Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

    As you may have noticed, AE has a great sale right now. And some of their upscale Independence Line shoes are on sale for less than $300. I've never liked my black oxford wingtips from Wolf and Sheppard, so this may be the time to replace them. (I'm one in, one out on shoes right now).

    But I'm wondering if the price bump for the Independence Line is work it. Anybody have them? What do you think?

    For example, I can get the Jefferson wingtip for $290 or the MacAllister for $225.

    Worth the extra $$$?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

    #2
    I have two pair of Independence Line shoes and a slew of their regular line. I definitely recommend the Independence Line. The leather is definitely a step up. The leather itself is more supple and the finish is just a notch above. I would say it’s worth the money.

    I love my Jefferson and there are a couple of pics in What Shoes I Wore Today thread of you want some real life pics.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
      I have two pair of Independence Line shoes and a slew of their regular line. I definitely recommend the Independence Line. The leather is definitely a step up. The leather itself is more supple and the finish is just a notch above. I would say it’s worth the money.

      I love my Jefferson and there are a couple of pics in What Shoes I Wore Today thread of you want some real life pics.
      Thanks! I just pulled the trigger on the Jefferson. I guess I will see if I like them.

      Maybe I will get another pair of something in this line.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

      Comment


        #4
        the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

        The JR soles the shoes come with are also a big upgrade. They even last longer.

        I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by evanparker View Post
          the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

          The JR soles the shoes come with are also a big upgrade. They even last longer.

          I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.
          The independence line uses JR soles? I had no idea...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

            The JR soles the shoes come with are also a big upgrade. They even last longer.

            I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.
            They don't say they have JR soles, which I agree would be a big upgrade. That said, the soles in the pictures are different from the soles in the pictures of the mainline shoe equivalent--so maybe they are JR soles. They do note the lambskin lining, which is another upgrade, I think.

            At any rate, for most the Independence collection right now with this sale, they are at lower prices than the mainline shoes, so if anybody needed a shoe right now, it's a great deal for under $300.

            It looks like they might be discontinuing the Independence collection--the selection is very limited even at full price and it's not listed as a collection on the main page of the site anymore. For example, the Hopkinson (Park Ave. style) is only available in Merlot and only sizes 9, 10, 12, and 14. It's only $250. And I wear a 12--so, I maybe will pick up those as well. I'm nuts. I don't need them.


            https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/c...ce-collection/
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

            Comment


              #7
              On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.

              Comment


                #8
                I am pretty confident that they ARE NOT JR soles. My Shell have JR soles and it had the logo on the bottom, while the Independence Line does not.

                I forgot to mention the lamb skin lining. Huge upgrade in comfort!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                  On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.
                  My last two AE purchases (Dalton's and Liverpool Chelsea's) have been seconds and I literally cannot find the defect. I highly recommend them, I've had great luck with them so far.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The 201 last is a good one.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                      On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.
                      Yes, got some seconds for me (Stirling boot) and another pair for my son (MSP Split-toe Blucher) in August. I was surprised at how good they were. The boot leather had a few crease marks, but it is Horween Dublin leather, and my understanding is that is normal for that leather. At any rate, once they are on, you can't see any creases that are worse than how other shoes crease. And the leather is very soft.

                      On the other MSP, nobody except me noticed the imperfection. The color was a bit off on one shoe near where the upper was sewed to the sole, near the back on the side. But like I said, nobody noticed but me. They look way better in person than on the website.

                      So, it's funny--I've had AE firsts that had more imperfections than these two pairs of seconds. I think they are letting the customer returns be their QC program.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                        I am pretty confident that they ARE NOT JR soles. My Shell have JR soles and it had the logo on the bottom, while the Independence Line does not.

                        I forgot to mention the lamb skin lining. Huge upgrade in comfort!
                        Yes, all the JR soles I've seen have big JR's stamped on the bottom.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                          Yes, got some seconds for me (Stirling boot) and another pair for my son (MSP Split-toe Blucher) in August. I was surprised at how good they were. The boot leather had a few crease marks, but it is Horween Dublin leather, and my understanding is that is normal for that leather. At any rate, once they are on, you can't see any creases that are worse than how other shoes crease. And the leather is very soft.

                          On the other MSP, nobody except me noticed the imperfection. The color was a bit off on one shoe near where the upper was sewed to the sole, near the back on the side. But like I said, nobody noticed but me. They look way better in person than on the website.

                          So, it's funny--I've had AE firsts that had more imperfections than these two pairs of seconds. I think they are letting the customer returns be their QC program.
                          That's my concern--I've had bad luck with firsts. Maybe I need to try seconds

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                            The 201 last is a good one.
                            That's what I'm noticing. It seems a smidge sleeker than the 65. Has a slight chisel and a little less bulbous.

                            Also one of the comments about the Jefferson stands out. He says that for him the 201 lets the laces come together whereas the 65 has laces spread apart. I've noticed tons of shoe selfies on the various style forums with 65 last AEs straining into an open V shape. If the 201 solves this problem, that is a good feature.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                              The 201 last is a good one.
                              Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
                              That's what I'm noticing. It seems a smidge sleeker than the 65. Has a slight chisel and a little less bulbous.

                              Also one of the comments about the Jefferson stands out. He says that for him the 201 lets the laces come together whereas the 65 has laces spread apart. I've noticed tons of shoe selfies on the various style forums with 65 last AEs straining into an open V shape. If the 201 solves this problem, that is a good feature.
                              Well, interesting--I thought it was the same last as the MacAllister, but it's not. I hope that's not a problem. The 12.5 MacAllister is a pretty decent fit for me. They don't make 12.5 for Jefferson, so I ordered 12, which for most shoes is good for me. But some of the AE shoes have been tight in a 12D.

                              I guess I will see.

                              Oh--just discovered that Stirling is also 201 last--that fits great in a 12D. I guess I got lucky.
                              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X