X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnston Murphy Hempstead

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...83#tabProdInfo

I have them in black and love them. The contrasting laces really make the shoe pop. They don't really do anything for me in the tan.

Comment

$200...and

"The Hempstead Wingtip is not refurbishable."

also not sure where it's made.

Seems rather expensive for a 1 use shoe. Almost would rather look at Alden, Magnanni, Cheaney and pay the extra for something that you can rebuild.

Comment

There's that, though I don't know how much money I'd throw into recrafting (aka sole replacement) on ANY shoe. Considering the fact that soles are not the only thing that wear on your average shoe, I've come to question whether or not the service worth the price. Just because a company offers it, doesn't mean it's a smart investment. I'd rather spend $200 on a new pair of shoes than $150 to have new soles sewn on a pair of old shoes. You can call them "like new" all you want, I still don't consider that to be the case post-recraft. Additionally, let's say that the shoe lasts you 20 years before requiring recrafting -- which is assuming a LOT. Who's to say Allen Edmonds, or Johnston & Murphy will still be around in 20 years time? Suggesting a sure thing in today's economy is just plain irresponsible.

Comment

They are made in Italy

Comment

Where did you find that info Rags, I was considering trying J&M shoes if they aren't made in china.

Comment

I can check how my Hempsteads are stamped when I get home from work if you'd like.

Comment

Please and thanks.

Comment

J&M says made in Italy in the caption: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eNIWY82-cmk

But the guy also has his vent sewn shut, so I'm not sure of his credibility.

Comment

@NC - LOL...you got a chuckle out of me with the vent comment.

Comment

My big thing with J&M shoes is that most of them aren't Goodyear or Blake welted. Refurbishable or not, the durability is going to take a huge hit if the outsole is just glued to the uppers. I've got my eye on the suede McPhersons Joe mentioned on the Monday Handful, but I'm waiting to hear how they're constructed.

@nicholascrawford - well played.

Comment

My Hempstead's are indeed stamped "Made in Italy"

Comment

That jacket he had on in the close ups made me think he was over dressed for a Safari hunt(just needed the grey twirled moustache), it didn't look like it was wool.

Comment

I've found J&M shoes to be hit-or-miss in terms of quality and value. I love my suede Brennan wingtips (wearing them now) but I got a pair of their mid-range captoes (Meltons?) and the leather was like plastic.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X