Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuxedo Recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tuxedo Recommendations

    I'll be purchasing a tux soon and would like some brand suggestions. I thought I'd made it through life long enough and got away with never having to own one however we're finding more and more now that we're being invited to black tie events. On the rare occasion that's happened in the past, I've been able to get around it by dressing up a formal suit, but I'm not able to get away with that so much anymore.

    I figure I'll spend a few grand and want to make sure I'm doing it well. It'll be my only tux so will have to be versatile - not trendy - but I'd like it to say, "this guy knows how to dress himself". I have very little tux experience so don't quite know where to start. My favorite suit is a Canali, so do I just go that route again? Are they all gonna be about the same so it's just a matter of getting the nicer fabric? What questions need to be answered first?

    All of you with experience here, please set me in the right direction?

    Thanks!

    #2
    How formal? One button or two? Notch, Shawl, or Peak? Blue or black?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      How rare are you expecting these occasions to be? And keep in mind that if you're looking to go all in on looking like you know what you're doing, it's not just the tux but the accessories. Shirt, bow tie, vest or cummerbund, suspenders perhaps, studs and cuff links, maybe even special shoes?

      Your most traditional look is going to be single button, peak or shawl collar (not notch lapel), slash pockets, lapel faced with either satin or grossgrain, if you want a less "rental" look. Fabric covered button. Black or midnight blue.

      Comment


        #4
        Maybe not to your level but I’m beyond happy with my SuSu tuxedo package. Everything out the door for 799 I believe it was. Simple, classic and not a budget breaker

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          Maybe not to your level but I’m beyond happy with my SuSu tuxedo package. Everything out the door for 799 I believe it was. Simple, classic and not a budget breaker
          ^ x2
          Ben

          Comment


            #6
            I'll probably be in it 2-3 times each year and might switch up the shirt and tie depending on the occasion, as I do with my dark suits. Thanks for posing some questions since I have no idea whether it should be a 1 or 2 button, how formal, etc... I'd probably lean toward peak lapel since shawl feels like I might get a bit less mileage out of it but, then, I haven't given that one enough consideration either.

            Thanks for the suggestion, hockeysc23. I'll most definitely take a look for comparison but I'm also willing to spend more if I'm getting more for it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JohnR View Post
              I'll probably be in it 2-3 times each year and might switch up the shirt and tie depending on the occasion, as I do with my dark suits. Thanks for posing some questions since I have no idea whether it should be a 1 or 2 button, how formal, etc... I'd probably lean toward peak lapel since shawl feels like I might get a bit less mileage out of it but, then, I haven't given that one enough consideration either.

              Thanks for the suggestion, hockeysc23. I'll most definitely take a look for comparison but I'm also willing to spend more if I'm getting more for it.
              I'm very happy with my first tux purchase, from S&M during black Friday sales (Navy wool/mohair blend with peaked lapels). Haven't worn it for an actual occasion yet, but the fit "off the rack" was great and the price was amazing.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                I'll probably be in it 2-3 times each year and might switch up the shirt and tie depending on the occasion, as I do with my dark suits. Thanks for posing some questions since I have no idea whether it should be a 1 or 2 button, how formal, etc... I'd probably lean toward peak lapel since shawl feels like I might get a bit less mileage out of it but, then, I haven't given that one enough consideration either.

                Thanks for the suggestion, hockeysc23. I'll most definitely take a look for comparison but I'm also willing to spend more if I'm getting more for it.
                My question to you would be what are you trying to get more out of? To me a tux is a pretty simple setup. There can be variations but for something you may only wear a couple times a year I’d keep it simple and save money for items that get more use.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  My question to you would be what are you trying to get more out of? To me a tux is a pretty simple setup. There can be variations but for something you may only wear a couple times a year I’d keep it simple and save money for items that get more use.
                  By "more" I mean higher quality material and finish, for the most part. I'll only own one tux so I'd like it to be very nice, especially since the occasions when I'll wear it will also be very nice - charity fun raisers, dinner parties including fancy business folks around town, etc...

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Combat agent is running a sale today on Tuxes. I have one, which I wear 5-10 times a year. I’d suggest going as classic as you can, and sizing up, incase your lifestyle takes a change, and you need some more fabric to size up.
                    $100 is hard to sniff at.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                      #12
                      I don't own a tux but your instinct to go with the designer whose suits you think fit your frame the best seems spot on. Their tux would probably be cut more or less on the same pattern. Saw Trevor Noah in a double breasted tux jacket at some award show and I thought that looked pretty great but it's a little unconventional. The advantage of a DB jacket is no need for a cummerbund or waistcoat, but I'm guessing it's a look that could potentially get dated down the road.
                      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X