Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on UNIQLO?

https://dappered.com/2020/02/how-to-...ard-to-uniqlo/

UNIQLO is an oddity here in the US. They have roughly 50 locations across only 14 states, but very few people outside of those states have heard of the brand. From my experience, they have some really great basics (especially their AIRism undershirts), but their style is very progressive, even for "fast fashion" companies.

What do you guys think of UNIQLO?

I only have a few Uniqlo pieces, since the closest store to me isn't close at all. That said, I found most of their stuff to fit me decent and the quality to be excellent for the price. I have a flannel shirt that I bought from them for $15 that quality wise feels so much better than that price would suggest and it is perhaps my best fitting shirt I own.

I think with Uniqlo, part of the weirdness with them is how they choose to style their models. Most of the clothing they seem to produce is really solid basics, but the way they style their models has them coming across like a company that is way more inline with fast fashion.

Comment

I'm a fan

I had read about them long before they opened a store near me in downtown San Francisco around 2010. At first I wasn't impressed and thought it was only for the young and skinny. But I came around and have quite a number of their pieces. I know it's meant to be "fast fashion," but I've hung on to most of the pieces I've bought.

Primarily I go to them for classic sweaters and down jackets and vests. The light-weight merino sweaters in particular hold up well. The lambswool sweaters tend to pill, but I have a shaver for that.
      Their down jackets and vests are great (before you buy one read the instructions about cleaning them; they can be pretty fussy).

I like their dry-stretch sweatpants and hoodies as well. Mine are still wearing well after three years now.

I keep an eye out for their designer collaborations, especially those with Lemaire. They're worth the slightly higher price.

I'm going to try their Japanese selvedge jeans this spring.

Comment

I've tried a few items from them over the years. Some of which have been good and others not so much. Just yesterday I ordered some AIRism undershirts so I'm eager to try those when they come in.

Good = Merino sweaters (The quality and fit is solid, and it's hard to beat the price. They'll drop down to $20 during a sale.)
        Bad = Dress shirts (The sleeves were insanely long, and that is coming from someone with longer than normal arms.)
        Bad = AIRism boxer briefs (People on this site love these, but I found them to be way to short to be considered boxer briefs. They are closer to European style trunks and I didn't like that.)

I agree with Ito about their models not doing the clothes any favors. They all seem to be hunched over and wearing items that are 1 size too big.

Comment

Good timing on Uniqlo, Simon Crompton just wrote an article about their merino wool sweaters that's worth a read.
          https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...our-money.html

Comment

I have a navy unlined, unstructured, seersucker blazer which is my go-to. Only cost $30. Would buy more of their stuff if they had more stores so I could try things on.

Comment

I'd really like to try their stuff, but sadly, no tall sizes .

Comment

I have three of their fine merino sweaters - a cardigan, a crewneck, and a turtleneck. They're certainly priced affordably and they look good. As for warmth? I read that article on Permanent Style that kongmw posted upthread and either they have revamped their sweaters (mine are 2-3 years or more old) to make them much thicker/heavier or that John Smedley sweater he was using as a benchmark is the thinnest sweater ever. Because my impression of Uniqlo sweaters is they are very thin and not that warm. I much prefer Banana Republic's merino wool which is noticeably thicker and warmer - though more expensive it's worth the extra money IMO.

Yeah, I have three Uniqlos, but they probably set me back $90 total. They're great for trying out different styles - I wanted to know if I could pull off a turtleneck, so I bought a cheap one to experiment with. Ditto with the cardigan. If you want to try a look, they're a great way to jump in without spending much dough. Don't get me wrong, they provide some extra warmth, and are great for layering under sport coats, or if you want a sweater and it's not that cold. For deep freeze winter days though I grab something thicker.

I have a couple of their Heat-tech long johns and those are pretty nice - soft, they wick moisture well, and are cheaper than most of the alternatives.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I'm a fan too. They were actually a gateway drug for me when it came to dressing better. No store close by; I discovered them online. I like their boxer briefs (both AIRism and regular), socks, those merino v-neck sweaters and they're probably my second favorite for hoodies behind Gustin. Their "easy pants" and jersey shorts are great around-the-house wear too. I've also found some nice stuff for my girlfriend from them.

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
                  Bad = AIRism boxer briefs (People on this site love these, but I found them to be way to short to be considered boxer briefs. They are closer to European style trunks and I didn't like that.)
                  How long ago was this? Some of the first AIRism boxer briefs I got from them were really short, but the more recent ones are about standard to what I've found with other brands. May be worth trying again.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                    Good timing on Uniqlo, Simon Crompton just wrote an article about their merino wool sweaters that's worth a read.
                    https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...our-money.html
                    Great article, thanks for linking it!

Comment

Originally posted by ModifiedMind View Post
                      I'm a fan too. They were actually a gateway drug for me when it came to dressing better. No store close by; I discovered them online. I like their boxer briefs (both AIRism and regular), socks, those merino v-neck sweaters and they're probably my second favorite for hoodies behind Gustin. Their "easy pants" and jersey shorts are great around-the-house wear too. I've also found some nice stuff for my girlfriend from them.

How long ago was this? Some of the first AIRism boxer briefs I got from them were really short, but the more recent ones are about standard to what I've found with other brands. May be worth trying again.
                      It was within the last 8 months or so. It was pretty disappointing considering all the positive reviews people here have given them. The material seemed fine, but for me they just weren't long enough.

Fortunately they are cheap so I didn't feel bad about throwing them out after just one wear.

Comment

Their casual basics are great (airism undershirts, merino wool sweaters, etc.). Haven’t tried their tailoring and no plans to. It’s hard to look bad in uniqlo and hard to look great either, great quality for the price but super simple / basic designs.
                        Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I have several Uniqlo items in my wardrobe and I like all of them. Athletic hoodie. AirISM boxers. A turtle neck sweater. A pair of their dress pants. Several polos. All of them fit me well and I haven't had any issues. I don't hesitate to recommend Uniqlo for a place to shop.

My only complaint is the stores are few and far between. Where I live I find it a bit of trek to get to their store. Then when I do arrive, because it is the only Uniqlo store around for kilometers, the place is PACKED! Standing in line to pay, standing in line for a dressing room, etc. is all to be expected. I try to limit my trips to the store or else I'd go crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            Where I live I find it a bit of trek to get to their store. Then when I do arrive, because it is the only Uniqlo store around for kilometers, the place is PACKED! Standing in line to pay, standing in line for a dressing room, etc. is all to be expected. I try to limit my trips to the store or else I'd go crazy.
                            I've got several Uniqlo stores nearby but even when not busy they still feel crowded. I think it's the claustrophobic store design of high shelves and narrow walkways, so your personal space is constantly invaded.

Uniqlo does ship to store for free, even when the order is below the minimum for free shipping.

Comment

I like Uniqlo for inexpensive basics like t shirts and socks. Their selvedge denim and merino sweaters are also a good value. They used to have great OCBD shirts but the fit has changed and no longer works for me. Their sizing across the board has become sort of wonky since they've made inroads in North America. I used to be a size medium but now I'm an extra small. Their other stuff is hit or miss but overall the quality is good for the price. Also I find that everything made with synthetic fabrics shrinks a ton.

If you're going to a Uniqlo in Boston, don't go to the location in Faneuil Hall. It's on the second floor of what is essentially a food court so everything smells like fried food. You'll have to wash or dry clean everything before wearing. That's not the worst thing for t shirts and socks but sucks if you're picking up a merino or cashmere sweater. The Uniqlo on Newbury Street isn't far away. That location is bigger, has a better selection, is usually less crowded and doesn't smell like onion rings lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X