Dark Grey Instead of Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
    I've been wanting a black blazer for a while, any recommendations? I was keeping an eye on Uniqlo.
    Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I have a Brooks Bros one in black cashmere, with soft shoulders, notch lapels, two button front with pewter buttons, and a single vent, which I like to pair with gray mohair trousers, white shirt, dark tie, and either black captoes or black velvet slippers. Pretty useful for vague evening dress codes, such as cocktail attire, or for black tie optional sorts of affairs where hardly anyone actually wears a proper black tie rig. BB has a similar one in stock right now, but it's rather expensive, esp for something you won't get that many wears out of; if you have time and patience to keep looking, I would suggest that anything that has some texture and relaxed shoulders and clearly not an orphaned suit jacket is good to go. The texture itself I'd prefer something from the flannel/velvet/woolen family, as opposed to hopsack or fresco, since it's probably going to be more for cool weather / evening use.
    I have a cashmere blazer that sounds very similar. It is my most versatile blazer (and my second cashmere blazer, because I wore the bejesus out of the first one).

Highly recommend if you can find one. The one I have now I got at a Men's Wearhouse sale for (seriously) about 85% off a couple of years ago. How can you miss for 100% cashmere for about $100? I paid more to have it tailored than for the jacket.

I bet the BB is even nicer.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
      I have a cashmere blazer that sounds very similar. It is my most versatile blazer (and my second cashmere blazer, because I wore the bejesus out of the first one).

Highly recommend if you can find one. The one I have now I got at a Men's Wearhouse sale for (seriously) about 85% off a couple of years ago. How can you miss for 100% cashmere for about $100? I paid more to have it tailored than for the jacket.

I bet the BB is even nicer.
      How do you normally wear yours? I'd like to use mine more but always end up wimping out in favor of a blue blazer unless I'm doing the aforementioned black tie lite thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
        How do you normally wear yours? I'd like to use mine more but always end up wimping out in favor of a blue blazer unless I'm doing the aforementioned black tie lite thing.
        I hope the OP doesn't mind us hijacking the thread. I wear it from casual to dressy. I even wear it with dark jeans sometimes; I like the combo of dark blue jeans, oxblood shoes, matching belt, and a white or light blue shirt.

I also wear it with charcoal or light gray trousers. Usually black shoes Almost any color dress shirt, but not usually a plaid. I rarely wear a tie--my wife doesn't like them when we go out. If I'm wearing a tie, that usually means I'm wearing a suit.

But your combo with tie and velvet slippers sounds very smart.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

As many others have said, I think it would be noticeable if you tried to pull off a dark charcoal vs black. And you'll earn the scorn of his wife when you stand out ever so slightly in all of the pictures. Having said that, I would take the opportunity to get a decent black suit. I think the general rule of NO BLACK SUITS can be a bit overblown. Sure you don't wear it or an interview or for other office wear, but you will definitely (unfortunately) be attending funerals at some point in the future, and may have evening events where a black suit is perfectly appropriate (perhaps you could sneak a peak lapel under the radar easier than a different color). I'd still lean toward buying over renting just because the price difference usually isn't that huge, and you'll still get wear out of a black suit.

Not knowing anything about the suit rules, the first suit I ever bought was black. It was also cheap and terrible and has long since left my closet. I no longer own a black suit, but unfortunately find myself wishing I did whenever a funeral rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
            Black suits can look good but do go in and out of style some. They were nowhere in the 1980s, then Quentin Tarantino started making movies and everyone started wearing black suits because they thought it make them look badass like those guys in those movies. The thing we've learned since is that guys like Samuel L Jackson and Harvey Keitel look badass in just about everything. The moral being to look badass you have to be a badass or at least be good at seeming like a badass. Just wearing a black suit is not going to do the trick.

Now, black outerwear never, ever goes out of style. NYC is the most stylish city in the nation, and if you want to spot the tourists in NYC in the winter it's easy - they're the ones not wearing black coats.
            In my experience it is harder to find a wool coat in a color other than black.

Comment

Working...
            X