Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Shoes Do You Wear to the Office When it is Raining / Pouring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Shoes Do You Wear to the Office When it is Raining / Pouring?

What shoes do you guys wear to the office? I work in a business casual office as a senior leader and nearly always wear wool pants and a button up. Very rarely do I wear a jacket and am more dressed up than anyone in my office at any time. Most wear a polo / dress shirt and jeans or a chinos except for a very select few.

It was absolutely pouring this morning and I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out which shoes to sacrifice. I ultimately chose the suede chukkas - which sounds nuts but they are sprayed. Am I overthinking this? What do you wear in the rain? Am i being too scared of a little water? If not, what do I need to add to my wardrobe?

Here is my current collection. I snapped a pic because i just built this shoe rack in my closet

Top shelf:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...ognac-calf-371

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...rown-suede-371

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...c-suede-monaco

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...r/SF69130.html

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...na-laces-brown

Middle Shelf:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...ts/SF0112.html

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...um-cognac-soho

JCrew Ludlow Suede Chukka (cant find a link to them)

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/evan...ot/21782M.html (brown)

I'm in suits, so it's leather balmorals every day regardless of weather.

TL;DR Pair of cheaper rubber-soled smooth leather shoes, polished well, for ugly weather.

Road salt mixed with snow is the only real concern I have, even for suede, and that's just a few days a year. A quick post-walk wipe usually suffices to protect smooth leather though.

If the snow is bad enough to require extra traction I'll switch to my old work shoes (heavy boot tread) and carry a pair for the office.

My leather shoes are all properly polished, so it's not as if rain or spray are a concern to the uppers. The exception is when walking a long enough distance that I have to worry about soaking through the soles or grinding the softened leather to nothing on pavement. I resoled an old pair of oxfords in rubber and bought another rubber-soled pair as winter beaters, though the latter has earned itself a place in the rotation year-round.

My area gets enough rain that mud isn't an issue on pavement; dirt gets washed away before it builds up.

Comment

First, I love how many pairs of Cobbler Union shoes you have! Do you live close to the store? I love the one pair I have.

Next, I think you are being overly concerned. It doesn't rain a lot here, but when it rains, it often pours, and I've never ruined any decent pair of dress shoes by getting them wet in the rain. Are you walking in a lot of mud or standing water for extended periods? If not, you should be fine wearing your regular shoes. If you are, perhaps consider overshoes or over boots.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Overshoes or work boots. No way I would wear bare leather on a bad day in one of the 9" rain months.

Comment

My suede pairs get the call for days it might rain. If it's pouring before I step out of the house then I'll opt for an old beater pair of double monks on dainite.

Comment

I wear leather dress shoes everyday and rotate between those (monks, wingtips, captoes, etc.). I've never had rain water damage leather shoes. It will leave a spot for a few minutes and then dry and look exactly as it did before.

The only reason I would wear specific shoes would be if I'm worried I'll be walking through salt/snow or mud.

Comment

Rain isn't much of an issue here but when it's gushing and I might be outside a bit, I'll wear my waterproof AE Surrey

Comment

They don't win me any style points I'm sure but when it's raining I usually wear a pair of sneaker boots (currently the Foresake Range). The deal is I either bike 9.5 miles in (then back for about 19 miles round trip) or have a mile and a quarter walk to the nearest metro station (I live in the DC area). It's either wear out a bunch of shoes fast - or be more comfortable (lets face it if you're doing serious walking dress shoes are sub optimal) and preserve my dress shoes for the office. If I drove to work and camped out in an office all day I wouldn't worry about it and would just wear whatever leather shoes I thought looked best with my outfit - unless you have to park far away from work a little rain will not hurt well cared for leather shoes.

I have a cabinet where I have like 5 pairs of dress shoes/dress boots at work. I just change into whichever pair I feel like when I get to the office. This is key for bike commuting - if I were only going 3-5 miles I might be able to do it in work clothes on a mild day but nearly 20 miles round trip it's much more comfortable to ride in actual biking clothes. I keep a couple sets of trousers and sportcoats plus a suit or two at work along with the shoes at all times to minimize daily packing for my commute.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have one pair of rubber Clark’s dress shoes that are passable with wool pants and a jacket. If it calls for a suit day I have a couple rubber soled coles that I wear.

I’ve slipped once in the way in so now it’s about having traction at the substitute of style.

Comment

I have a pair of Blundstone 500s that I wear often when it's raining. They are innocuous-looking (very dark brown), highly water-resistant, and very comfortable for walking. I dress probably a little more casually than you do, but I think they would work in your situation.

Comment

I have two pair of the JC Penney boots (con't remember the names) that were popular on here a few years back. One brown, one black. The brown ones got me through the salt and slush of the great New York blizzard a few years ago. I just polish em up and keep em for that specific purpose. They have rubber soles and are nearly waterproof and at $60 each or so, if they get ruined, I don't care. They look fine with anything from jeans to suits.

Comment

If it's really snowy, I wear my inexpensive Banana Republic "work" boots, but that's for the tread--if I had a more expensive version, I'd wear those. In general, I wear my shoes with no special consideration for the weather. In the words of a mentor from my past life, "they're not made of Jolly Ranchers." (He was talking about riding bikes in the rain, but the principal holds.)

In Alchemy, Rory Sutherland has a funny comment about a "Darwinian" approach to dishes--that is, if you want your dishes to be dishwasher safe, just throw everything in the dishwasher. After a while, everything that's left will be dishwasher safe. I'm trying to take a similar approach to clothing. I don't want to have to baby my clothes, so I don't. Or at least I try not to (some things are easier said than done).

Of course, your mileage may vary--I might feel differently if I were wearing Cleverly instead of AE.

Comment

I'm in Texas. What's "rain?" Did I even spell that right?

More often than not, I wear my Higgins Mills when it rains. They're mostly bulletproof and the Dainite sole is a plus.

Comment

goretex combat boots.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                              First, I love how many pairs of Cobbler Union shoes you have! Do you live close to the store? I love the one pair I have.
                              If you look at my posts, i am one of their biggest supporters. I do live in Atlanta but truly believe they are the best value in the shoe industry. I also own a gorgeous leather briefcase (which they no longer make) and a matching wallet. I just wish I could afford the weekender that matches it all LOL!

I live about 45 away and honestly have a hard time spending so much on shoes but I truly love them, their staff, and their service and am confident their product is worth every cent.

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                              Next, I think you are being overly concerned. It doesn't rain a lot here, but when it rains, it often pours, and I've never ruined any decent pair of dress shoes by getting them wet in the rain. Are you walking in a lot of mud or standing water for extended periods? If not, you should be fine wearing your regular shoes. If you are, perhaps consider overshoes or over boots.

If you walk to the car in a downpour, will the shoes not be at risk of having water spots etc? That is my biggest concern. I am not out in snow or mud so that is not a thought at the moment. I do try to avoid leather soles in the rain but my chukkas do have leather soles.

Comment

Working...
                              X