Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bassoonguy
    replied
    Guilty as charged on the music teacher front. I'll look into the Citizen options. Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    I feel like this is similar to your Timex:

https://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-ca0621-05l.html

I agree with [MENTION=4392]mark4[/MENTION]. Citizen eco drive watches are a great value and will last a very long time. I owned 2 different versions before I got bitten by the high end watch game.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
    If you are looking for quartz I think citizen gives very good value. The have a nice-looking 42 mm field watch with a blue face
    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Chand.../dp/B07SKKR5CX

The also have a 39 mm blue-faced chronograph
    https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...T0200-21L.html

These are well below your stated budget however.
    I have a Citizen field watch - black dial with I think 38 or 39 mm case size. It's over a decade old and still keeps impeccable time. That eco-drive technology works great. Literally zero maintenance in more than 10 years - no battery replacement, no refurbishing, not work on the movement (not even sure quartz movements can be worked on but it hasn't needed it). It's the canvass strap one that has time, date, and day of week that goes for roughly $90-$140 (the price jumps around a bit) on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B000EQS1JW. The strap it comes with is junk but swapping it out for a NATO strap is easy and it's just fantastic IMO. I think it may go another decade but if not I've more than got my money's worth out of it already and replacing it would be cheap and easy.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Most watch warranties would expire before you would need to change the battery. Outside of higher end brands like Rolex/Omega, most watches will only be warranted for 1-3 years. And keep in mind you get a shop warranty, not the factory warranty, when you buy on the grey market.

But if you have a watch serviced by the manufacturer they might warrant it for an extra year after the service or something.
    completely accurate and a good point.

Leave a comment:

• Hebrew Barrister
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Casio lists its watch dimensions WITH crown so those watches are actually both smaller than their specs indicate. The T200 is 40mm and the T100 is a hair smaller, like 38 or 39.

Both are beautifully finished watches that pack immense bang for the buck, incidentally.
    Ok that's good news. I can support those then. I would classify those as interesting quartz.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I wasn't necessarily looking for the debate but since it came up I figured i'd share my thought process. I had no idea that changing the battery would void the warranty. That's why I come to this forum That does change things. Although, if I'm looking on the grey market that may be less of a concern. And thank you for the input on the winding issue. Another thought I didn't really consider. How much would you say servicing an automatic would cost?
    Most watch warranties would expire before you would need to change the battery. Outside of higher end brands like Rolex/Omega, most watches will only be warranted for 1-3 years. And keep in mind you get a shop warranty, not the factory warranty, when you buy on the grey market.

But if you have a watch serviced by the manufacturer they might warrant it for an extra year after the service or something.

The price of servicing an automatic watch movement can vary greatly but in general expect to pay no less than $100 at a bare minimum, and also expect it will take weeks or longer. My local watchmaker no longer lists his prices online but last I checked he charged $200-300 to do a full service on common entry-level Swiss and Japanese movements.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Except it's 41.5mm :/
    Casio lists its watch dimensions WITH crown so those watches are actually both smaller than their specs indicate. The T200 is 40mm and the T100 is a hair smaller, like 38 or 39.

Both are beautifully finished watches that pack immense bang for the buck, incidentally.

Leave a comment:

• tayloreuph
    replied
    Watch guy here. Music teacher too. I’m assuming the bassoon part of OP’s handle might be an indicator, so speaking from an educators perspective, a dead beat second complication is important. What am I talking about? Dead beat second is your typical quartz ‘tick’. One second, one motion of the second hand. Now you’ve got a metronome.
    I’ve got multiple variations of watches, some auto, some dead beat, some quartz. Most of my quartz are tuning fork movement or 262hZ, so those second hands don’t tick per se. a chronograph complication can take care of that for you, but the cost gets more expensive at that point.
    MotionQuartz, or a hybrid movement, where energy is stored in a capacitor for use when the automatic movement is stalled is an option, but those aren’t cheap either. Seiko makes a good one, so does Miyota, which is from Citizen and is available in many other brands.
    Automatics aren’t bad, they just require more attention. A watch wonder can take care of that. Power reserve is your friend in this situation. How long will a watch run after it’s been fully wound. 40 hours is typical, but that generally doesn’t get you through a weekend without having to set the date.
    But to answer your question, a cheaper multiple use watch, with options. Field watch comes to mind. There are a few good ones on the market right now. That’s without getting into the vintage question. Hamilton is currently top of the heap, Bulova just released one, Bertucci has a couple, and then there are Seiko options. Look for different straps, and decide if you like a white or black face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hebrew Barrister
    replied
    Originally posted by embrassurespace View Post
    If you decide you want to stick with quartz, definitely consider the Casio Oceanus S100 or T200

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-OCEANUS.../dp/B0073B4KVO
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-OCW-T20...s%2C218&sr=8-1

Check out youtube for plenty of videos. Excelent watch. Even the peeps over on reddit/watches like it despite it not being an auto
    Except it's 41.5mm :/

Leave a comment:

• embrassurespace
    replied
    If you decide you want to stick with quartz, definitely consider the Casio Oceanus S100 or T200

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-OCEANUS.../dp/B0073B4KVO
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-OCW-T20...s%2C218&sr=8-1

Check out youtube for plenty of videos. Excelent watch. Even the peeps over on reddit/watches like it despite it not being an auto

Leave a comment:

• whereismurder
    replied
    Both are legit options, very different feels. I lean towards the Alpina because I like the look more.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I wasn't necessarily looking for the debate but since it came up I figured i'd share my thought process. I had no idea that changing the battery would void the warranty. That's why I come to this forum That does change things. Although, if I'm looking on the grey market that may be less of a concern. And thank you for the input on the winding issue. Another thought I didn't really consider. How much would you say servicing an automatic would cost?
    check the warranty. some specify "official service locations only" or some such stuff. Just something to keep in mind.

You shouldnt AVOID autos or quartz. I have had more watches in my life than I can remember so I am biased but I fully endorse trying everything once lol.

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    oh. I should have read this before my last post. you WANT the quartz vs auto debate lol. Let me lead this by saying there is no wrong answer because each have their own merits so it depends on what you put YOUR value in. I am a big watch guy and I have both and love watches from both platforms.

If we consider the technical purpose of a watch...to keep time...the quartz is far superior. For a lot less money they are a lot more accurate, require way less maintenance, and last forever. Thats why the watch world was SHOOK when it was introduced.

Owning an auto is like driving a classic car, or a sports car, or wearing longwings to the grocery store. Do we need to? Nope. We accept the possible quirks for other reasons. For some people, the winding and the setting of the watch is part of the "fun". Its a connection to the days of the past, a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship of a tiny moving machine on your wrist. Some people cant stand the ticking sounds or the stop/start of the second hand that comes with quartz. Of course, those are overcome with a high end quartz, but that admittedly limits your choices. Worrying about winding causing wear is not relevant. if you wear it everyday, it is constantly winding. Thats the auto part of the thing. Automatic winding.

Micro brands arent for the faint of heart. Some people call Steinhart and christopher ward micros but I dont consider them such anymore. Those have been around a while and I would trust them. OK, wait, lets rewind...I am a big micro fan and have had plenty. I trust more than most. I am speaking towards a newbie. I wouldnt make my first auto a micro. But I have had Borealis, Aevig, Helgrey, Deaumar, Armida, Lew & Huey...Some more that I cant think of right now lol. All have been good except the Deaumar. The design was fantastic but the factory used different materials on the crown and crown tube and htey were prone to striping. Then the company went out of business. So despite whatever warranty, if it stripped you were stuck unless you had watch skills. Thats everyones worst fear with a micro and it does happen, but only if you are jumping on a kickstarter or early production run. Stick with one that has been established and you would be fine. Aevig, Armida, Lew & Huey (now NTH), and Borealis hake some of my favorite watches and htey are a fantastic value and I would not hesitate to recommend.

You are also right about the whole seiko 5 thing. Im not going to say they wont last. People talk about the seiko 5s or divers that they have had since the 70s. Thats cool but they arent built like that anymore and a lot of them have had plenty of service or entire movements replaced. A Seiko 5 is a 3-5 year watch to me. I wouldnt waste the money servicing that movement, personally. ride it till it dies, then move on unless there is an emotional attachment. With that said, I ahve a modded invicta that cost $50 and has the seiko nh35 movement and I cant even remember how long I have had it and it still works fine. Barely gets worn though, to be totally honest. Which is why I cant remember how long I have had it. But at least 5 years.

So in summary...there is no answer. If you are a watch guy or budding watch guy, I think everyone should try an auto and a better quartz like the accutron or one of those swiss. Make your own decision.

EDIT - regarding the cost of maintenance...if you get a hamilton then you have to use a hamilton certified jeweler to change the battery if you want to keep warranty. Do that a couple of times and its the cost of a basic service. The quartz might still be cheaper over the life but its not always as clear cut as "quatz is cheaper. Plus I scored a khaki field auto 38mm for LESS than that quartz you posted. Check Nordstrom Rack. They get great hammy, Victorinox, and tissot deals floating through.

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    yep, I do actually. I work from home and I have made an effort to build a crossover wardrobe of technical gear that doesnt look technical. I have a few posts on it here actually. Still struggling with the footwear but the rest, I am good with.

This totally isnt an argument on my front and I am not devaluing your view. Just pointing out there are more than just yours that have legitimate merit so its' hard to just say yours is the best for everyone. Same for mine. This is always a fun exercise to me because we often think everyone is like us. I know I have learned a lot from these conversations.
    And it's why I am honestly asking for opinions. I want to make sure I'm not just looking at my own narrow viewpoint before spending that much on a watch. If there is an argument for me to look at an automatic, I'll listen to it. No doubt, an automatic would open things up for me a bit as there are more options in that price range but I worry about the convenience and durability. And for most of the watches I'm looking at, the price goes up a little beyond my comfort level. But the g-shock or another Timex is not what I'm after. I teach children and have a 5-year old myself. I want to look nice while teaching and doing "Dad things".

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Do you do those outdoor activities in the same clothing you wear to work or to wine and cheese night? Because if the answer is no, well, I assume you can see what I might say.

Anyway, no need to get into a big watch nerd argument in here.
    yep, I do actually. I work from home and I have made an effort to build a crossover wardrobe of technical gear that doesnt look technical. I have a few posts on it here actually. Still struggling with the footwear but the rest, I am good with.

This totally isnt an argument on my front and I am not devaluing your view. Just pointing out there are more than just yours that have legitimate merit so its' hard to just say yours is the best for everyone. Same for mine. This is always a fun exercise to me because we often think everyone is like us. I know I have learned a lot from these conversations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X