Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casual watch options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Casual watch options

    I tried posting this over on the watchuseek forum but I can't include links there so I'm hoping everyone here can help out. I'm looking to upgrade my timex weekender that crapped out on me. I've done some research but having a hard time making a decision. I am looking for some guidance.
    Here is the watch I'm trying to replace: https://www.timex.com/timex-standard...2T68900VQ.html

    I am looking for a quartz with a blue faced dial. I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field watch: https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/hamil...ld-quartz.html

    I also found this Alpina startimer which I really like: https://us.alpinawatches.com/collect...cts/al-240n4s6

    I am looking to spend about $300 - 400 and have found the Alpina much cheaper on grey market sites than the Hamilton. I am concerned that the Alpina is a big watch. I know my timex is a 41 and the Alpina is only a 42 but it looks much bigger. I am also concerned the orange numerals make it almost too casual, although I like to look of the watch. What are your thoughts on these watches? Any alternatives I should look at?
    Thanks in advance.

    #2
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Edifice.../dp/B07B98FVQ9

    I have a black dial model and I love it. I wear it most days. The bracelet is junk so you'll want to swap in a NATO or nice leather strap.

    Comment


      #3
      If you are looking for quartz I think citizen gives very good value. The have a nice-looking 42 mm field watch with a blue face
      https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Chand.../dp/B07SKKR5CX

      The also have a 39 mm blue-faced chronograph
      https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...T0200-21L.html

      These are well below your stated budget however.

      Comment


        #4
        the alpina has a bigger dial and smaller case so it looks bigger...but physically n your wrist it should be similar. When you are comparing sizes there are multiple factors to look at. I find that lug to lug is more important than any other measurement for me because it helps me judge if the watch is going to hang over my wrist and make that weird "strap gap". Also camera angles and zoom can greatly impact how big a watch looks in pics. try to get as many measurements as possible and pay attention to proportions like the thickness of a bezel etc.

        Hamilton field is classic and hard to go wrong with.

        I still want that Edifice. it looks like a great sport watch value.

        Citizen is a great value if you want quartz. The ecodrive is great compromise of features between quartz and auto. That last citizen military is a great watch. The strap is super stiff so maybe budget for a Barton canvas strap to swap to. Those are very affordable though.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          I still want that Edifice. it looks like a great sport watch value.
          I have one of the white ones that I may be willing to part with if you want to shoot me a PM.



          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


            #6
            Eew quartz :/

            There are so many cool auto microbrands you could get for $300-400. Or, hell, get a khaki field mechanical or khaki field auto grey market at that price.

            Want to spend < $100? Ok, quartz is fine, I'd suggest Timex as they have a ton of cool designs for under $100. $400? For quartz if it isn't a higher end gshock or some fancy hi-freq movement? No thx.

            Comment


              #7
              Take a look at the Timex Marlin variations. There are a few really nice options, not too dear, and would work well in almost any circumstance.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #8
                Based on photos alone, I like the look of the Alpina. Are you set on a quartz watch? I believe the Seiko 5 might fit your needs and is an automatic.

                https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-SNK807-A.../dp/B006CHML4I

                Comment


                  #9
                  I’ve been going back and forth about buying my first automatic or staying with quartz. Here’s my reasoning. Convince me otherwise: this is not going to be my “everyday” watch. I might wear it 2-3 times a week. I figure this means I will need to be winding it a bit more than usual then and I’m afraid it will wear out the parts faster. I like the idea of slapping it on my wrist and walking out the door without the hassle of winding and setting it every time I put it on. Also not sure I want to incur maintenance costs with an automatic. My timex crapped out after about 5 years of wear so I’m not interested in buying something of that quality again. I want something that I know will last. Hence, the high price tag for the quartz. I’ve looked at the seiko 5, but I’m afraid for the price, I’ll be purchasing another watch or repairing it in short order. I don’t want a micro brand for fear of longevity concerns. I’ve never owned an automatic, so people with more experience can let me know if my thinking is wrong.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                    Eew quartz :/

                    There are so many cool auto microbrands you could get for $300-400. Or, hell, get a khaki field mechanical or khaki field auto grey market at that price.

                    Want to spend < $100? Ok, quartz is fine, I'd suggest Timex as they have a ton of cool designs for under $100. $400? For quartz if it isn't a higher end gshock or some fancy hi-freq movement? No thx.
                    thats totally a preference. Lets not bring the ancient and unsolvable quartz vs auto debate into this one. There are merits to both depending on your priorities. Personally, the movement is like #7 on my list. To some it is 1 or 2. Actually, that might be an interesting thread. I bet a lot of watch newbies would be SHOCKED at the things us watch dorks think about when buying a watch lol. I have some higher end quartz and there is merit, especially in the chrono genre. an auto chrono is expensive and a fat cow on the wrist. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to own a nice one. I love my Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer chrono. Same with the citizen eco-drives. nd that hamiton he posted? If I were in the lifestyle of beating the crap out of a $400 watch, I would wear a quartz khaki when I camped and hiked. I love that watch but am always nervous about impact and what it does to an auto movement. I ahve also had more than one entry level vostok, miyota, and seiko auto movement take a dump and need replacemnt or repair. Maybe that means I abuse my watches. But thats my point...we all lead different lives so sometiems there is merit to something you dont value.

                    I disregard quartz or auto, the timex watches under $100 are cool and fun but really, they are borderline crap watches. I have had more than one weekend drop its crown like it was nothing. The tick is insane. The case is a coated light brass and almost all shiny. the dials are cheap printed things with no texture or life to them. Its ironic you said $100 because thats about where they get interesting. My 3gmt is a solid damn watch and the tick is barely audible. There are cutouts on the hours, there is more than 2 colors on the watch, and the case feels SOLID, not flimsy. That lets them get the WR past the "safe in the shower" 30m. The waterbury lines all have a better feel in hand too, and introduce some visual appeal to the dial. I bought a Navi Harbor for my daughter and its is fantastically proportioned with some little details that make it a worthwhile watch.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post
                      I’ve been going back and forth about buying my first automatic or staying with quartz. Here’s my reasoning. Convince me otherwise: this is not going to be my “everyday” watch. I might wear it 2-3 times a week. I figure this means I will need to be winding it a bit more than usual then and I’m afraid it will wear out the parts faster. I like the idea of slapping it on my wrist and walking out the door without the hassle of winding and setting it every time I put it on. Also not sure I want to incur maintenance costs with an automatic. My timex crapped out after about 5 years of wear so I’m not interested in buying something of that quality again. I want something that I know will last. Hence, the high price tag for the quartz. I’ve looked at the seiko 5, but I’m afraid for the price, I’ll be purchasing another watch or repairing it in short order. I don’t want a micro brand for fear of longevity concerns. I’ve never owned an automatic, so people with more experience can let me know if my thinking is wrong.
                      oh. I should have read this before my last post. you WANT the quartz vs auto debate lol. Let me lead this by saying there is no wrong answer because each have their own merits so it depends on what you put YOUR value in. I am a big watch guy and I have both and love watches from both platforms.

                      If we consider the technical purpose of a watch...to keep time...the quartz is far superior. For a lot less money they are a lot more accurate, require way less maintenance, and last forever. Thats why the watch world was SHOOK when it was introduced.

                      Owning an auto is like driving a classic car, or a sports car, or wearing longwings to the grocery store. Do we need to? Nope. We accept the possible quirks for other reasons. For some people, the winding and the setting of the watch is part of the "fun". Its a connection to the days of the past, a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship of a tiny moving machine on your wrist. Some people cant stand the ticking sounds or the stop/start of the second hand that comes with quartz. Of course, those are overcome with a high end quartz, but that admittedly limits your choices. Worrying about winding causing wear is not relevant. if you wear it everyday, it is constantly winding. Thats the auto part of the thing. Automatic winding.

                      Micro brands arent for the faint of heart. Some people call Steinhart and christopher ward micros but I dont consider them such anymore. Those have been around a while and I would trust them. OK, wait, lets rewind...I am a big micro fan and have had plenty. I trust more than most. I am speaking towards a newbie. I wouldnt make my first auto a micro. But I have had Borealis, Aevig, Helgrey, Deaumar, Armida, Lew & Huey...Some more that I cant think of right now lol. All have been good except the Deaumar. The design was fantastic but the factory used different materials on the crown and crown tube and htey were prone to striping. Then the company went out of business. So despite whatever warranty, if it stripped you were stuck unless you had watch skills. Thats everyones worst fear with a micro and it does happen, but only if you are jumping on a kickstarter or early production run. Stick with one that has been established and you would be fine. Aevig, Armida, Lew & Huey (now NTH), and Borealis hake some of my favorite watches and htey are a fantastic value and I would not hesitate to recommend.

                      You are also right about the whole seiko 5 thing. Im not going to say they wont last. People talk about the seiko 5s or divers that they have had since the 70s. Thats cool but they arent built like that anymore and a lot of them have had plenty of service or entire movements replaced. A Seiko 5 is a 3-5 year watch to me. I wouldnt waste the money servicing that movement, personally. ride it till it dies, then move on unless there is an emotional attachment. With that said, I ahve a modded invicta that cost $50 and has the seiko nh35 movement and I cant even remember how long I have had it and it still works fine. Barely gets worn though, to be totally honest. Which is why I cant remember how long I have had it. But at least 5 years.

                      So in summary...there is no answer. If you are a watch guy or budding watch guy, I think everyone should try an auto and a better quartz like the accutron or one of those swiss. Make your own decision.

                      EDIT - regarding the cost of maintenance...if you get a hamilton then you have to use a hamilton certified jeweler to change the battery if you want to keep warranty. Do that a couple of times and its the cost of a basic service. The quartz might still be cheaper over the life but its not always as clear cut as "quatz is cheaper. Plus I scored a khaki field auto 38mm for LESS than that quartz you posted. Check Nordstrom Rack. They get great hammy, Victorinox, and tissot deals floating through.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                        thats totally a preference. Lets not bring the ancient and unsolvable quartz vs auto debate into this one. There are merits to both depending on your priorities. Personally, the movement is like #7 on my list. To some it is 1 or 2. Actually, that might be an interesting thread. I bet a lot of watch newbies would be SHOCKED at the things us watch dorks think about when buying a watch lol. I have some higher end quartz and there is merit, especially in the chrono genre. an auto chrono is expensive and a fat cow on the wrist. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to own a nice one. I love my Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer chrono. Same with the citizen eco-drives. nd that hamiton he posted? If I were in the lifestyle of beating the crap out of a $400 watch, I would wear a quartz khaki when I camped and hiked. I love that watch but am always nervous about impact and what it does to an auto movement. I ahve also had more than one entry level vostok, miyota, and seiko auto movement take a dump and need replacemnt or repair. Maybe that means I abuse my watches. But thats my point...we all lead different lives so sometiems there is merit to something you dont value.

                        I disregard quartz or auto, the timex watches under $100 are cool and fun but really, they are borderline crap watches. I have had more than one weekend drop its crown like it was nothing. The tick is insane. The case is a coated light brass and almost all shiny. the dials are cheap printed things with no texture or life to them. Its ironic you said $100 because thats about where they get interesting. My 3gmt is a solid damn watch and the tick is barely audible. There are cutouts on the hours, there is more than 2 colors on the watch, and the case feels SOLID, not flimsy. That lets them get the WR past the "safe in the shower" 30m. The waterbury lines all have a better feel in hand too, and introduce some visual appeal to the dial. I bought a Navi Harbor for my daughter and its is fantastically proportioned with some little details that make it a worthwhile watch.
                        Who suggested beating up $400 watch? I sure didn't and don't. That's what a basic dw5600 g-shock is for.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                          Who suggested beating up $400 watch? I sure didn't and don't. That's what a basic dw5600 g-shock is for.
                          but not everyone like that kind of watch or wants to be restricted to that style. Its possible to want a nice looking watch and still live a lifestyle that puts you in situations that you might beat on it. We dont all work office jobs and do wine and cheese date nights. I work on my house, my cars...I hike, camp, and use power tools. I drive offroad and kayak. Sometimes I do multiple of these of these in one day...plus the wine and cheese date night lol. I wear my Garmin Instinct for a lot of that but more and more I am finding myself wanting a nice quartz field watch because I dont like wearing the rugged g shock style all the time. Sometimes I wear my EcoDrive Chandler chronograph to cover these things but it styling is a little polarizing still and I just love field watches for versatility. I could wear my khaki field everyday.

                          So for you, you have a combo that works for you. Not knocking it. Just showing were the higher end quartz has a market.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Do you do those outdoor activities in the same clothing you wear to work or to wine and cheese night? Because if the answer is no, well, I assume you can see what I might say.

                            Anyway, no need to get into a big watch nerd argument in here.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                              Do you do those outdoor activities in the same clothing you wear to work or to wine and cheese night? Because if the answer is no, well, I assume you can see what I might say.

                              Anyway, no need to get into a big watch nerd argument in here.
                              yep, I do actually. I work from home and I have made an effort to build a crossover wardrobe of technical gear that doesnt look technical. I have a few posts on it here actually. Still struggling with the footwear but the rest, I am good with.

                              This totally isnt an argument on my front and I am not devaluing your view. Just pointing out there are more than just yours that have legitimate merit so its' hard to just say yours is the best for everyone. Same for mine. This is always a fun exercise to me because we often think everyone is like us. I know I have learned a lot from these conversations.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X