New boots - White's MP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boots - White's MP?

Hello Dappered Threads. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I'm slowly upgrading my shoe game, and am planning on buying a new pair of quality brown boots sometime soon. From the research I've done, I think I've narrowed it to the White's Boots MP boot in Cinnamon Waxed Flesh (pic below).

While I do own a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, this is a major purchase for me, as it's a lot of $$ to drop on one pair of shoes. Before I call up the shop and place an order, I thought I would check if I'm missing something that might suit me better at a lower price point, or if the White's are truly worth the cost of admission.

My criteria are: brown, cap toe, made from quality leather, capable of going from business casual to casual casual, fits well and is durable so it lasts.

I started by looking at the Thursday Boot Co. Vanguard, but the more I read, the more it seemed like Thursday Boots are perhaps not as durable and don't quite have the longevity that other quality boots have. The Red Wing Iron Ranger is an obvious choice, but the toe seemed very bulbous and it didn't seem like they would dress up very well. Viberg is out of my budget, and truth be told, White's is pushing it. Still, I'd rather not buy a lesser shoe that will wear and need replacing when by saving a little bit more I could have a lifetime boot...

Also - Dainite or Commando (lug) sole? Any advantages to the Dainite over the lug? Does the Dainite wear through more slowly?

Thanks for any thoughts, recommendations, or advice!

Have you considered the JCrew kenton captoe? When on sale they can be had for <$150

Comment

I’ve never heard of Whites, so my opinion on that brand is moot.

I own the AE Normandy. I wouldn’t recommend it.

I’ve attempted the J Crew Pacer and Kenton. They weren’t right for my foot. Stiff everywhere.

I’ve never regretted my purchases of my Alden Indy 403 and 405. Obviously it’s a high price point but for comfort, durability, and style, really are top notch.

I’d suggest giving the BR Arley a check. I’m surprised I’m saying it myself. But, it comes with a very thin lug sole and the leather is decent. The comfort is actually excellent. I have no knowledge of the longevity of these boots, but at $89 when on sale... I’d think 3 years would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those look great!

Don't have any personal experience with White's, but I recently shelled out for a pair of Trumans and I'm quite pleased (~$450, so a little bit below your price point but still a lot to me). They were worth the splurge for me because brown boots fit with basically everything in my wardrobe. Plus, I know they'll last a good long time, and look even better with the age. They're quite practical, and I'm finding myself wearing them nearly every day now that it's "winter" in the southeast US. If you like the look and think you'll get lots of regular use out of them, I'd say a pair of solid brown boots is worth an investment.

As for dainite/commando, that's a tough call. I like commando on these boots because I think the added heft complements the weight of the leather. But the pics on their website look great with dainite too. I went with commando for my trumans, and when I compare to another pair of boots with dainite, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in durability. That may differ brand to brand though. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want these to work for business casual, but I do think the lugs would look a little odd with, say, a navy blazer. It really depends most on the environment you're in, and how much you care about what other people think of your soles.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations so far! I'm looking a bit more into the Kenton captoe, but at first glance it doesn't quite seem on the same level as the White's w/r/t leather or construction (which the price would also indicate). I was looking at the Truman's too, but the Stridewise review stressed that they're very substantial, even chunky or tank-like, and I'm not sure that's the best fit for my intended use...

Originally posted by christophe View Post
          Those look great!

Don't have any personal experience with White's, but I recently shelled out for a pair of Trumans and I'm quite pleased (~$450, so a little bit below your price point but still a lot to me). They were worth the splurge for me because brown boots fit with basically everything in my wardrobe. Plus, I know they'll last a good long time, and look even better with the age. They're quite practical, and I'm finding myself wearing them nearly every day now that it's "winter" in the southeast US. If you like the look and think you'll get lots of regular use out of them, I'd say a pair of solid brown boots is worth an investment.

As for dainite/commando, that's a tough call. I like commando on these boots because I think the added heft complements the weight of the leather. But the pics on their website look great with dainite too. I went with commando for my trumans, and when I compare to another pair of boots with dainite, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in durability. That may differ brand to brand though. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want these to work for business casual, but I do think the lugs would look a little odd with, say, a navy blazer. It really depends most on the environment you're in, and how much you care about what other people think of your soles.

Hope that helps!
          Very helpful, thanks! Yeah, I see these as basically a staple in my wardrobe. By business casual, I mean that I usually wear a combination of shirt/tie/sweater/chinos/nice jeans. I don't wear suits, and I don't wear anything too flashy (I'm a college professor so this won't be used for actual outside work). I'd also like to be able to wear them on the weekends playing with my kids or out with my wife. While I would rotate them with other shoes, this would be the most money I have spent on an article of clothing that's not a suit, watch, or engagement ring, so I want to make sure I get it right.

I'm leaning Commando since I have Dainite on my AEs, but didn't know if those lugs would wear more quickly. Thanks again!

Comment

I don't have the MP, but I have the Semi Dress. Totally worth the money, in my opinion. White's is one of the best values for the quality in boots. I would suggest, however, to send in your foot measurements so you will be sized correctly right off the bat.

For ordering, I went through bakershoe.com. You can initiate the ordering process, sizing, and options with Kyle at [email protected]

Comment

Thanks all! Very helpful, and I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I posted a longer response but it told me it needs to be moderator approved, I'm guessing because I'm new?

Cheers!

Comment

If you already like AE, have you looked at the Alpine Cap toe? https://bit.ly/36e9wXg

I have the Higgins Mill and they are fantastic, This seems to be a cap toe version?

Comment

I'm sorry, I got this thread in google. I am looking for someone to advise me gaiters for hunting like here in the list but more stylish. Will I find someone on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchel View Post
                    I'm sorry, I got this thread in google. I am looking for someone to advise me gaiters for hunting like here in the list but more stylish. Will I find someone on this forum?
                    Truman makes some gun boots. They have a spectacular shrunken bison one right now.

As far as gaiters for snake protection, those are function over form pardner.

I suppose you could always commission a bootmaker, maybe Brian the Bootmaker in California, to custom-make you some bespoke gaiters.

They will not be inexpensive.

Maybe DIY?
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Crap! After making a really long reply, I noticed this is an old thread.

I'm sure the OP has already purchased his boots and is very happy with them.

And I'm feeling foolish for writing such a long reply.

Originally posted by jfwund View Post

Thanks for any thoughts, recommendations, or advice!

I think that's a great looking boot--but, for me, that contrasting sole would make it too casual for business casual.

This is the web page, yes? https://whitesboots.com/field/mp-sherman-half-sole/

I've never run into White's, so I'm really glad you posted. I'm always interested in small US shoe makers.

Also, the website description of "Handsewn Stitchdown Construction" sounds like Blake stitching--but further investigation reveals it's hand welted--I think. They also seem to sell glued down shoes.

https://whitesboots.com/construction-types

It's a little confusing.

But--At almost $600, you have a lot of choices. You can get a pair of Alden boots for the same price.

https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-sh...12-dark-brown/

You can get a made to order pair from JFitzpatrick footwear and get exactly what you want in terms of colors and soles for about the same (and sometimes he waives the MTO markup on sale).

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...ilitary-canvas

I'm very happy with my boots from him.

I think these White's boots would be better for business casual and save you $200.

https://whitesboots.com/town/main-street-toe-cap-calf/

As far as lug or Dainite, I would go with Dainite if you want to be able to wear for business casual.

I think my tastes run a bit more dressy than your tastes, perhaps.

Either way, it's a great looking boot and according to the website, it's very well made.

Have you talked to anyone who actually owns or wears them?
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...s_mp_boots_in/

here is a good review on the MP white boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchel View Post
                          Lucky for you I have a resource I like the Altra Trail Gaiter. Can't go wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X