Advertised vs Actual Shoe Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertised vs Actual Shoe Color

I just ordered a pair of Carlos Santos loafers that were advertised using the two pictures to the left (along with many more shots from different angles like these), but what was delivered is the photo to the right. All sites that sell Carlos Santos note that because the shoes are hand painted, actual colors can slightly vary. That said, in my opinion, the actual shoe color is WAY off compared to the item listing. I'm curious what people here would do in this situation. Maybe the color will grow on me, but I was expecting something dark with a bit of red in it and the shoe I received is nothing like that.

That’s a significant difference in color that doesn’t come down to hand painting, IMO. It’s not a different shade or a little bit different burnish application - it’s straight up a different hue that is much more of a yellow, almost greenish brown than a red brown as advertised. That’s basically the difference between AE’s chili color (red-brown) and their bourbon color (walnut tan with black burnishing).

What is the return policy? If you don’t like what you received, you should return them. If you think they’re fine even if they’re different from what you expected, then keep them.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 5, 2020, 09:07 PM.
    Ben

Comment

Ignorant questions warning: Shoes are sometimes painted? Is that just another way to say how they were dyed/polished by the manufacturer, or is it something different?

Comment

Thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about the shade. My fiancé really likes it, so maybe it will grow on me. I'll give it the weekend and see. They were purchased from A Fine Pair of Shoes in England, so not a simple return. I reached out to them and they mentioned that the actual color is what I'm seeing and that their stock photos are off. I'm not sure I entirely buy that given the drastic difference in hue. That said, this was my first order from AFPOS and they were great. Order came with free cedar shoe trees and Saphir wax and arrived 36 hours after ordering. Carlos Santos shoes are already well priced (remember to take out the VAT) and then AFPOS has a 10% Styleforum discount too. Why I'm leaning towards keeping these.

Btw, spell check overwrote me - should have said hand patinated, not painted. "These shoes are patinated by hand so there can be variations in colour and shade. We do try to keep our pictures accurate, however with this hand finished process, differences do occur and this is not a sign of poor quality."

Comment

Working...
        X