Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• facelessghost
    replied
    [MENTION=21416]garryowen47[/MENTION], black suits are not faux pas, they're just not as useful as other colors in most circumstances.

OP, don't be that guy--it's not your wedding, so don't change the dress code. The rental idea is a good one. Or you can just buy a cheap suit for the occasion.

Leave a comment:

• garryowen47
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    My 2 cents if the groom (likely the bride) says black do black. Don’t skirt the rules for yourself.

There is a noticeable difference I’d say in most brands from black to dark gray/charcoal.
    You're correct about the noticeable difference between black and charcoal, however, if the bride and groom are fashionably inept enough to mandate a black suit, they're probably too inept to notice the difference between black and charcoal. Besides, the color differences between black suits also vary widely, particularly depending on the material (i.e., worsted wool, polyester, blends, etc..). Furthermore, again proving the couple's lack of sartorial knowledge, since they are not mandating where to purchase the suit, they're also allowing a dramatic difference in suit styles, (i.e., two button vs. three button; notch vs. peak lapels). This couple's poor guidance is inviting a sartorial catastrophe that they don't even realize they're walking into, which is why the appropriate approach is for the OP to offer feedback bringing uniformity to the wedding party. I'm certain that they will welcome his feedback if he explained the disaster that they're entering into with the poor guidance - especially if he's able to offer a specific alternative, i.e. charcoal, two-button notch lapel wool suits from SS or SM. He will have saved them from a wedding party disaster.

Leave a comment:

• garryowen47
    replied
    If you're a close enough friend to be in his wedding party, then surely you're a close enough friend to tell him that a black suit is faux paux. Just tell him that he doesn't want to look back on his wedding day and see he and his groomsmen cosplaying as Men in Black characters. It sounds like he's trying to articulate black tie but without the sartorial knowledge to properly execute it, which brings me back to my earlier point: if you're close enough to be in his wedding party, you should be close enough to advise that he choose either black tie or a charcoal suit. The middle ground (i.e., the black suit) is going to look tacky. Heck, as someone with more knowledge on menswear, your feedback will probably be taken as a welcome favor.

You can also note that the charcoal suit will be more versatile. In a similar situation, I had to purchase a charcoal suit for my buddy's wedding and the suit ended up in my regular work rotation. Contrarily, a black suit would have collected dust.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    My 2 cents if the groom (likely the bride) says black do black. Don’t skirt the rules for yourself.

There is a noticeable difference I’d say in most brands from black to dark gray/charcoal.

I have one black suit. Sadly it’s just for funerals and other similar occasions. But it doesn’t hurt to have one.

Leave a comment:

• klindsey
    started a topic Dark Grey Instead of Black?

Dark Grey Instead of Black?

I'm in a friend's wedding party this fall and trying to figure out what suit to wear in advance so I can shop around and get a good deal. He is not dictating where we buy our suits, he just wants everyone to wear a black suit. I understand that black suits are a no no, but I will not bring this point up with my friend. This is his wedding, so he gets to do what he wants without a lecture on menswear. I'm wondering if I can get away with a dark or charcoal grey instead of black. I don't own a dark grey suit and would like to use this as an excuse to get a charcoal suit if possible. If not, I'll probably just rent a black suit from black tie or where ever because I don't think I need a black suit.

Looking at the Spier and SuitSupply dark grey/charcoal suits online, they look pretty dark. Dark enough so I don't stand out? I'm not sure. Anyone have any in-person experience with these? Other thoughts?

SuitSupply: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...=grey&pdp=true

Spier: https://www.spierandmackay.com/charcoal-gray-39591.html
Working...
X