Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clothing article/shoe that you struggle with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothing article/shoe that you struggle with?

I was looking at my shoes and realized that I really struggle with finding shoes that I like. I am very particular about my shoes and will spend a good amount researching them and won't necessarily be shy about spending more than I should, but a lot of times I end up not liking them as much as I should. The problem will be that I end up wearing them one time before I discover that. A few examples - A few years ago, I bought some army-ish looking boots for ~$250. Wore them one time and decided they were too army-ish for my tastes (side note - bought some rather expensive Magnanni boots two years ago and leave them). I bought some Tom's sneakers a few months ago, wanting something a little more casual but still sneakers. Questioned them when I got them, but ended up wearing them out regardless. They were ~$100 and will probably be my new yard work shoes... I bought some Oliver Cabell trainers from Huckberry a few months ago (even after starting a thread asking about them or similar) for about $240. They are a good, quality shoe, but I've been struggling a bit trying to determine what to wear them with. I'm hoping that they will be more conducive to warmer weather. I'm hopeful on that because them seem to be more a light weight slim pant and t-shirt shoe. Not a "f it's cold... I need to weather a heavy coat" shoes. Last example - when the monk strap dress shoes first started coming back, I bought a pair of Cole Haans. This was probably 8 years ago I bet. I honestly don't think I've worn them. At the same time I bought those, I bought the same color (british tan) of Cole Haan plain toe dress shoes. I still have those and wear them all of the time when I need that type of shoe.

I'm not sure why I have a such a shoe problem. I wonder if it could be due to shoes being very dependent upon the rest of the clothes that you are wearing, so it sometimes can take a bit to figure out if you really like them or not. Or maybe I just have a problem with shoes...

Anyone else have trouble with various clothing items?

Sneakers - yes. I have narrow, but odd shaped feet. Sneakers that are comfortable look too big. Sneakers that are designed to be narrow end up killing my big toes.

Dress shoes? AE 10B. The 5 or 8 lasts work awesome for my foot shape.

In the meantime, I’m slumming it with white on white leather Converses all-stars. Not quite elegant, but they get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I struggle with finding the perfect semi-brogue Oxford. I have found them, but then they cost $900–$1200 and I never buy them. I can't seem to find what I want in the sub-$400 range. It's always either too light, too dark, a pattern I don't like, don't look as good in person as in the pictures, or have too chunky a sole.

Comment

Not a problem this time of year but I have struggled with finding the right shoes to wear with shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
          Not a problem this time of year but I have struggled with finding the right shoes to wear with shorts.
          I do too. Sometimes, I'll default to Sperry's if I want to be at least somewhat put together, but I'm not a huge fan of that luck. Other times, I'll just wear my rainbow sandals. If it's "athletic" type shirt plus shirts, I'll end up with my old retro looking Nike running shoes, but that can look sloppy too.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
            I struggle with finding the perfect semi-brogue Oxford. I have found them, but then they cost $900–$1200 and I never buy them. I can't seem to find what I want in the sub-$400 range. It's always either too light, too dark, a pattern I don't like, don't look as good in person as in the pictures, or have too chunky a sole.
            May be worth posting a pic and asking the group on this. I have some Carmina Semi-brogues on the Rain last and love them. The AE Strand never looked right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
              May be worth posting a pic and asking the group on this. I have some Carmina Semi-brogues on the Rain last and love them. The AE Strand never looked right to me.
              Those look perfect and even have my size... I would just need to get over the additional $100. Thanks though, I hadn't considered those yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
                Those look perfect and even have my size... I would just need to get over the additional $100. Thanks though, I hadn't considered those yet.
                If you go down the Carmina path, it is worth waiting for their sales which are not blanket of every style but a select set of styles. Also it is worth noting the many vendors that offer Carmina and if they have the semi's, note it for future sales. I think 15-20% off is possible in time but sizing can be tough. Also, the Carmina Outlet can sometimes offer great deals on last pairs before they do another restock.

Comment

Frequently I think we buy things because we think we need them, or we think we're supposed to want them, even though we don't actually want them. Then after owning them for a short period of time we realize we never really wanted them in the first place.

When it comes to new stuff, I try not to buy it (if it's in-person) or keep it (if it's an online order) unless I really love it when it's in my hands (or on my body, my feet, whatever). If I don't love it at the get-go the odds are only so-so that I will warm up to it over time. And if I don't love it at the get-go, it's not like I'm going to have much opportunity to warm up to it as I probably won't go out of my way to wear it.

I still get buyer's remorse with things, including with shoes. But for me it tends to be that I like the shoe but realize over time that the fit/sizing is wrong and the shoe isn't going to break in the way I had anticipated/hoped.
                  Ben

Comment

Do you have any shoes that you actually like? If so, what are they? Why do you like them? What do you typically wear--suits? Jeans? Chinos?

Lately, my struggle with clothing has been with quality. I used to need a lot more clothing, so I would skimp on quality/price sometimes.

Now, I work at home and don't need nearly so many clothes as I have. I would much prefer fewer clothes, but much nicer. Even some of my Allen Edmonds shoes that I enjoy, I would prefer to have fewer, but maybe from their higher lines like the Independence Collection. Or maybe even a pair or two from even more exclusive makers.

I've donated a bunch of stuff, but some of it still feels too new to donate.

Like you, I have shoes I've worn only a few times. Also sports coats. And suits, dress shirts, and ties I haven't worn since January this year. Maybe some socks as well.
                    Last edited by mebejoseph; December 17, 2019, 10:45 AM.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

That's some major truth. I need to get better at only keeping things that I really love. I have a bunch of stuff that has mostly just sat in my closet since I purchased it, but I felt bad with returning it because I got it on sale or at a really good price. That or with shoes that I have been unwilling to go through the break-in process.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                        Lately, my struggle with clothing has been with quality.
                        Same for me. I am getting to the point where my first rounds of cheaper dappered purchases are coming ready for replacement. For me the struggle has always been pants, I have never found in off the rack pair of pants that fits well, so everything gets tailored. I’m struggling with finding something that’s high-quality so it’s worth tailoring, fits in the right areas, but is not going to blow the bank.

Also, I have wide feet and a really wide toebox, there aren’t many options for nice shoes and boots that have a wide toebox and work in a business setting.

Comment

Mine has always been pants. Fit is tough given my legs and I'm sure my mom conditioned me to not spend a lot of money on clothes. That's why this site has helped me so much because with the opinions, articles, etc. I can see where I get a lot of value for my dollar.

So i'll spend too much time looking and never end up buying because something is just off in the fit or outside a comfortable range. I get frustrated and want to stop looking until I have to replace ones.

It used to be over coats because I couldn't find the right fit, comfort, and price but S&M solved that. Love that over coat. Solved my 3 year search for the right one.

Comment

I have a really tough time getting jackets/sportcoats to fit right. I'm thick through the chest and shoulder but not through the waist, one shoulder is lower than the other, one shoulder isn't as wide as the other, I have a short torso, blah, blah.
                            I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                              Lately, my struggle with clothing has been with quality. I used to need a lot more clothing, so I would skimp on quality/price sometimes.
                              I had this problem, but it turned out to be a bit of my own imagination.

I thought I needed a bunch of different things as someone would notice if I wore X and Y too many times. But, nobody ever notices and they even think I am wearing something different when I am not. I was convinced of this due to the fact that I can wear a different pocket square and people that see me all the time will ask "is that a new jacket?" This made me realize that other people are only seeing the effect; I'm the one that sees every piece of clothing.

I was/am also nervous about wearing something too intense, but I am getting over that. For example, I've moved from the reliable colors of charcoal and navy to browns, lighter greys, and different shades of blue. I am also no longer petrified by patterns. For a long time, I had anxiety about being "that guy," but I literally am that guy... so no need to fight it.

Comment

Working...
                              X