A Sad Day For Allen Edmonds Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad Day For Allen Edmonds Fans

After seeing the post on the main site about the Sanders Long Wings, and the limited sizes for AE MacNeil, I went to the AE website and discovered the below (see screen shot).

Jeez--I'm sad about this. My Oxblood MacNeils are probably my first or second favorite AE shoes out of about ten I own.

I think that leaves Alden as the only one making classic long wing full brogues in the US.

Unless you all know of another company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

stock up!

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      stock up!
      They don't have any left in my size or I would get another pair in chili or walnut.

Comment

It's strange that they'd discontinue such an old model (although I guess that makes sense if no one is buying them). But honestly, the MacNeil the ugliest longwing out there, at least if we're talking about gunboats. I can't put my finger on it, but something about them just looks off. Especially when compared to Aldens, or Grant Stones, or Florsheims (thanks, Squalor to Baller)* or pretty much anything else.

Coincidentally, J. Crew appears to have reinstated the Ludlow longwings, which in my experience are better in every aspect except "sleekness." And if you want sleek, why are you buying longwings?

*If he knew his site was going to gain traction when he started it, do you think he would have chosen a better name?

Comment

this also might just be them replacing the MacNeil for the Macneil 2.0, which they said they'd do a while [5 years?] ago...

Otherwise, i would say they might stop stocking them all year, but i doubt it's the last of them. they might stop having the macneil the way they "don't have" the Kenwood anymore, in that they sell it once a year en mass, and constantly have it for other markets and b stock on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
            It's strange that they'd discontinue such an old model (although I guess that makes sense if no one is buying them). But honestly, the MacNeil the ugliest longwing out there, at least if we're talking about gunboats. I can't put my finger on it, but something about them just looks off. Especially when compared to Aldens, or Grant Stones, or Florsheims (thanks, Squalor to Baller)* or pretty much anything else.

Coincidentally, J. Crew appears to have reinstated the Ludlow longwings, which in my experience are better in every aspect except "sleekness." And if you want sleek, why are you buying longwings?

*If he knew his site was going to gain traction when he started it, do you think he would have chosen a better name?
            Well, of course aesthetics are a matter of personal preference. I prefer the MacNeil to my vintage Florsheim, but I like them both quite a big.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post

I’ve owned all 3 and the MacNeil is definitely the best looking of the 3. Grant Stone makes clown shoes.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried. They've discontinued the McNeil before but brought back as the McNeil 5 on the 65 last. Then they discontinued that model and brought it back a year later as the McGreggor. Then they discontinued that model and released the McNeil 2.0. That lasted about a year or so until they discontinued that model and brought back the original McNeil. This has all been in the last 10 years. So yeah...this probably isn't permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                  this also might just be them replacing the MacNeil for the Macneil 2.0, which they said they'd do a while [5 years?] ago...
                  They did release a McNeil 2.0 and a bunch of other 2.0 models around 5 years ago. I got a pair of brown pebble grain McNeil 2.0s from the shoe bank for under $100. They were awesome but also a half size small. Its a shame they were discontinued because I prefer the toe box more on the 2.0 styles. It would be great if they bring back the 2.0 styles.

Comment

The thing that I could never get over with the MacNeil is the way the leather used for the eyelets touches the broguing on the long wing as it goes to the back of the shoe. Just annoys the hell out of me. To each their own.
                    Also, Macgregor (a great shoe, btw) has a single leather sole whereas the MacNeil has a double sole.
                    As another poster said, I imagine the McNeil will be back in some form or another.

Comment

Plenty of other longwing gunboats out there for purchase. Those seem to be a common British "country" style.

Comment

Working...
                      X