Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnR
    replied
    True and good point. In fact, I used to travel in stretch jeans for a year or so and it was alright. While I probably moved away from them primarily for look/style reasons, I really do prefer the lighter weight and stretchy fabrics from Lulu, Rhone, etc... The stretch jeans were certainly ok but I still feel more constricted in them than I do in my current travel pants.

Leave a comment:

• Hebrew Barrister
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    If there's anything I can predict about traveling it's that I won't be able to predict the temperature in the plane. It might be hot and humid on the tarmac and ice cold in the air. Sometimes, it's the inverse of that. Or, sometimes it's hot the entire time, sometimes not. It is annoying. So I wear lightweight layers to accommodate and, as mentioned earlier, they're all quite elastic. But they always look fairly dressed up. Perhaps it's Rhone Commuter pants with a Lululemon button down and a lightweight vest or something along those lines. I can't do jeans on an airplane - I feel horribly constricted.

Anyway... I've hijacked this thread enough with my grumpy traveler gripes.
    Jeans constricting? I mean, maybe selvedge that hasn't been broken in. But any well worn pair of jeans? Or any pair of halfway decent stretch jeans, even if brand new? I cannot say I agree.

I suggest trying some decent stretch jeans if you have not. They're game changing. A pair of BR stretch jeans in the proper size and fit for you borders on pajama level of comfort, while looking to the outside world like a normal, well fitting, pair of jeans.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    I enjoy a fine tailored outfit as much as I admire a well-executed athleisure look. Athleisure doesn't equal sloppy just as putting on a suit doesn't automatically make one look like a boss. Just do as one pleases, no point in taking anonymous opinions on the internet THAT seriously.
    Yes, this and what Lesser Black Dog said. Athleisure is not appropriate for every situation, obviously. For a casual Saturday dog walk/coffee run/etc., or if you went to the gym, or to play a pick up or rec league game of some sportsball sport, or whatever, you might as well make an effort to look as good in clothes that are functional for that activity as possible. Especially if you have to wear those clothes to lunch, brunch, the pub etc. because going home before doing said next planned activity isn't really an option. If I'm going out to lunch or the pub with the folks I play sportsball with right after the game (it happens - that's half the point of the activity) I'm not going 20 minutes home and 20 minutes back to change. Might as well look as put together as possible in the confines of the athleisure look.

Leave a comment:

• whereismurder
    replied
    Like it or not, athleisure is here. Post was super on brand for showing people how to elevate a look with good looking inexpensive clothes. And in light of the recent climate I have started wearing joggers to brunch on Sunday and other places. I appreciated the post.

Leave a comment:

• neminat
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Let's not confuse casual with sloppy. T-shirts are extremely casual, but there are t-shirts that look good and there are t-shirts that look sloppy. Swim trunks are extremely casual, but there are swim trunks that look good and there are swim trunks that look sloppy. Similarly, just because an item of clothing is formal doesn't mean it can't be sloppy. There are plenty of dudes out there who look hella sloppy in a suit that's a gross color, two sizes too big, not appropriately furnished, etc.

Now, I tend to agree that athleisure belongs at the gym in general. But there are also scenarios where the right athleisure could be appropriate outside the gym... walking your dog, early morning coffee run, hitting the grocery store on the way back home from the gym, whatever. And certainly, there is a spectrum of "this looks nice" and "this looks sloppy" within the realm of athleisure. So if you're going to wear athleisure in public, you might as well wear it the "this looks nice" way and not the "this looks sloppy" way.
    couldnt have possibly said this better. Exactly how i feel.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    To be fair the airlines have made airline travel such a hassle into increasing smaller spaces I don’t blame people.

I’m usually in jeans and a t shirt due to planes being so hot and cramped.
    If there's anything I can predict about traveling it's that I won't be able to predict the temperature in the plane. It might be hot and humid on the tarmac and ice cold in the air. Sometimes, it's the inverse of that. Or, sometimes it's hot the entire time, sometimes not. It is annoying. So I wear lightweight layers to accommodate and, as mentioned earlier, they're all quite elastic. But they always look fairly dressed up. Perhaps it's Rhone Commuter pants with a Lululemon button down and a lightweight vest or something along those lines. I can't do jeans on an airplane - I feel horribly constricted.

Anyway... I've hijacked this thread enough with my grumpy traveler gripes.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
    Why do you think athleisure is a mismatch at the airport? I would argue the exact opposite. Athleisure is about combining comfort & style in clothing, which is exactly what you want when you are traveling.
    I guess because there's nothing active about being at the airport or in a plane. I get the allure of athleisure when you're out and about town on the weekend. There's a very active component to that and athleisure wear seems to fit that well. Airports and airplanes, on the other hand, are not that at all. You're 90% sitting and when you're not sitting, you're standing quite still. And, unless you're hurdling luggage for a commercial, there's virtually no chance that you'll be required to be active at all. Athleisure wear is a very strange choice to me (again, many people do wear it better than the disheveled looks I've watched emerge over the past decade) and I don't get it.

I travel quite comfortably. There was a thread some time ago discussing what we all wear when we travel and there were good suggestions for how to remain comfortable, yet presentable and stylish. Most of my travel attire has a lot of elasticity and breathability. I might even say that I could be more comfortable than the person in athleisure wear.

Leave a comment:

• xucardsfan08
    replied
    What is up with such careless and sloppy attire for travel?! While I think athleisure is a bit of a mismatch in the airport, I travel quite a bit and agree that there is WAY worse going on out there. Sometimes I'm just dumbfounded by what people choose.
    Why do you think athleisure is a mismatch at the airport? I would argue the exact opposite. Athleisure is about combining comfort & style in clothing, which is exactly what you want when you are traveling.

Leave a comment:

• dappertert
    replied
    The most important aspect to getting away with "athleisure" is being in good shape. You need to look like it's plausible that you're going to or from a gym or other exercise venue. And athleisure tends to be form-fitting.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddington View Post
    Athleisure is a word made up by people too rich to care how they look and passed down to people that want an excuse to wear sweatpants in public because they are too lazy to put on real clothes.
    Yes, I think it's laziness and not comfort.

*** I will not take people with facial tattoos and piercings seriously.
    But in a dark alley, I might take them very seriously.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    What is up with such careless and sloppy attire for travel?! While I think athleisure is a bit of a mismatch in the airport, I travel quite a bit and agree that there is WAY worse going on out there. Sometimes I'm just dumbfounded by what people choose.
    To be fair the airlines have made airline travel such a hassle into increasing smaller spaces I don’t blame people.

I’m usually in jeans and a t shirt due to planes being so hot and cramped.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by SFe Guy View Post
    Recently I had to do quite a bit of air travel and it is my observation that the most stylish people I saw in airport terminals were male & female millennials (but not exclusively) wearing what I call athleisure -- usually slim-cut running pants, a hoodie, some type of puffer jacket, and athletic shoes. In comparison, almost everyone else looked like a frump.

Leave a comment:

• SFe Guy
    replied
    An observation

Recently I had to do quite a bit of air travel and it is my observation that the most stylish people I saw in airport terminals were male & female millennials (but not exclusively) wearing what I call athleisure -- usually slim-cut running pants, a hoodie, some type of puffer jacket, and athletic shoes. In comparison, almost everyone else looked like a frump.

Leave a comment:

• abh159
    replied
    Athleisure is just like any other choice of clothing or outfit. There are appropriate situations to wear it and inappropriate situations. I'm not going to wear joggers and a tshirt on a dinner date, but I'm also not throwing on chinos and a polo to mow my lawn.

I think the main problem people have with athleisure is that the majority of people who wear it seem to choose to do it when "real" clothes would be more appropriate (i.e. dinner date, sporting events, casual meet up with friends, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    If the argument against athleisure is a functional one - those clothes belong in the gym - then 90% of the people I see wearing boots are equally inappropriately dressed. There are many things that were designed to fit a specific purpose, subsequently appropriated for casual and street wear and considered to be quite stylish. I mean, should you only wear a Henley if you're on the rowing team?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X