What do you value when buying a watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you value when buying a watch?

This kind of goes to the old "7 watch guys" post but looking at more specifics. What little things do you look for when shopping for a watch? Do you have a ranking of features? I do. Of course exceptions always can happen but generally...

Appearance. I have to like the way it looks, no question. Its the first thing that makes me notice a watch.

Size. This is a multi point. I look at case size, lug to lug, lug width (I hate odd sizes and dont do integrated lugs) and case thickness. I have small wrists so its easy for a watch to be uncomfortable.

Printed dials. I hate them. I still have some but only because they were gifts. I need some texture. Painted numbers at least. Applied something or some kind of texture. Something

Sub dials on a chrono absolutely cant encroach on the numbers. This is a dumb one I know but i hate when the numbers are chopped off. I prefer just no number there. Its a hard pass if this is on the dial.

Movement. I prefer auto but am not closed off to a good quartz. Price comes into play a little here but I wont automatically rule out a quartz for sure.

Lume. I like it and if I need a tie breaker, this willb e it. But even the best lumed watches dont give me tons of function. I wish more watches had the indiglo type feature. THAT is useful.

Oddly, despite our argument in the other thread, I actually agree with all of that, although I would bet we somewhat disagree on what makes a "good" quartz. To me, it's an interesting quartz movement (Seiko 9F, Bulova Accutron, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
      Oddly, despite our argument in the other thread, I actually agree with all of that, although I would bet we somewhat disagree on what makes a "good" quartz. To me, it's an interesting quartz movement (Seiko 9F, Bulova Accutron, etc)
      yeah, good isnt always interesting lol. I like a nice meca-quartz chrono.

Comment

Values:
        1. Can I beat the hell out of it? I bang my watches into everything so it needs to take a beating. My daily is all scratched to hell and my running watch is never a V1 of a particular style.
        2. Wanker test. This is similar to the wanker test I have on cars that I stole from maybe Top Gear of old. Do I look like a wanker when wearing it? If a watch it too big this fails the wanker test. Color is different as I wear my running watch to work sometimes and it is orange but does it work with the rest of my outfit?
        3. Design/everything else.

Really if the watch can take a beating it is worth looking into...no dress watches for me.

Comment

Something that tells time and is a good value. The first one is pretty easy, the second is really subjective.

Personally, I'd never buy the "same" watch twice. If you have a black automatic diver, don't get another. Instead for for another color option or movement option.

Last, buy something you'll actually wear.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have three criteria, I guess....

Brand authenticity - I have one homage watch - a Steinhart. It is super cool, but in general I am just not moved by also-ran copies, which means that nearly every micro brand is “meh” for me.

True tool watches - I have a “garden variety” totally unremarkable Omega Speedmaster moonwatch. All of the commemorative versions hold no interest to me, because my model is actually space qualified and the other ones are not.

I generally like smaller watches - less than 38mm - I am old school that way.
            Mark

Comment

For me:
              - Can it do almost all functions? As in I want a watch for work, after work and weekend (I don't need one in the gym). So I am looking for a simple and timeless look. I'd rather have 1 nice watch than several ok watches, so it needs to be more traditional and hopefully last decades.
              - Date. I must have the date. It's something I look at frequently when dating my notes, etc. I've always had a watch with a date. The few times I didn't ... those watches didn't last long for me.
              - Brand. I guess I am a brand whore? haha Certain brands matter to me. I like their look appeal and history. Since a watch has become also jewelry in this day in age, it does factor in to me. I don't value watches that copy other styles. I'd rather wait and buy a Rolex Submariner than a Tudor. When out I can quickly spot someone's Rolex or Omega.
              - Metal band. Similar to above for the jewelry factor ... I like metal bands. My thought is also I can always switch to leather later but finding the metal band can be tough.

Comment

First and Foremost, it has to speak to me on some level: interesting movement, parent company, history etc.

Second, it has to be pleasing to my eye, which is very subjective.

Third, I avoid polished bezels as I am fairly careless with my watches and do not believe in “safe queens”. I wear my watches.

Finally, I aim for 38-40mm but really focus on wearability.

The first two values do not get broken, and three and four are merely suggestions. To summarize, I really don’t have specific rules, I just have to like the watch. Hence, my fairly eclectic collection.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  For me:
                  - Can it do almost all functions? As in I want a watch for work, after work and weekend (I don't need one in the gym). So I am looking for a simple and timeless look. I'd rather have 1 nice watch than several ok watches, so it needs to be more traditional and hopefully last decades.
                  - Date. I must have the date. It's something I look at frequently when dating my notes, etc. I've always had a watch with a date. The few times I didn't ... those watches didn't last long for me.
                  - Brand. I guess I am a brand whore? haha Certain brands matter to me. I like their look appeal and history. Since a watch has become also jewelry in this day in age, it does factor in to me. I don't value watches that copy other styles. I'd rather wait and buy a Rolex Submariner than a Tudor. When out I can quickly spot someone's Rolex or Omega.
                  - Metal band. Similar to above for the jewelry factor ... I like metal bands. My thought is also I can always switch to leather later but finding the metal band can be tough.
                  a few of those matter to me but not enough to make it a decision point. I actually prefer no date, but am fine if it has one. I like a watch with a metal bracelet because its easy to find leather straps for a watch but near impossible to find a good bracelet for one that came on leather. and if a watch comes with both options, its always cheaper to buy it with the metal than to buy the leather variant and add the metal later. By a lot usually.

on the do it all front...I am getting there. I have about 15 watches. I wear my garmin a lot. When I swap out of it, I almost always go for my Hamilton Khaki field. Like, I am to the point I would consider selling everything and going to a 3 watch rotation. Maybe 4. The omega speemaster is my retirement watch. When I get there, I think I can go down to a smart watch, a field watch, a diver, and the speedy. Im not picking specific models because that wont be for like 25 years and I have no idea what will be around or what I can afford lol.

Comment

I agree with the wanker test stated above. If I’m spending big money on a watch, I care about resale value. Can I sell it in a pinch and get amount of money back? As much as I love my Tag Heuer Monaco, I’d never spend thousands on another. Purchasing a Submariner didn’t seem like a terrible use of money since I know I can always get my money back if I needed it. There’s something comforting knowing that something you own was a good value and has resale value.

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
                      I agree with the wanker test stated above. If I’m spending big money on a watch, I care about resale value. Can I sell it in a pinch and get amount of money back? As much as I love my Tag Heuer Monaco, I’d never spend thousands on another. Purchasing a Submariner didn’t seem like a terrible use of money since I know I can always get my money back if I needed it. There’s something comforting knowing that something you own was a good value and has resale value.
                      ha yes, resale is a factor for me too, once I get up over $400 or so. Didnt think to mention that one

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                        a few of those matter to me but not enough to make it a decision point. I actually prefer no date, but am fine if it has one. I like a watch with a metal bracelet because its easy to find leather straps for a watch but near impossible to find a good bracelet for one that came on leather. and if a watch comes with both options, its always cheaper to buy it with the metal than to buy the leather variant and add the metal later. By a lot usually.

on the do it all front...I am getting there. I have about 15 watches. I wear my garmin a lot. When I swap out of it, I almost always go for my Hamilton Khaki field. Like, I am to the point I would consider selling everything and going to a 3 watch rotation. Maybe 4. The omega speemaster is my retirement watch. When I get there, I think I can go down to a smart watch, a field watch, a diver, and the speedy. Im not picking specific models because that wont be for like 25 years and I have no idea what will be around or what I can afford lol.
                        I think it's because my Dad always had 1 watch. A Rolex that he wore all the time. It was his everything watch. I could see myself buying an Apple Watch one day if the health features further improve for weekend wear. my wife loves hers. I have her old one that I sometimes wear.

My next and hopefully last watch will be a Rolex.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                          I think it's because my Dad always had 1 watch. A Rolex that he wore all the time. It was his everything watch. I could see myself buying an Apple Watch one day if the health features further improve for weekend wear. my wife loves hers. I have her old one that I sometimes wear.

My next and hopefully last watch will be a Rolex.
                          I wear my garmin instinct all day because I work form home and often step away from my desk without my cell. This helps me make sure I make it back for a meeting or call. Its also great for hiking and camping. if I go out of the house for anything else, I usually change my watch to one of my regular ones. I go in sprints but usually its the hamilton right now and in the summer, the Orient Mako.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post

Sub dials on a chrono absolutely cant encroach on the numbers. This is a dumb one I know but i hate when the numbers are chopped off. I prefer just no number there. Its a hard pass if this is on the dial.
                            Amen to that. I just couldn't look at that on my wrist. It would drive me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
                              Amen to that. I just couldn't look at that on my wrist. It would drive me nuts.
                              to me it lookslike they designed a dial and then said "oh wait, lets make this a chronograph. Cut some holes" as opposed to designing the dial with the chronograph in mind

Comment

Working...
                              X