Style Scenario: Valentines outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style Scenario: Valentines outside

So my wife and I are going to do an overnight trip to Asheville NC for Valentines. If you have never been, its a cool little town that requires a lot of walking outside. My wife is putting some thought into her dinner outfit so I am going to as well. Its not a super fancy town but she wants to look more put together than jeans and a sweater. Whatever I wear needs to be comfortable to walk in, layered to regulate body temps because Feb can be 50 in the day but drops to 30 or so in the evening and wind can be a factor. But also smart casual. Denim is fine if I dress up the rest.

A standard option is an OCBD, merino cardigan, j Crew Sussex jacket, dark jeans, and some casual gum sole wingtips I have. I could toss in a knit or wool tie possibly.

Another similar variation would a patterned button up (gingham, etc), thicker cardigan, and camel hair blazer, chinos, and Kenton Pacer boots.

I also have various other sweater styles like crew neck, vneck, mock neck, 1/4 zip...but I lean towards a cardigan because I can unbutton or just completely remove if I want. And it gives a decent casual substitute for a blazer.

I also have wool pants and corduroy to work with but I am pretty sure she is doing some corduroy and I have a thing about that so I probably wont use them.

For outerwear, I have a couple of camel hair blazers that are tailored to be worn as outerwear, meaning I have room to wear a thick sweater under if needed. My sussex is olive green, and I have a navy field jacket (probably too casual), a tan Harrington (probably too thin), and a grey wool bomber (probably too bulky). No tweed sport coat unfortunately. My navy blazer is pretty trim tailored and I dont have a topcoat so its out.

I am willing to buy something, but only if it can be used again in other situations..IE casual. I work from home so Im not buying anymore blazers. I would consider a new coat if it could also be worn to the zoo or a casual dinner date too. No full length top coats. And no pea coats. They look dumb on me. Wife has confirmed.

So...any suggestions? I know i can toss something together but she is putting some effort in so I was hoping to maybe give her something a little new too and think outside of my usual go to options without getting crazy.

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    A standard option is an OCBD, merino cardigan, j Crew Sussex jacket, dark jeans, and some casual gum sole wingtips I have. I could toss in a knit or wool tie possibly.

Another similar variation would a patterned button up (gingham, etc), thicker cardigan, and camel hair blazer, chinos, and Kenton Pacer boots.
    Sounds like you're already good to go. There's plenty of time, why not just do a "makeover montage" at home? Put some different stuff together, see what it looks like, decide if it works together for you, and pick something she likes the look of on you. She's the one that'll be out with you, her opinion matters way more than ours.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      Sounds like you're already good to go. There's plenty of time, why not just do a "makeover montage" at home? Put some different stuff together, see what it looks like, decide if it works together for you, and pick something she likes the look of on you. She's the one that'll be out with you, her opinion matters way more than ours.
      Yeah, I kind of already know what she likes as far as colors and what not. She is very sweet and compliments me on the stuff she likes so its not a mystery lol. I dont think I am going to go way out of the box here. maybe just step up my normal game a little with the knit tie and maybe pick up a top coat. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Happy to help. It's a lot simpler than most guys think. Confidence > *
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Asheville is a great weekend vacation town! I've been there a number of times, and it sounds like you have too so this shouldn't surprise you... If you are wearing shoes and you don't have on tie die you are already better dressed than half the population. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking, I would worry about getting overheated in a coat or wool pants. Unless you are okay with taking it off and carrying it around.

Last time I was there, early March of last year, I was able to get away with jeans, boots, and a series of sweaters. Lighter sweaters during the day and thicker at night. We went to 2 nice restaurants for dinner and that attire was more than appropriate for the atmosphere.

Hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
            Asheville is a great weekend vacation town! I've been there a number of times, and it sounds like you have too so this shouldn't surprise you... If you are wearing shoes and you don't have on tie die you are already better dressed than half the population. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking, I would worry about getting overheated in a coat or wool pants. Unless you are okay with taking it off and carrying it around.

Last time I was there, early March of last year, I was able to get away with jeans, boots, and a series of sweaters. Lighter sweaters during the day and thicker at night. We went to 2 nice restaurants for dinner and that attire was more than appropriate for the atmosphere.

Hope this helps some.
            yeah, with the elevation, it gets cold at night in February. March is starting to warm up a little. I dont mind carrying a coat around but I dont think I want to carry my wool pants around. Fair point though, I could probably do a lighter coat and still be OK, given the walking and being in and out of shops. Plus after about 2 hours I will have that liquid fueled internal heater going. AKA beer and wine.

I am also goign to wait and see a little bit more about what my wife is picking. I dont care about what other people are dressed like, but we try to match our level of formality. There is a high chance I will be good in jeans, thick cardigan, knit tie, and a pair of my nicer boots.

something along the lines of this, but with more than one button done because I'm not a heathen...

Comment

Working...
            X