Bauhaus style, but I’m broke and have very specific Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
    Homage: unless there’s a strange reason for it, (like the Bulova Royal Oak copy) the homage watch looks fine, until another watch guy sees it. Similar to the way driving a Chrysler 300 looks like driving a Rolls Royce... until one pulls up next to you.
    From a design standpoint, you can get more mileage from an in house design than from an homage design. Homage is generally a ‘best fit’ scenario, where existing parts are crammed together with a dial and bezel that are close to correct. But the movement isn’t designed (usually) to fit that cases’ particulars, so movement rings are used, and the design aesthetic is a copied one.
    Unless the case dimensions are exact, your copy can look stretched or warped. The watch being hommaged (?) is usually iconic for a reason, mainly that it’s proportions are well balanced.
    Go for original designs, it might turn out to your benefit if the watch becomes a new classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Chrysler 300 looks like a Chrysler, and I am not a car guy. I have also seen a RR 3 times in my life, so not really something to worry about.

I agree that original designs can be good, but to rule out homages, especially on a budget, rules out a lot of watches, especially if you are looking at Chinese automatics. In the OP's case he is looking for something specific on a tight budget.

Stylewise the Rodina looks fine, perhaps the movement doesn't fit the case, but is that really so bad? (Not a rhetorical question, I really have no idea what the downside to movement rings is)

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post

Stylewise the Rodina looks fine, perhaps the movement doesn't fit the case, but is that really so bad? (Not a rhetorical question, I really have no idea what the downside to movement rings is)
      For a quick fashion watch, plastic isn’t bad, if you’re going to trash it after a few years. But a watch you want to hold onto, and spend what seems like a lot of money on, a metal movement ring is much more preferable. The plastic will break down, and with many hommage watches they try to keep a similar type movement, which is usually automatic. The movement isn’t quite as secure, since is probably a generic movement holder into a generic case shape, as many of these companies are doing the quick/cheap route. But if you’re spending a couple hundred bucks on a watch, you might want to pass it on. Metal wears better with the movement, is easier to fit, and repair.
      But at that price point, I still say you’re better with an original design over a hommage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X