Evening Shirt Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening Shirt Advice

I am currently looking for a evening shirt to go with a 2nd hand tux I just bought. I have a question about studs. Is it pretty standard for a tuxedo shirt to have both holes for studs and buttons?

Unless youre getting hidden placket, yes.

Comment

Tuxes are meant to be worn with studs so they'll come with stud holes.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

The 1940s saw the introduction of a less formal shirt worn with black tie, in the form of a soft plain-front (no pleats or Marcella pique) that featured mother-of-pearl buttons rather than studs.

There's some arguments that studs are appropriate only on stiff bib-front shirts while soft-front shirts, even with pleats or Marcella pique, should have MOP buttons. Much like the tuxedo jacket, this was originally considered a deviation from formal dress (in the shirt's case appropriate only in summer) but was gradually accepted for year-round use.

A key point is not mix and match levels of formality. Combining a traditional stiff-front shirt with MOP buttons looks just as off as a wing collar that's unstarched and barely taller than the jacket.

My preference is for a spread turn-down collar on soft Marcella pique front with studs, but that's because I want to match my silver and onyx cufflinks. MOP buttons and cufflinks on such a shirt would be acceptable.

One side note is that a classic shirt would only feature three studs, or perhaps four if one is quite tall, with the lower half of the shirt closed with buttons (possibly behind a smooth placket, aka fly front) concealed under the cummerbund or waistcoat.

Comment

What would you wear with the "Mens Evening Dress Shirt By TM Lewin - Super Fitted Marcella Weave Bib/collar"?

Comment

The buttons look like mother-of-pearl, but it's hard to say with the lack of detail in the photos. It's certainly the least formal version of a shirt acceptable to wear with black tie. Cuff links don't have to match in such a shirt, though it appears to come with some.

I'd be more concerned about the reviews saying the Marcella front is see-through. The whole point of the bib is to be opaque, allowing the rest of the shirt can be sheer and breathable. Defeats the purpose if you have to wear an undershirt.

Comment

I had to carefully open up the stud holes on my TM Lewin shirt to be able to fit the studs through them. The bib isn't see-through though, it's a good shirt. Mine is a couple years old though, not sure if things have changed since then.

Comment

A man’s dress shirt can elegantly frame his face during a presentation and later absorb his perspiration during a tough round of questioning. It can play a supporting role by enhancing his sport jacket or it can stand alone and be the centerpiece of his outfit. The dress shirt ranges in price from the $9.99 Wal-Mart polyester special to over $600 for a name brand custom shirt. But why would you want to read an entire article about dress shirts?

Comment

Originally posted by neleseik View Post
                  A man’s dress shirt can elegantly frame his face during a presentation and later absorb his perspiration during a tough round of questioning. It can play a supporting role by enhancing his sport jacket or it can stand alone and be the centerpiece of his outfit. The dress shirt ranges in price from the $9.99 Wal-Mart polyester special to over $600 for a name brand custom shirt. But why would you want to read an entire article about dress shirts?
                  Huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X