Where to press a suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to press a suit?

Alright, I'm going to ask a question that will probably be very obvious to you suit wearers, but since I don't wear a suit regularly, I don't know the answer to it .

I ordered a suit that got delivered in a small little box and I'm going to bet that it has wrinkles due to the packaging. I'm pretty sure one doesn't just iron a wool suit--so where would I take it to get it pressed?

Is the answer obvious like a dry cleaners? Aside from being pressed, the suit must be maintained in it's new, unaltered state (I don't know if dry cleaning invalidates that like washing a new garment would) since I need to return it if it doesn't fit (it's a Kent Wang suit).

I just take my suits (all two of them) to the dry cleaner around the corner and they've done a good job of pressing when I didn't need them cleaned.

Comment

Take 'em to the drycleaner and ask specifically for them to be steamed and pressed. Should cost $4-8 per piece, depending on the cleaner. You'll get the wrinkles removed without the wear-and-tear inherent with drycleaning.

Personally, I maintain my suits and other dryclean-only items by brushing them after wear, steaming them myself, and occasionally having them steamed and pressed professionally. Unless you have actually stained the garment, I wouldn't generally advise drycleaning more than once a year, if at all.

Ben

Comment

Dry cleaners it is. Thanks guys.

Comment

Before you spend the money at the cleaners, you might also try the shower trick. Hang the suit up in your bathroom and take a nice, long, hot shower (no fan). That can sometimes relax some lighter wrinkles, though it sounds like your wrinkles might require a little more work than that.

Ben

Comment

@BenR - how many times do you wear a suit each year?

Would you advise that rarely if it was worn 25 times? I feel like my pants get sweat on them over time and worry about smell.

Comment

I'd say I wear a suit 12-25 times per year. I let it air out between each wearing so smell is never a problem.

Steaming should take care of most anything that causes smells - the hot water will kill off anything living in the fibers of the suit. If you wear suits regularly, I'd recommend buying your own steamer and steaming after 2-3 wears. If you wear suits daily, you should probably own at least five, so that each one can air out for a week before being reworn.

Physically removing debris from the suit (with a horse hair brush) will also help reduce odor and remove any food source for bacteria or other critters that might try to take up residence.

Ben

Comment

I think a steamer is a must own item for the dapper gentleman. Easy to find for around $60-$70 and will save you a ton over time on dry cleaning fees

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Working...
                X