is exponential, but that also means each case prevented is an exponential reduction.

Handwashing also prevents other illnesses, such as food-borne norovirus. Preventing other illnesses preserves the healthcare system's capacity for dealing with the pandemic.

Comment

I'm late to this thread, but I've essentially put being Dappered on hold. Yesterday, I wore my orange REM shirt and shorts (Texas, y'all). Today, it was my gray REM shirt and shorts. At least, I think I wore pants today.

Also, I don't need clothes, so there is no sale, aside from 100% off (with free Prime 2-Day shipping...what am I, a farmer?) that could compel me to spend money on them.

Oh, I did buy one thing. A house. I close on April 15!

Comment

Well my latest unintended dappered revelation thanks to COVID ... I own more under shirts than I have space for them designated. I never really noticed since I wore one everyday for work under my button downs. Well I haven't worn a collared shirt in weeks nor under a sweater. Finally washed them and realized I am about 1-2 under shirts over my designated space.

Anyone else with some unintended dappered revelations?

Comment

I decided I should update my t-shirts now that I’m wearing them more frequently. They’re all (basically 6) from Gustin about 4-5 years ago. So I backed a campaign and got excited when it was fully supported!

And now there’s little indication of when they might actually be made and ship

I don’t mind that much. It’s a minor price to pay given everything other people are going through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                Well my latest unintended dappered revelation thanks to COVID ... I own more under shirts than I have space for them designated. I never really noticed since I wore one everyday for work under my button downs. Well I haven't worn a collared shirt in weeks nor under a sweater. Finally washed them and realized I am about 1-2 under shirts over my designated space.

Anyone else with some unintended dappered revelations?

unfortunately i've realized i need to redecorate my entire apt lol

Comment

WTF do you mean my tailor is not essential?
                  I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

My tailor is running reduced hours as he also does dry cleaning, which is apparently essential. Unfortunately I have no suits for him to tailor. Maybe I’ll have a few taken in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X