Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations? Short Time to Find Some Stylish "Urban Hiking" Boots

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Recommendations? Short Time to Find Some Stylish "Urban Hiking" Boots

    One of the things we like to do when we travel is go for long walks around cities. And our some of our favorite cities can get pretty wet. Next week, we're headed for Portland, Oregon.

    A few years ago, I picked up some Clarks boots with padded leather uppers and rubber soles. The soles did not look like sneaker soles. They looked good with jeans and I felt comfortably stylish walking into a gastro pub, a dive bar, a hotel bar, or some such place wearing them in the day time.

    But they also worked for times when sidewalk hiking lead to muddy dirt walkways through parks and such.

    They were freakin' durable, comfortable, and still looked great after hundreds of miles walking.

    They were also discontinued.

    A few weeks ago, I got them very wet and dirty working in the yard. I took them off outside to not drag the dirt inside. In the sun. And it got hot. For a few days before I remembered.

    I put them on yesterday and discovered they are now ruined. They de-laminated inside or something. Like the glue holding the padding onto the leather upper melted in the hot sun and then hardened in a misshaped blob inside.

    I need a replacement before next Thursday when we leave and sooner so maybe I could break them in a little bit first. I just ordered these from Clarks, but I think they are ugly. There were a couple others there that looked good, but not my size (12 or 13--usually 13 in shoes for walking).

    https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Ashcombe...TEX/p/26135409


    Also just ordered these AE Alpine Chukka boots, factory 2nd's, waterproof, etc--but I'm not thrilled with that color
    Now I might need to pay the $25 restocking.

    https://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/fa...alpine&start=1

    And these Wolverines, which I have not ordered:

    https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/harw...799432845.html


    Those actually look the best to me. But now I'm hesitating because of the others I've ordered.


    Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by mebejoseph; February 21, 2020, 02:35 AM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

    #2
    Justin Fitzpatrick's Snoqualmie is a great city hiker, I'm wearing mine today. But I'd say they lean more towards fashion than function. Your best bet of those listed is probably Wolverine. Red Wing or Thursday might have options too.

    Comment


      #3
      IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

      The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
      Ben

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

        The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
        one exception...if you find a boot/shoe that is comfy and keep rebuying it. I found some clear winners for me on trails and I know I cna order them in a particular size and no breakin required. That seems boring and probably doesnt apply here but it works for me with this ind of thing. My recommendation for this application...go to the stores and try stuff on. Establsihed hiking companies now make "lifestyle" models that might meet your needs. Look at Keen, Merrell, Sorel, Danner, and Vasque. Hit up REI to try them on. Dont discount Timberland either. They dont last as long s they used to back in the day but they still have several comfortable and light models. All of these brands are outdoor oriented so they will have either waterproofing or a design that helps keep water out even if they arent truly waterproof.

        But to [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] 's point, if I were in the same situation I would be grabbing my known shoes. I have a pair of 1901 gum sole wingtips that are shockingly comfortable and my Bjorn chukkas are as well. To that point, look at both of those brands actually.


        also, all the brands you listed are dress shoe or workboot companies that have expanded to "hiking". I dont have great luck with the comfort on those as a whole.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
          Justin Fitzpatrick's Snoqualmie is a great city hiker, I'm wearing mine today. But I'd say they lean more towards fashion than function. Your best bet of those listed is probably Wolverine. Red Wing or Thursday might have options too.
          Yeah, I thought of those, but the three times I've purchased from him, it took a long time to get the merchandise. Maybe I can shoot him an email and see.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

            The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
            Yeah, I know. I just don't have anything else other than my running shoes. One of the disadvantages to owning so many shoes is that none of them get properly broken in.

            One of the great things about those Clarks boots is the padding on the inside. of the upper The day after I got them, we put six miles on them and no problem.

            After I paid full price for them, about a year later, I see them on clearance for half price--I should have picked up another pair.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
              Yeah, I know. I just don't have anything else other than my running shoes. One of the disadvantages to owning so many shoes is that none of them get properly broken in.

              One of the great things about those Clarks boots is the padding on the inside. of the upper The day after I got them, we put six miles on them and no problem.

              After I paid full price for them, about a year later, I see them on clearance for half price--I should have picked up another pair.
              those were my bjorns too. out of the box comfy. They may be too casual for you but check them out. I can walk a long time in my J Crew Kenton boots but standing is less pleasant. Whatever you get, I suggest some merino socks. They let you wear thicker socks without increasing foot sweat and reduce friction. game changer for walking IMO. I wear merino year round now.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                My recommendation for this application...go to the stores and try stuff on. Establsihed hiking companies now make "lifestyle" models that might meet your needs. Look at Keen, Merrell, Sorel, Danner, and Vasque. Hit up REI to try them on.
                Yeah, there's an REI about 20 minutes away. Maybe I'll try that. I hate shopping brick and mortar, but I may not have a choice.

                Thanks.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  Yeah, I thought of those, but the three times I've purchased from him, it took a long time to get the merchandise. Maybe I can shoot him an email and see.
                  He has been doing a lot of pre-orders in the last year and not carrying so much inventory it seems like. Not sure if that's a change in the business model or a temporary shuffle in operations. I too hate waiting for stuff to come in, not having stock will often lead me to look elsewhere.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have a pair of these in the Honey color and really like them.

                    https://taftclothing.com/products/th...-boot-in-brown

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by alexd3 View Post
                      I have a pair of these in the Honey color and really like them.

                      https://taftclothing.com/products/th...-boot-in-brown
                      Those look interesting.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                        Yeah, there's an REI about 20 minutes away. Maybe I'll try that. I hate shopping brick and mortar, but I may not have a choice.

                        Thanks.
                        REI sells online if you don't want to shop in the store. For footwear I prefer brick and mortar because fit is so crucial. You can get anything you buy online sent to the nearest store for pickup for free, so no need to worry about shipping charges.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I would like to give a huge recommendation to the Danner Vertigo 917. I've had them since this past summer and I have really fallen in love with them. Personally I love the look of them, that mix of Chelsea boot and hiking shoe really appeals to me - I feel like they feel at home both on the trail and in the city. I've taken them hiking in the mountains in Colorado as well as on a weekend trip to DC that involved a ton of walking. One of the things that I truly love about them is how quick they are to take on and off. Pretty much every other boot I own, even my other pair of hiking boots, takes more time to take on and off. I am not sure I would call them perfect, I wish the insole was a bit thicker/had more squish to it and the leather on them isn't the highest quality by any means, but if you like the look of them, I would highly consider giving them a try.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ito View Post
                            I would like to give a huge recommendation to the Danner Vertigo 917. I've had them since this past summer and I have really fallen in love with them. Personally I love the look of them, that mix of Chelsea boot and hiking shoe really appeals to me - I feel like they feel at home both on the trail and in the city. I've taken them hiking in the mountains in Colorado as well as on a weekend trip to DC that involved a ton of walking. One of the things that I truly love about them is how quick they are to take on and off. Pretty much every other boot I own, even my other pair of hiking boots, takes more time to take on and off. I am not sure I would call them perfect, I wish the insole was a bit thicker/had more squish to it and the leather on them isn't the highest quality by any means, but if you like the look of them, I would highly consider giving them a try.
                            Thanks, I like them--but that white or off-white sole--I'm not sure that's me.


                            But these--maybe

                            https://www.danner.com/portland-sele...rween-rio.html
                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think the white soles are what kind of give that slight sneaker vibe that makes them feel like they are meeting in the middle of rugged hiking boot and a more urban style shoe, but I can totally see why that is not appealing to some.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X