Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Edmonds Factory Seconds - Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have probably 20 pairs of AE seconds, Maybe 4 pairs of AE firsts I bought 'on sale' at regular full price. When I bought my first two I had to figure out the sizing really well and I sure did. I love these first AAE shoes I bought, i think I am even wearing a pair of them at work right now.

I have probably returned 2 pairs of AE seconds because they had serious issues.

I have definitely returned 3 pairs of AE seconds purely because they didn't fit like I had been hoping (i had been trying to get some loafers, and fit is hard with wide feet...)

that is a pretty good ratio, i would say.

I LOOOOOVE me some Allen Edmonds Seconds. <3

Comment

So the chukkas arrived today. I ended up biting the bullet and ordered 2 different sizes of the Williamsburg since I never got to try on the 8.5 3E in the store and I was afraid there wouldn’t be enough room, so I also got a 9 E that was available. I now believe that I am a 8.5 2E on this last.

The 8.5 3E feel like the right length and are comfortable in the width. If they had 2E it would be a perfect fit. There are some blemishes of course since these are seconds, namely the leather on the toes is a touch darker and a couple of scratches.

and there is a scratch towards the back .

Overall not too bad and I can probably add polish to the scratches to make them look better.

Comment

The 9E actually are in better condition. The only thing I see is a little scuff on the side near the welt on one boot. These were a little more snug on the width, which will get better with wear, but my foot does slip a little while walking. I could probably put some adhesive cushion inside the boot to stop the slipping if I decide to keep this pair. They are in better overall shape and I don’t mind the little bit of snugness on the width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally, the suede Nomads also arrived from Amazon. The fit is great, but disappointingly the issue is that the nap on the toe of one of the boots is non-existent, so it looks like a stain. Not sure if I can fix it in any way?

So there you have it. I’m definitely keeping one of the pairs of the Williamsburg, and if I can make the Nomads look better then those stay too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess this will be my new rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice find with the Williamsburgs. I can't actually distinguish any noticeable flaws from the pics except when you really zoom in.

You can try going over the funky spot on the Nomad with a suede brush or a scotch brite pad. Technically what you are supposedly doing is raising nap that might have gone flat, but if the spot is truly bald, this might not work except perhaps to add new texture to where there was none before, thus blending it together with the not-bald part. That said, I would not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it, and it's suede so it'll get covered in dings and dents soon enough anyway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
              Nice find with the Williamsburgs. I can't actually distinguish any noticeable flaws from the pics except when you really zoom in.

You can try going over the funky spot on the Nomad with a suede brush or a scotch brite pad. Technically what you are supposedly doing is raising nap that might have gone flat, but if the spot is truly bald, this might not work except perhaps to add new texture to where there was none before, thus blending it together with the not-bald part. That said, I would not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it, and it's suede so it'll get covered in dings and dents soon enough anyway, right?
              Thank you for your comments. I’ll try the suede brush and see if it helps. I didn’t think it was too bad at first but then my wife commented on it which got me thinking that it was noticeable. I’m hoping I can save them because at $150 these are a steal.

Comment

Working...
              X