No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Double Breasted Suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently acquired two as i had none and wanted to dabble.

Love em.

ETA: One is a darker gray chalk stripe, the other is a blue birdseye. Both are from Suitsupply, sourced from [MENTION=21792]Suitreview[/MENTION] and while I don't have photos of me wearing them (yet), here's stock photos i quickly downloaded from his website:

graychalkstripe by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

bluebirdseye by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

I'll probably take the blue birdseye along to London for #fancydinner and the chalkstripe I *WAS* going to wear up to NYC for an appointment, but since it's on a Friday I'll likely dress down a bit.
    Last edited by armedferret; February 7, 2020, 10:35 AM.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
      I live and work in DC at a Federal Agency (not one that is involved with law enforcement, intelligence, or defense) - definitely not in the political realm. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my DB suit and have never felt like it was in any way viewed as inappropriate. I mean, yeah the jacket is slightly unconventional compared to the standard 2 button but it's still a suit. I'd be perfectly comfortable wearing mine to a Congressional hearing on the Hill, not that that will ever happen. I have worn it in meetings with Congressional staff and to OMB on occasion.
      Maybe you're the guy I saw! haha

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
        Maybe you're the guy I saw! haha
        Doubt it. These were not high profile meetings and not in specifically legal or political circles. I stick strictly to my role as an Agency worker bee.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have one and don't wear it often, although I like it. I don't think I would wear it to court, but I would certainly wear it to mediation, etc. One thing I find hard to get used to is that you don't unbutton the jacket when you sit. It makes sense, but it feels odd when you've been trained all your life on the buttoned/standing unbuttoned/sitting thing.

Comment

The answer is no for court. Shit no.

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but from the responses you're getting, it sounds like you're probably not going to be getting a lot of use out of this thing for work. If it's a winter fabric though, am I correct to assume that it's got some heft and texture to it? If so, considering breaking it up and wearing the pieces as separates; you can't do this with a smooth worsted jacket and trousers, but if it's flannel or heavy twill or something, that makes it a bit more casual. I bet that jacket would look pretty decent with gray flannel trousers + white shirt + hunter green tie, for example, and the trousers might pair well with, say, a burgundy sweater or camel sportcoat, northern lights be damned. Just some examples. Bonus points: if the buttons are black, you can replace them with brown horn, which makes the jacket even more wearable on its own.

Comment

I got one DB suit and I love it. Weird thing is when I worked in an office where people didn't wear a suit or sport coat, I wore it a lot. Now in a new office where suit and tie is common, I still haven't worn my DB suit because I don't feel comfortable yet sticking out that much.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
                  I'd also add that I see business meetings and court appearances as two separate modes of negotiation and submission. I'm not a lawyer, but I would expect my lawyer to show up in as nondescript, standard dress for that courtroom's norms as possible. Unless I hired the ghost of Johnny Cochran or something... then he better show up in a tan suit with peak lapels and a polka dot pocket square.

In a business meeting, blending in to the standard may be counterproductive unless it is an "I'm sorry" type meeting. If my same lawyer is showing up to a business meeting dressed as boring as they can, I might think I should try to negotiate harder on whatever they think the fee structure should be.
                  If you're hiring attorneys based on how fashionably they dress, you are in for some unpleasant surprises in life.

Comment

On the main question, I agree with all the other attorneys here that I wouldn't wear a DB in a professional setting. Whether you look good isn't really relevant; the point of professional wear is to look professional, not to look fashionable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                      If you're hiring attorneys based on how fashionably they dress, you are in for some unpleasant surprises in life.
                      That's not what I mean at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                        Originally posted by ianr View Post
                        That's not what I mean at all.
                        Well, I wish judges would base their decisions on how well the lawyers are dressed. I would win a lot more.

Sometimes I want to say, "your honor, I'm the only one in this courtroom who is dressed like a real television lawyer, therefore, you should rule in my favor."

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I am not a lawyer and I do not own any double breasted suits. That said, I think if you like the DB suit, go for it. Not that TV relates to real life at all, but I do seem to recall watching Law and Order and seeing a lawyer or two wearing a DB suit. So if it works on TV, then it must work in real life!

Serious though, I don't think DB suits are overly stuffy or fashion forward. Yes, they are a little more less common and a single breasted suit, but I think you'll still be able to pull the look off if you want. Again, like most things having to do with style, just make sure the fit is on point.

Comment

Working...
                          X