Tailoring Waxed Canvas Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailoring Waxed Canvas Jacket

I am 6'4", athletic, and wear a medium tall. As many of you know, that's not an easy size to find. I have been searching for a waxed canvas jacket for a few years now with no luck. I really want the F&T waxed trucker jacket, but it comes up to my belly button. And I've given BR and J Crew three winters to come out with something, but they do not seem interested in a jacket that far into the workwear category.

So I recently purchased a medium long Filson tin cloth jacket. It fits well in the chest and the sleeves are a good length, but as I expected, there is enough room for me to smuggle a case of beer in the midsection and have some space left over. I am considering trying to have it tailored, removing several inches from the midsection down and a little bit in the sleeves. Has anyone tried this before? Any success?

or does anyone have any recommendations for this unicorn medium tall slimmer fitting waxed canvas jacket I've been looking for?

Thanks

Similar position to you ... I occasionally look at the slimmer Barbours and think about getting new sleeves fitted: https://www.barbour.com/us/repairs-reproofing, https://askandyaboutclothes.com/foru...roblem.139011/

Comment

Thanks for the links [MENTION=15212]otoba[/MENTION] . I had seen that Barbour would do work on the jackets, and if I had a Barbour, I would not hesitate to send it back to them to fix it. Filson doesn't appear to offer this same service -- probably because their jackets are geared more toward outdoor work where people care less about that perfect fit. I may swing by the local Filson store this weekend and see what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
        Thanks for the links [MENTION=15212]otoba[/MENTION] . I had seen that Barbour would do work on the jackets, and if I had a Barbour, I would not hesitate to send it back to them to fix it. Filson doesn't appear to offer this same service -- probably because their jackets are geared more toward outdoor work where people care less about that perfect fit. I may swing by the local Filson store this weekend and see what they think.
        I don't see why a waxed cotton jacket would be any more difficult to tailor than a non-waxed cotton version with the same construction. Maybe they'd need a beefier needle and thread to punch through the waxed fabric but other than that it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. One thing you do have to be careful of is that they will be cutting fabric from both the front and back panels (assuming it has a side seam here) and if you take too much off the front panels the pockets on the front are going to start migrating towards the sides. Too much of that and things won't look right because the pockets will look weirdly placed.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X