Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you value when buying a watch?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    My main criteria, “Is it Bulova?”
    I collect one brand, and it’s offshoots, so that’s really and truly it for me. Accutron, Bulova, and Caravelle. I have been gifted others, and purchased another that has my name on the dial, but the other 40 or so are all ABC.

    Then, where does it fit in representation? Why do I need this particular watch, does it fill a gap, is it a good representation, is there something specific about the movement, the history, does the style move me?

    Will I wear it? Size, under 41mm usually. Also height. I sold off a Precisionist Wilton Chronograph because it was too large of a dial, it mostly because it was too tall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
      My main criteria, “Is it Bulova?”
      I collect one brand, and it’s offshoots, so that’s really and truly it for me. Accutron, Bulova, and Caravelle. I have been gifted others, and purchased another that has my name on the dial, but the other 40 or so are all ABC.

      Then, where does it fit in representation? Why do I need this particular watch, does it fill a gap, is it a good representation, is there something specific about the movement, the history, does the style move me?

      Will I wear it? Size, under 41mm usually. Also height. I sold off a Precisionist Wilton Chronograph because it was too large of a dial, it mostly because it was too tall.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just curious where did the Bulova admiration begin? Why just them?

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
        My main criteria, “Is it Bulova?”
        I collect one brand, and it’s offshoots, so that’s really and truly it for me. Accutron, Bulova, and Caravelle. I have been gifted others, and purchased another that has my name on the dial, but the other 40 or so are all ABC.

        Then, where does it fit in representation? Why do I need this particular watch, does it fill a gap, is it a good representation, is there something specific about the movement, the history, does the style move me?

        Will I wear it? Size, under 41mm usually. Also height. I sold off a Precisionist Wilton Chronograph because it was too large of a dial, it mostly because it was too tall.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        well thats interesting. I dont htink I hve ver run across someone who acctually went the "one brand" route. Its a fun theoretical game to play but most people dont commit.

        Comment


          #19
          I love a good Seiko $200 diver, so this list is more for my expensive watch values! And this is not at all to say any of these watches are bad...most are absolutely fantastic and beautiful—just my requirements if I'm going to spend so many K on a watch.

          Lume is a must—sorry most Nomos and Grand Seikos. GS, please don't talk to me about how the polish on your hands is so good that you are legible in the dark. However, Nomos and GS, you are stunningly beautiful.
          Date is a 99% must—the 1% allowance being the speedmaster pro. I will give you a break because you are perfect in so many ways.
          The case can't be massive—sorry Planet Ocean. I even have huge hands and wrists.
          No useless helium escape valves—sorry seamasters. I will probably never even dive with a nice watch; heck, I even remove my watch sometimes to wash dishes.
          Prefer it to go with everything I wear, dressed up or casual—sorry Cartier Tank. You don't work at all when I'm out for a walk in my t-shirt; however you would look so perfect with my S&M Tweed blazer and overcoat.

          ...why I ended up with a Date Sub.

          Comment


            #20
            lol, helium valves bother me too.

            Comment


              #21
              I have no hard criteria, but a bunch of questions I tend to consciously or subconsciously ask myself about a watch before I commit to purchasing it.

              In no particular order, and this is not necessarily an exclusive list, but some of the things I consider:

              Aesthetics/design

              Is the watch beautiful, striking, or at least interesting to the eye? Even if the watch looks great in isolation, does it also look good on the wrist? Is the design original, transformative, or derivative? Are the details and components clearly thought out to complement each other, or does it look like a mishmash of design or that corners were cut? Does the watch evoke a particular design sensibility, style, or era? If the watch is designed to evoke a particular style or era, or to emulate a particular existing design, how faithfully does it adhere to that style, and if it deviates from that style, does it do so in a thoughtful way or a careless way?

              Brand cachet

              Is this a brand with a history or a reputation in the world of watchmaking that I would be proud to wear and proud to have seen on my wrist? Does this brand do anything innovative or unique, is it known for the quality and execution of its builds, how much of its manufacturing its in-house and how much is outsourced?

              Longevity

              Is the watch built to last? What are the materials and quality of the build? What is the cost and ease of service of the movement and length of the service interval? Are the components most subject to wear (straps, crystals, batteries, etc) replaceable? If the watch is not built to last, is it the sort of watch I am comfortable regarding as "disposable"?

              Practicality

              Is the watch easily legible? Does it wear comfortably on the wrist? Does it complement the attire I'd plan to wear it with? Is it rugged enough to withstand the conditions it will likely be subjected to when I wear it? It is easy to clean, easy to set, easy to size and resize? Is the watch versatile enough to wear in a variety of situations or is this a niche watch that I will only be wearing in isolated occasions?

              Intangibles

              Is this watch somehow connected, directly or indirectly, to some person, concept, or moment in history that I am drawn toward?

              Value

              Given how satisfied or unsatisfied I am with how a watch can answer all the questions above, is the watch reasonably priced for what I'm getting out of it?
              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 31, 2020, 01:08 PM.
              Ben

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                Just curious where did the Bulova admiration begin? Why just them?
                I bought a Bulova motion quartz, then was looking towards a vintage diver and the Bulova 666 caught my eye from an article as a value prop, and since I already had a Bulova to begin with, I got it. When my grandmother died, a Bulova watch from my great grandfather showed up in her jewelry box, so a collection of 3 has grown.
                As a vintage American brand with Swiss cache, Bulova is pretty much an American success story. Immigrant family made good and brought low by outside forces. The story of Joseph Bulova and his insight as well as the innovation of the Accutron tuning fork movement, well, there’s plenty to get excited about.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                  well thats interesting. I dont htink I hve ver run across someone who acctually went the "one brand" route. Its a fun theoretical game to play but most people dont commit.
                  The limitation is nice when it comes to collecting. I don’t have to chase that Wittenauer Blancpain stencil, or the Sears version of The Who-si-whatsit Excellence Superlative gold-tone Bi Valve Super Chronomeister in RPG white gold with the 4 line double red 3rd letter from the left, Left handed sump pump, Twist-O-Flex, septuplet compax, with bidet function.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
                    As a vintage American brand with Swiss cache, Bulova is pretty much an American success story. Immigrant family made good and brought low by outside forces. The story of Joseph Bulova and his insight as well as the innovation of the Accutron tuning fork movement, well, there’s plenty to get excited about.
                    Yep. I'm not a watch guy but I bought a vintage Bulova on eBay a few years ago because I was intrigued by the story of the brand. It's a 30 jewel automatic circa 1965 with an understated two-tone brushed metal face. Really nice looking but maybe a little on the small side.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
                      Yep. I'm not a watch guy but I bought a vintage Bulova on eBay a few years ago because I was intrigued by the story of the brand. It's a 30 jewel automatic circa 1965 with an understated two-tone brushed metal face. Really nice looking but maybe a little on the small side.
                      Watch out! I said that once too. About two 1965 30 Jewel bi color dials ago...


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I suppose I have some criteria, but I've never really thought about them/put the criteria down on paper.

                        One would be size. I am particular about not wearing SUPER big watches TINY watches either. The watch has to be in that sweet spot of lug size.

                        A second bit of criteria is quality. I research the hell out of a watch before buying it. WUS, google search, postings on here, etc. Whatever I am spending my money on I want to make sure the watch will last.

                        Finally, as my eyesight is getting worse and worse, legibility is increasing in importance for me. Can I read the watch without putting on my reading glasses.

                        The other stuff such as price fits in there too, brand name, etc. But the three items above ^^ form the majority of my criteria.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          -is <$100
                          -analogue only
                          -quartz
                          -somewhat understated (modern?) face.
                          -crystal face, no glass.
                          -mostly plain band or bracelet
                          -screw off back only, no press backs
                          -is big enough to not look like a little mole stick back next to my huge troll hands. so 37-42mm case size.
                          -bonus for japanese or swiss movement
                          -bonus for japanese brand (citizen, seiko etc...)
                          -is <$100

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X