Oxblood shoe polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxblood shoe polish?

I've got a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in oxblood that are due for a polish. Red wing only offers burgundy, which is probably fine, but they charge a lot for shipping (maybe the local store has it). Or should I look for actual oxblood polish? Several brands make one with the name (Bickmore, Cadillac Select) and everybody and their mom makes burgundy. Also, maybe cordovan would work? Maybe I'm over thinking this. I just have a few scuffs I'd like to cover up

Originally posted by bassopotamus View Post
    I've got a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in oxblood that are due for a polish. Red wing only offers burgundy, which is probably fine, but they charge a lot for shipping (maybe the local store has it). Or should I look for actual oxblood polish? Several brands make one with the name (Bickmore, Cadillac Select) and everybody and their mom makes burgundy. Also, maybe cordovan would work? Maybe I'm over thinking this. I just have a few scuffs I'd like to cover up
    I've used a number of burgundy type color creams and polishes on my Allen Edmond oxblood shoes. I have free shipping on Amazon.

I think the last I got was a Saphir in mahogany and it was fine for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have about 20 or 30 colors available--including burgundy.

Note: All the shoes I have in some of the more unusual colors have changed somewhat as they age. Sometimes it's from the polish color, I suppose, and sometimes from the natural patina/aging process. I don't worry too much about minor variations.

But if you are wanting an exact color match--well, I'm not sure how to do that.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Thanks. I think close enough will do. I'm not even sure that oxblood from one brand to another means the same thing anyway.

Is Saphir generally considered among the best of the creams? I used to use meltonian (never had this color) but I think they are no more

Comment

I match shoe polish the way I match belts--as long as it's in the ballpark, I don't worry about it.

Though, you probably don't want to be polishing Iron Rangers. I'd think some leather conditioner and a good brushing would suit them better.

Comment

Oxblood shoe polish?

I’ve hit them with Lexol a couple times. I know they are “rugged” but the toes are bothering me a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. I think close enough will do. I'm not even sure that oxblood from one brand to another means the same thing anyway.

Is Saphir generally considered among the best of the creams? I used to use meltonian (never had this color) but I think they are no more
            Saphir is generally considered near the top of creams.

The Shoe Snob recommends Saphir's products:

https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2019...-you-want.html
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I'd also agree that Saphir on Iron Rangers is way overkill. If you're still interested though, this is by far the best guide I've found on the different shades and which to use on which color shoe:

https://www.skolyx.se/en/content/46-...-medaille-d-or

Comment

Bick 4, a neutral conditioner, will work plenty fine on those bad boys. Or Mink Oil if you wanna get fancy.

Saphir is really intended more for the dress shoe/boot crowd, but if you *REALLY* wanna, I spose you could probably use the Mahogany or Burgundy (depending on how much red-tint you want for them) saphir cream to add a little pigment if they're getting faded.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I have a jar of Saphir in their Bordeaux colour, which I would think is close enough for your purposes. I've honestly never been too concerned with trying to match a color 100%. In fact, for non-black shoes I think it provides a handsome depth-of-color. to use a colour a bit darker or different I occasionally even use black polish on my brown and burgundy shoes, and unless you gob it on thick and leave it overnight, it won't be all that noticable.

Comment

Working...
                  X