Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Shoes Do You Wear to the Office When it is Raining / Pouring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neminat View Post
    If you walk to the car in a downpour, will the shoes not be at risk of having water spots etc? That is my biggest concern. I am not out in snow or mud so that is not a thought at the moment. I do try to avoid leather soles in the rain but my chukkas do have leather soles.
    To answer your question with a question... Do any of your current shoes have water spots on them?

If not, then you have literally never gotten a drop of water on them, or it’s perfectly fine to wear them in the rain because it’s not going to damage them.

In all seriousness though I think you’re just being overly cautious. Rain won’t damage the leather unless you’ll be standing in puddles for extended periods of time. I’ve walked a mile plus some in my leather dress shoes in the rain and have never experienced water damage.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
      I'm in Texas. What's "rain?" Did I even spell that right?

More often than not, I wear my Higgins Mills when it rains. They're mostly bulletproof and the Dainite sole is a plus.
      I’ll see your Texas and raise you SoCal. I do have to pause when looking at the lawn that’s been freshly watered though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cole Haan has some smart looking waterproof shoes (Wagner Grand and Kennedy Grand), Clarks has a Gore Tex waterproof chukka, and Timberland has a bunch of casual but non-rugged waterproof boots.

I used to wear the slim Hunter chelsea rubber boots, but in just a few months wear they developed tiny holes where the toe bends, so avoid rubber boots. I figure waterproofed leather will last way longer than thin rubber for as long as it's conditioned well. Now I wear Sorel chelseas. They're not as slim/sleek but they're good enough with chinos, and the soles have good traction.

Comment

Originally posted by lgball View Post
          I have two pair of the JC Penney boots (con't remember the names) that were popular on here a few years back.
          I still have my Deacons, and my Gunners, and they're both excellent for rain.

i also rock my allen edmonds aberdeens a whole lot

and lastly my Strandmoks, which are getting pretty long in the tooth at this point.

When it's crappy out, and conversely quite warm, I always wear my sperrys. Very easy to dry if they get wet, and the relatively soft rubber sole actually does just fine in a wet asphalt situation. TONS of traction.

I have a long drive in a warm car, so I often just skip the snow or rain boots and cross my fingers the weather is good when i get into work :-)

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
            If you walk to the car in a downpour, will the shoes not be at risk of having water spots etc? That is my biggest concern. I am not out in snow or mud so that is not a thought at the moment. I do try to avoid leather soles in the rain but my chukkas do have leather soles.
            I've never had water spots on my shoes that didn't just dry off (I keep a reasonable amount of polish on them). The only time I've had any noticeable damage to my leather shoes is when they've gotten wet on the inside or the soles where in standing water for an extended time. And I'd say that most of the time I've gotten them that wet, as long as a stuffed them with dry rags and let them dry slowly and out of the sun, they've been okay.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
              I still have my Deacons, and my Gunners, and they're both excellent for rain.
              That's exactly the two pairs I have. Great for rainy weather.

Comment

and lastly my Strandmoks, which are getting pretty long in the tooth at this point.
                The Strandmok was such a cool and daring design by AE. They were going for informal which might suggest a derby as the platform but they did a true oxford. The result is a great contrast -- formal oxford features but weatherbeaten and loosened up. The Neumok is similarly cool in wingtip style. I used to own a pair of Strandmoks and loved them but sold them because they were a half size too small and killed my feet. I should probably buy a replacement pair.

Comment

I think that is one of shoes that gets better looking as the leather gets worn and ages.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

IMHO you are definitely not over thinking your shoe choice. In my part of the world we get a LOT of rain and I am always fretting over what shoes to wear. Unfortunately I have one of two pairs that have now become my go-to when I know we're getting dumped on. They are a lesser quality of show and I don't worry as much if they get wrecked due to the rain. I do have a pair of Daltons too that I will break out during the winter/boot season.

But yes. I fret a lot about what shoes to wear to the office when the weather is raining out. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Comment

Either:
                      JC Penney Stafford https://dappered.com/2014/02/18-mont...d-camlin-boot/

or

Danner Vetigo 917 in Dark Grey (change shoes once in the office, leave a pair of loafers) https://dappered.com/2019/01/in-revi...917-gold-rush/

Also have a pair of LLBean Bean boots, but due to difficulty getting them on/off, I don't wear them unless it's a Nor'easter

Comment

Some relevant reading from this morning:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...-and-salt.html

Comment

I have a pair of AE McAllisters with the v-tread sole they came with during that huge sale a couple years back, and a pair of Banana Republic Chelsea boots with a rubber sole and traction grooves that are probably at the end of their service this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X