Charles Tyrwhitt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Tyrwhitt?

I've never ordered/worn Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts. Was thinking about ordering some. Mostly to wear with suits or under sweater. Any thoughts? Anyone have a good or (yikes) a bad experience? Any advice much appreciated!

I'd say about 1/2 my dress shirts are CT brand. I'm partial to their twill, slim fit ones. They have a good weight to them without being too heavy/hot and they aren't so thin that they're see through. I really like being able to pick specific neck and sleeve measurements also. I have a slim build with slightly longer than average arms so that feature works well for me.

Just a heads up... their dress shirts DO NOT have a button on the sleeve placket like most shirts do. It doesn't bother me at all, but if you are someone who regularly rolls up your sleeves I could see this being an issue.

All that being said I would recommend them, but not at full retail price. If you decide to get some, do a few google searches for discount codes first. You can usually find a 3 for $99 deal with free shipping.

Comment

I have one and it’s... just ok. I paid approximately $30 for it and my Lands End and Nordstrom dress shirts, which cost about the same, are notably nicer.

I think the company uses significant marketing to hype features like brass collar stays. I found them to be lower quality than the metal stays I bought on Amazon.

CT certainly doesn’t make a bad shirt, and on sale they aren’t a bad price, but I’ve found I can do better elsewhere.

Comment

I used to own a bunch of their shirts but at some point the cut changed - I can still wear my old classic fit shirts but the new versions are too small. I've switched to Spier and Mackay OTR and will probably start MTOing shirts from them soon.

But, if you find a CT shirt fit that works for you they're decent shirts.

Comment

I agree with the value sentiments. For $30, they're fine but at full price, you can find much better.

Comment

99% of my work dress shirts are CT. I’ve got maybe 10-12? As others stated they are a great value pic especially with the ability to tailor the measurements.

What I don’t like is about 2 years ago they changed their fit and they seem a lot more boxy for the slim fit. I’ll continue to buy them though. Hard to beat for the money. And I don’t value investing in dress shirts.

Comment

I have a couple CT Shirts. Other shirts I own include Brooks Brothers (non-iron), Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Lands End, Paul Fredrick and some old straggler shirts which include Express etc. I found that the quality of the CT Shirts was satisfactory, maybe a tick below BB/BR/Nordstrom, but not appreciably so. And certainly better than my Paul Frederick and Express shirts which are relegated to under sweater duty. I love that CT Shirts have a dizzying array of options, and you can choose your sleeves and collars.

My only gripe with them, is the fit. And it's not that they have an inherently poor fit, it's just that with overseas shipping back and forth, it's tough to find the right fit for you. And as others have said, they keep tinkering with them, which makes it even more difficult (Brooks and BR do this too and it drives me nuts).

I'm 5'10", 185 and a CT Slim fit is noticeably loose at the waist. I guess I should have went with the extra slim, but I don't consider myself to be extra thin by any stretch. At the end of the day, I think if you can find your correct fit there, you'd be very happy with the quality for the price. And as others have said, you do not pay full price for anything at CT.

One last note, I also have a suit from there...I don't think the suit quality is anything near my Spier and Mackay. Definitely interested in trying the Spier and Mackay shirts.....Batman, are they fairly wrinkle resistant? That was my only hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                I have a couple CT Shirts. Other shirts I own include Brooks Brothers (non-iron), Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Lands End, Paul Fredrick and some old straggler shirts which include Express etc. I found that the quality of the CT Shirts was satisfactory, maybe a tick below BB/BR/Nordstrom, but not appreciably so. And certainly better than my Paul Frederick and Express shirts which are relegated to under sweater duty. I love that CT Shirts have a dizzying array of options, and you can choose your sleeves and collars.

My only gripe with them, is the fit. And it's not that they have an inherently poor fit, it's just that with overseas shipping back and forth, it's tough to find the right fit for you. And as others have said, they keep tinkering with them, which makes it even more difficult (Brooks and BR do this too and it drives me nuts).

I'm 5'10", 185 and a CT Slim fit is noticeably loose at the waist. I guess I should have went with the extra slim, but I don't consider myself to be extra thin by any stretch. At the end of the day, I think if you can find your correct fit there, you'd be very happy with the quality for the price. And as others have said, you do not pay full price for anything at CT.

One last note, I also have a suit from there...I don't think the suit quality is anything near my Spier and Mackay. Definitely interested in trying the Spier and Mackay shirts.....Batman, are they fairly wrinkle resistant? That was my only hesitation.
                I know the pain at 5'11 175 about the fit at the waist. I tried the extra slim and it didn't work for me at all. Not even close. I wanted to try the S&M shirts but heard issues with shrinking and the lack of non-iron has kept me away for now. I'd say the CT fit is around 80% off the rack and I can live with that for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemsprong View Post
                  I've never ordered/worn Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts. Was thinking about ordering some. Mostly to wear with suits or under sweater. Any thoughts? Anyone have a good or (yikes) a bad experience? Any advice much appreciated!
                  I have a few. I like them fine. They seem a tad bit short for me at 6'2", but they are fine.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Interesting to hear this mixed bag of reviews! I'm about 5'9" 220lbs with a 17.5" neck, about 19.5" shoulders, 44" chest, and a 36" waist, and the extra slim fit in 17.5/35 has been a godsend: generous enough in the arms, chest, and shoulders, a high armhole, and not baggy in the waist. Their fabric selection is huge, and I'm quite partial to the twill-weave, which is nice and airy without looking too flimsy. Their poplin fabrics are very thin and I like wearing them without a jacket in the summers, but they wrinkle like crazy so there's that. The non-irons though, for someone who travels about 50% of the time, they are just tops. They still wrinkle, but most of it falls out after overnight hanging. If you insist, one pass-through with a cheapo hotel iron and they're razor sharp. I've lost count of how many times I've washed them, and the wrinkle resistance has not changed; IIRC according to CT it has more to do with the threads they use and not any sort of chemical treatment, which might explain the longevity. They don't feel stuffy or scratchy the way other non-iron shirts might.

Now, some nitpicks: for solids and small patterns this isn't noticeable, but for large stripes the pattern matching isn't always spot-on. Nothing egregious mind you, but things can be a bit cockeyed around the center yoke seam, and the shoulders. No one will notice probably. I've also had some buttons fall off prematurely when the threads came undone, but that's an easy fix. Finally, I noticed some slight inconsistencies with the exact collar size: most of them feel okay, a few of them are off by about 0.25". Quarter inch too big isn't a big deal, but too small and you feel it. Might be a combo of shrinkage of some fabrics over time, or maybe that's just the tolerances they accept in their cutting.

Edit nitpick: the included collar stays are metal (brass?) but they will stain your collar at the hinge where the collar folds over, and for lighter fabrics will eventually show through. I'm kinda mixed on metal stays in general, since they can make a collar too straight and uncomfortable, but if you must, switch these out and go with generic stainless steel ones on Amazon; they're basically free.

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a fan, to the point where I have about 20 CT shirts. I've never paid more than about $40 for them, and more often than not it was more like $29.99 + free S&H. That never did seem sustainable to me, and it's no surprise that they don't do it anymore, but even at their 4/$200 deal, it's a good deal if the fit works for you. Never pay those fake MSRPs though.
                    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; January 30, 2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                      They are pretty resistant, but I mainly buy the twill shirts because I (and others) have had sleeve shrinkage with the regular dress shirts. I cold wash and hang dry all my shirts but that didn't seem to help. They did start offering some wrinkle resistant shirts since I last ordered but I haven't tried those yet to see how they compare. With MTO starting up I would probably add a quarter inch to my sleeves to account for that first wash on non-twill shirts. You may be able to request the fabric be washed before cutting as an alternative to longer sleeves but I haven't seen that as a definite solution.

Comment

I think they're nice, and I like the different weaves offered. However, I don't like the two button cuffs, or the long shipping time; so I don't buy from there anymore.

Comment

I have a bunch of their shirts, more than any other brand. I wear them every day to work, and they have lasted through repeated washings. They are a good value

Comment

Buy them on sale, and accept that after a few years you'll need to replace them.

I'm very slowly starting to add MTM/handmade shirting (hemrajani bros) into my closet, as certain shirts need replaced. Yes they're more expensive but will also last easily twice as long if not longer.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
                            X