Cole Haan oxfords from DSW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cole Haan oxfords from DSW?

I have not worn black oxfords in years, but I think I should go ahead and get some because I don't think my 'british tan' oxfords work with every pant/blazer combo. Knowing that I wouldn't wear them that much, I'd rather not spend a lot of money on them. As such, I ran across these at DSW - https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/co...ctiveColor=230. Ideally I'd want to wear them for a function this week, and one of my local store does have my size.

The main oxford pair that I have been wearing for a number of years are Cole Haan's, and I like them. I know Allen Edmonds are supposed to be great, but I don't know about spending $300+ on them. At $129, they seem like a good deal, right? Thoughts on these?

I think the idea of going with a cheap, "good enough" shoe is fine in general.

For a black shoe, though, I would go with something more formal - a cap toe oxford with closed lacing probably. Because when you get to an occasion when you need a really formal shoe, you're going to need it to be black. So if you own one black shoe, it should be able to go the distance in that regard. Something like:

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/me...ctiveColor=001

Otherwise, if you are just looking for an alternative to your tan shoes I'd probably opt for something in a more versatile color like a dark brown.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      I think the idea of going with a cheap, "good enough" shoe is fine in general.

For a black shoe, though, I would go with something more formal - a cap toe oxford with closed lacing probably. Because when you get to an occasion when you need a really formal shoe, you're going to need it to be black. So if you own one black shoe, it should be able to go the distance in that regard. Something like:

Otherwise, if you are just looking for an alternative to your tan shoes I'd probably opt for something in a more versatile color like a dark brown.
      Honestly, I've never liked cap toe shoes. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's because when I need to wear 'dress' shoes I'm not generally super formal. It's the standard slacks and blazer combo, so I've felt the plain toe shoes were a bit more 'neutral'.

I do see what you are saying about the overall formality though. I'm also guessing you aren't referring to full "tux" formal (I have a Suit Supply combo with shoes for that).

What about general quality from DSW? Are these noticeably crappier quality than if you bought from Cole Haan directly (using Cole Haan as an example)? Or is it in the "yeah, not quite as good quality, but at that price, the price/quality equation lines up"?

Comment

DSW carries the same cole haan models as Nordstrom etc. As with any cole haan shoe, I think the quality is int he $60-75 range IMO. I have to LOVE something about the shoe to pay more than that. Otherwise I would look at 1901, J&M, Florsheim, Aston Grey, and some others as well. All about the same quality. I have $35 Ben Sherman black oxfords that have lasted me fro like 8 years...because I hardly ever wear black oxfords. Im not wasting money on something I need for funerals and the occasional conservative job interview. I caught a pair of Cole Haan wingtip boots on clearance for a really low price and wore them 3 days a week for like 4 years and they are still intact. I worked in an office so they saw pavement int he parking deck to my front door and then sat at a desk and walked on carpet. Thats a soft life for a shoe lol. But with as long as they have lasted, I wouldnt be mad if i had paid $130.

Comment

Plain toe black balmorals without broguing are also an option, and sufficiently polished can do black tie duty. An alternative for decent quality at a lower price point is the Joseph Abboud line, sold in recent years through Men's Wearhouse. Wait for one of their 30 or 40 per cent off sales; I signed up for the weekly email notice before I bought mine. They were originally going to be just winter beaters, but quickly earned a regular spot in the rotation and are still looking good five years later.

Comment

For what it's worth, I bought the black Cole Haan's that I linked only to immediately return them the next day. I tried them before I bought them, and while I did't love them, I chalked it up to not really liking black shoes. When I got home, I tried them with what I might consider wearing them and still didn't like them. I can't point to one thing, but overall the shoes looked cheaper than their $130 price tag (by a heft amount).

Comment

I don't think it's been adequately explained here that these are derbies and not Oxfords. The style is OK with a sports jacket but not the best for a suit.

Comment

As a couple of others have mentioned, Cole Haan and other similar brands are a decent deal at < $100 if you're just looking for something functional, but I don't think I would pay $130 for a pair.

Comment

Working...
                X