Items you've bought then abandoned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items you've bought then abandoned

I used to be a regular mud mask guy. Religiously. Every Sunday night, 30 mins before bed, I'd slap on a mud mask ans relax. Key words here are "used to be". I haven't done a mud mask in 6 or maybe even 8 months now. Every time I reach under the bathroom sink I see the mud mask there, reminding me of my shame.

I also have a good collection of pocket squares that don't see the light of day. For a while there I was all over pocket squares. Looking for new patterns, new styles, new folds, etc. Lately though, not so much.

What about you folks here? Are there any items/trends/styles that you jumped on, then over the course of weeks/months/years(?) dropped them because they weren't for you? Or maybe you just lost interest?

Colorful shorts and pants, like bright greens, pink, yellows. Used to wear them often, but I reach for navy’s and khakis much more often now. It’s just much easier to put and outfit together with the normal colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Waxed cotton outerwear. Seemed so cool... so on-trend ... so... heritage. Two huge problems, for me, though. First, the wax/oil/whatever is thermally conductive, so the jackets aren't *warm*. Second, if I'm the least bit active, the lack of breathability turns the inside into a steam sauna. There is a good reason that this "early tech wear" has been passed by for much better solutions.
      Mark

Comment

This probably falls outside most guy's perception of what "dappered" is but I periodically get into moods where I think I'm going to get into jewelry (rings, bracelets, pendants, earrings - why not, I've already got the piercings, might as well use em, right?) and wear lots of jewelry for a while but I almost always get tired of it and revert back to no jewelry except a watch.
        Ben

Comment

Interesting that all the examples so far aren't so much something that didn't suit as they are ones that required extra effort, and subsequent burnout.

I tend to sit on purchase decisions for a long time before buying, so can avoid things that would require more mental expenditure to fit into my wardrobe. Helps cut down on the buyer's remorse.

One exception: a cream web belt that is still in its wrapper. Bought for summer casual wear at the end of the season on sale, but never got the shoes I'd feel comfortable wearing it with. Doesn't help I've basically stopped wearing shorts.

Comment

I used to own a whole bunch of watches. The irony is that I hate wearing a watch. I now own one watch - the battery is dead and I haven't worn it once in the past 5 years.

Comment

Between being pretty methodical about what I buy and having a short leash on getting rid of items that aren't working, I don't have many things I've kept and abandoned.

The closest for me is quality winter accessories. These are items I know I should own and are worth keeping, but I very rarely need them. The leather gloves get the most use and have been worn less than 5 times this year. The merino scarf and hat are still brand new.

Not clothing related but loosely linked like OP's masks, I've tried countless natural deodorants and none have performed well enough for me to keep using them.
              Last edited by wsupjs; March 1st, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Double edge safety razors. I started using them on advice from a Dappered thread. I stuck with it for about a year because it did help a lot to minimize razor burn. What I didn't like was the extra time it added to my shaving routine and the nicks. Oh man the nicks. I eventually realized that disposable two blade razors (not to be confused with double edge blades) worked just as well if not better. They don't give me razor burn and I can shave much faster without getting any nicks. I do miss the low cost of replacing blades though.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  Double edge safety razors. I started using them on advice from a Dappered thread. I stuck with it for about a year because it did help a lot to minimize razor burn. What I didn't like was the extra time it added to my shaving routine and the nicks. Oh man the nicks. I eventually realized that disposable two blade razors (not to be confused with double edge blades) worked just as well if not better. They don't give me razor burn and I can shave much faster without getting any nicks. I do miss the low cost of replacing blades though.
                  I had a somewhat similar experience until recently. Tried DE razors periodically over the last decade and never liked them... always lots of blood and I found them very imprecise to use in tight spaces like under the jaw, under my nose, etc. Until recently I’d been a devotee of the Philips OneBlade electric trimmer.

I saw a DE razor handle on sale on a shelf at TJ Maxx a couple weeks back and bought it on a whim. Turns out whatever is different about this particular handle and blade makes it nearly perfect for me... been shaving with it the last couple weeks without any cuts. It’s been great.

Anyway that’s a long-winded way of saying I think it takes a lot of trial and error to get the DE razor that’s right for you and I definitely sympathize with the frustration of not finding one and reverting to something more user-friendly.
                  Ben

Comment

Along the lines of shaving... I’ve periodically grown a beard and, while bearded, always manage to acquire a buttload of beard grooming products (oils, balms, beard-specific shampoos and conditioners, brushes, trimming scissors, beard shaping templates), before realizing I just hate the feeling of hair on my face and end up scraping it all off. Every time it happens I usually buy new beard products rather than using the old ones I already have, because I convince myself that if I find the right products, maybe I won’t hate the feel of a beard on my face as much. It never works. Ended up chucking a BUNCH of products when I Marie Kondo’d my house this past holiday season.
                    Ben

Comment

Multiple final sale sport coats that don't fit me great...

Comment

For me it's sweaters, especially heavier ones. I really want to love them, but I am someone who runs hot, so it needs to be fairly cold before I even think about putting them on (under 15 degrees). And even then, my body temp tends to fluctuate enough that I would just prefer to have something that I can take on and off easily like a cardigan instead of something that I need to remove awkwardly over my head. I have about 4 heavier sweaters that I pulled out for winter but haven't moved once. Even my lighter sweaters I haven't worn very often this season either.

Comment

Great and fun topic. The major ones over the past year: pocket squares and sweaters.

I used to travel via mass transit. That led to being outside more so I made sure I had sweaters in almost every color. I don’t think I’ve worn one this season. They also keep our office freezing but I just haven’t been into wearing them.

I also really loved pocket squares. Used to always wear one. Now it’s just an extra step and I already find myself out of time wrangling a little one, gym, job, side job and hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                            I used to travel via mass transit.
                            Very similar story, i used to have a job in downtown boston, and took public transportation there usually. I bought a bunch of long overcoats to cover up from the cold wind. A nice wool/blend one from uniqlo at first, then nicer wool or cashmere ones from thrift/ebay which also needed tailoring a tiny bit. I probably have five or six hundred dollars and a lot of trips for tailoring tweaks into these coats at this point. I bought a house out of the city and commute via car now, and haven't used ANY of them the entire winter, since. Now they take up an entire wardrobe basically.

womp womp
                            Last edited by evanparker; March 2nd, 2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

It makes me sad admitting it, but most of my dress shoes (AEs). My office has gradually gotten more casual, and I just find myself reaching for them less and less. I know most of them would still look fine with what I wear, but in the colder months I gravitate more towards boots, and in the warmer months I wear mostly loafers and camp mocs. They still get worn from time to time, but it's gone from an every day thing to more like a couple times a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X