No announcement yet.

Items you've bought then abandoned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a new job last year. Since then I haven't worn my pocket squares nor my waistcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      I had a somewhat similar experience until recently. Tried DE razors periodically over the last decade and never liked them... always lots of blood and I found them very imprecise to use in tight spaces like under the jaw, under my nose, etc. Until recently I’d been a devotee of the Philips OneBlade electric trimmer.

I saw a DE razor handle on sale on a shelf at TJ Maxx a couple weeks back and bought it on a whim. Turns out whatever is different about this particular handle and blade makes it nearly perfect for me... been shaving with it the last couple weeks without any cuts. It’s been great.

Anyway that’s a long-winded way of saying I think it takes a lot of trial and error to get the DE razor that’s right for you and I definitely sympathize with the frustration of not finding one and reverting to something more user-friendly.
      Same with me. My winning combo is the Merkur 39c (long handled slant) and Gillette Black Platinum blades (sharp but much more forgiving/consistent/durable than feathers). I stopped with all of the other lather, brush, prep pageantry though as I found it tedious and found regular Aveeno canned gel straight to the face worked just as well as all the fancy soaps/prep. I have a really nice shaving bowl that I keep because it looks cool though.

Comment

My Lederhosen were a spur of the moment purchase and I have only worn them twice. Such a shame.

Comment

This probably falls outside most guy's perception of what "dappered" is but I periodically get into moods where I think I'm going to get into jewelry (rings, bracelets, pendants, earrings - why not, I've already got the piercings, might as well use em, right?) and wear lots of jewelry for a while but I almost always get tired of it and revert back to no jewelry except a watch.
          No piercings, but I used to wear a lot of jewelry--necklaces especially. Pendents usually were symbolic of something meaningful in my life. Never wear them anymore.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by Greek Trojan View Post
            Same with me. My winning combo is the Merkur 39c (long handled slant) and Gillette Black Platinum blades (sharp but much more forgiving/consistent/durable than feathers). I stopped with all of the other lather, brush, prep pageantry though as I found it tedious and found regular Aveeno canned gel straight to the face worked just as well as all the fancy soaps/prep. I have a really nice shaving bowl that I keep because it looks cool though.
            I've gone a similar route, figured out the Muhle R89 and Muhle blades work really well for me and now the prep honestly doesn't even matter anymore. I wet my face thoroughly and apply some Cremo shave cream by hand and it works fine.
            Ben

Comment

Fortunately I've been really good the past few years about donating items I no longer use, but if there is anything of mine that qualifies it would primarily be my professional cold weather apparel and accessories.

I used to have to walk approx 1.5 miles round trip to the office each day so having a quality overcoat, scarf, hat, gloves, etc was a necessity especially for those frigid, windy days. However, I started a new job outside of the city last summer and now spend 99.9% of my commute in the car and just have to walk a few hundred feet from the parking lot to the door. I can now get away with leaving the house in just a sweater or light jacket.

I've decided to keep everything because those sort of items never really go out of style and I guess they don't take up that much space, but it hurts a little when I see them just sitting on the shelf unused.

Comment

I had a somewhat similar experience until recently. Tried DE razors periodically over the last decade and never liked them... always lots of blood and I found them very imprecise to use in tight spaces like under the jaw, under my nose, etc. Until recently I’d been a devotee of the Philips OneBlade electric trimmer.

I saw a DE razor handle on sale on a shelf at TJ Maxx a couple weeks back and bought it on a whim. Turns out whatever is different about this particular handle and blade makes it nearly perfect for me... been shaving with it the last couple weeks without any cuts. It’s been great.

Anyway that’s a long-winded way of saying I think it takes a lot of trial and error to get the DE razor that’s right for you and I definitely sympathize with the frustration of not finding one and reverting to something more user-friendly.
                there is a popular misconception that all blades and razors are the same when it comes to DE shaving. far from the truth, as you found out. Once you find a combo that works, you dont have to do all the extra prep people talk about. I can splash my fce with warm water, rub my shave soap on my scruff, do a quick little and lather with my finger tips, and shave. rinse with cold water. Some people turn it into a whole process...and I do sometimes just for fun, but it doesn't have to be. Under the nose is still tough. I actually have one of those cheap disposable razors that I use for that little bit under my nose and the shave my neckline between haircuts.

Comment

V-neck sweaters. I wore one this winter for the first time last week. I used to have them in every color of the rainbow. Now I have maybe 2-3. I just find myself reaching for more "interesting" sweaters that aren't merino v-neck.

DE razors for sure and all the fuss that goes with them. Now I maintain the perpetual 5-day stubble look and only trim my neck with a Harry's razor and some Cremo. But I tried to get the super close shave with DEs, only to donate roughly seven units of blood every time AND...it grows out just as fast. Effectively, I doubled the time it used to take me to shave by getting all fancy with it.

Finally, my Meermin shortwings in copper antique calf. The comfort (or lack thereof) of Meermins notwithstanding, I find myself reaching for that lighter shade of shoe...practically never. Perhaps that will change as spring and summer rolls around, but even then, I tend to go casual with loafers or canvas sneakers much more often than I pull those out.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
                    Finally, my Meermin shortwings in copper antique calf. The comfort (or lack thereof) of Meermins notwithstanding, I find myself reaching for that lighter shade of shoe...practically never. Perhaps that will change as spring and summer rolls around, but even then, I tend to go casual with loafers or canvas sneakers much more often than I pull those out.
                    This

I stopped wearing walnut/tan dress shoes in favor of dark brown & black...
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
                      Colorful shorts and pants, like bright greens, pink, yellows. Used to wear them often, but I reach for navy’s and khakis much more often now. It’s just much easier to put and outfit together with the normal colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Colorful pants and shorts for sure. I used to have almost every color but it’s much less practical now. “Preppy”/fun for sure, harder to pair consistently with outfits when a navy or khaki, or other earth tone will do.

With pocket squares - I used to have several pattens and designs, but now I only have 3 white ones. Whenever I’d want to wear a colorful one, nothing beat the crisp white look of a white one. While the colors garnered more compliments, the white straight fold is just classic and consistent.
                      Oral B.

Comment

I find myself wearing my blazers very infrequently these days. My office has also gotten more casual over the years. Though I still largely wear the same wardrobe (chinos/sometimes jeans with button down shirts), I find I often just throw a sweater over them, instead of going full blazer. I will wear them on occasion now, but they largely just hang in my closet.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                          I find myself wearing my blazers very infrequently these days. My office has also gotten more casual over the years. Though I still largely wear the same wardrobe (chinos/sometimes jeans with button down shirts), I find I often just throw a sweater over them, instead of going full blazer. I will wear them on occasion now, but they largely just hang in my closet.
                          my blazers and ties are just sitting in the closet, lonely and bored for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                            my blazers and ties are just sitting in the closet, lonely and bored for the same reasons.
                            Me too, and I'll bet this is the case for many people here.

Also, I bought a green Filson standard briefcase a couple of years ago and I've barely used it after the first month or two, despite it having been something I wanted very badly for a couple of years before I got it. I have a green Filson tote that I use all the time as a carry-on bag or to haul stuff for the kids, and I have Filson's discontinued and horribly misnamed "tablet briefcase", also in green, which is my daily work bag. The standard briefcase was supposed to replace my beloved J. Crew Abingdon bag, but it never quite clicked for me.
                            Last edited by facelessghost; March 4th, 2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                              Me too, and I'll bet this is the case for many people here.

Also, I bought a green Filson standard briefcase a couple of years ago and I've barely used it after the first month or two, despite it having been something I wanted very badly for a couple of years before I got it I have a green Filson tote that I use all the time as a carry-on bag or to haul stuff for the kids, and I have Filson's discontinued and horribly misnamed "tablet briefcase", also in green, which is my daily work bag. The standard briefcase was supposed to replace my beloved J. Crew Abingdon bag, but it never quite clicked for me.
                              I love my Filson tote. Replaced my ugly work backpack.

My sport coats get no play though they never really received much when I had to dress up more. Wear into work then hung up, only to be worn again when I was going home.

Comment

Main thing for me is probably my house slippers. My home is mostly covered in tile and laminate, my heels were killing me so I bought house slippers thinking it would help. They didnt really help much, and I abandoned them.

Comment

Working...
                                X