George Lyon - new shoe company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Lyon - new shoe company

So a friend of mine from law school started a shoe company this year - https://www.georgelyonshoes.com/. That's not a referral link, and I have no financial stake/interest in the company. I also can't vouch for the quality, as they're a bit out of my price range and there is no discount/promotional distribution for former intramural sports teammates. But the founder, Josh, is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and I would love to see this work out for him. The shoes are goodyear welted with calf uppers and every pair comes with a matching belt. If you're in the market for something like that, I hope you'll take a look.

(I looked for any forum rules as to whether this kind of post is allowed. If it's not and this gets removed, I understand.)

it's a very crowded marketplace for shoes of that price. Especially completely unremarkable ones. The marketplace for 'nice' shoes as well, is very definitively on its way down.

I suspect they won't do well at all.

Comment

Love the idea of a matching belt being included but shoes are just one of those items I have to be able to try on. I don't want the hassle of returning. Best of luck to your friend.

Comment

I like those oxblood chukkas. The texture and color look nice. If they were half the price, I'd buy them!

Comment

Well, good luck to your friend. Starting a business is tough.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Nice looking shoes, but $450 is insane... I can get a pair of Allen Edmonds on sale for half of that, or spend an extra $100 and get a pair of Alden. Both proven commodities.

And I don’t see anything about where they are made?

Comment

They're made in Spain, though that's not terribly specific.

One other thing I noticed was the warranty that if the soles ever need to be replaced, you can contact the company and they'll "set that up for you." It doesn't say what that means, is it free? Do they do it for a price? Do they find someone local to do it? And with a new brand that doesn't have an established history or longevity, there's a chance the company won't even be around by the time the sole needs to be replaced. And granted, AE could go under tomorrow, but it's much more unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
                Nice looking shoes, but $450 is insane... I can get a pair of Allen Edmonds on sale for half of that, or spend an extra $100 and get a pair of Alden. Both proven commodities.

And I don’t see anything about where they are made?
                Well, I wouldn't say "insane," but I was thinking that they are priced on the high side without a real explanation justifying the price--the included belt, perhaps?

You can get much more stylish and equally well-constructed shoes from Justin Fitzpatrick for a bit less money.

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...tions/boutique

And Justin is someone who spent years learning the shoe business from top to bottom and inside out and around.

And he established his reputation with the Shoe Snob Blog for years before starting up his own brand.

I don't want to be a nay-sayer. I've been wrong more times than I can count.

I wish your friend the best in his venture.

But as you can see, he is going to be fighting an uphill battle. But perhaps he has some marketing ideas that will help him overcome?
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

The shoes do look good but I'd feel that the belt is being forced on me to help sell $350 shoes. Being 'handcrafted in spain' in this price range is no longer a distinct enough selling point. How they can stand out from other brands in the same space, say Lof&Tung, who also happen to sell exactly color matched belts, is the question.

Comment

I was just looking at Crownhill shoes which seem to be basically the same proposition but with the corporate office based in Spain (and without the belt of course) but considerably cheaper.

I’m not thrilled about the very Anglo name for a Spanish company which feels gimmicky. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just honest feedback. Certainly not bashing the company. Cobbler Union is far cheaper, highly respected, confirmed high quality, free shipping and returns, and similar sales model.

I wouldnt give them a second look with that being the case. I sincerely wish them the best and hope that they can succeed in a tight market.

Comment

Working...
                      X