Does this look ok in terms of fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this look ok in terms of fit?

I took this photo off the Huckberry site, as it perfectly illustrates the question I have.

Does the amount of space around the laces look ok, or is it too wide? When I put these Chukkas on I have a similar gap, and to my eye it doesn’t look ok.

I would appreciate more viewpoints.

Thanks everyone!

This is entirely dependent on the boot and your foot. Most would say if the laces are that far spread, you need a wide boot. I have found Chukkas to often have laces like that though. Those also look pretty loose. I lace up tight personally, but i have narrow heels. The biggest question would be how do they feel?

Comment

If I'm understanding your comment to refer to the amount of space across the tongue between the two lines of lace holes: Shoes designed with an open vamp can have varying amounts of space between the sides, depending on the design as much as the fit. That particular design seems to have quite a wide vamp, which if closed much tighter would cause the tongue to wrinkle. As a matter of taste I'd agree that the vamp opening is too wide for the shoe, and would prefer a design with a narrower tongue and higher sides to the vamp. Having only two sets of lace holes and thin laces only emphasizes the wide opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
        If I'm understanding your comment to refer to the amount of space across the tongue between the two lines of lace holes: Shoes designed with an open vamp can have varying amounts of space between the sides, depending on the design as much as the fit. That particular design seems to have quite a wide vamp, which if closed much tighter would cause the tongue to wrinkle. As a matter of taste I'd agree that the vamp opening is too wide for the shoe, and would prefer a design with a narrower tongue and higher sides to the vamp. Having only two sets of lace holes and thin laces only emphasizes the wide opening.
        He said it better lol

Comment

Thanks a lot [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7205]Galcobar[/MENTION].

The chukkas feel absolutely fine, it's just the aesthetic. I do need a wide shoe/boot, but the 9Ms fit very comfortably in this boot, with the only "disappointment" being the aesthetic. It has been tough finding boots that fit comfortably for wide feet, which is why I wanted to see if this is normal or not.

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

Comment

Too far apart. You must have a high arch or a wide foot.

I think The Shoe Snob has an article on this. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Found it:

https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2016...of-a-shoe.html

Here's an excerpt:

A new shoe should in theory have a slight gap between the laces, so that when the shoes break in and your foot sinks into the foot bed, then the laces will come together to create the perfect enclosure. If they close already when they are brand new, then chances are they are too big or you need to fill up some volume with a insole. If there is a 1/2 inch (1.25cm) gap between the laces, then they are either too tight or your instep does not suit that shoe. But as I said before, this does not mean that you can necessarily go to another size.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

Thanks! I do have a high instep, as it appears does the person modelling the boots for Huckberry's website. They just didn't look right, although they felt comfortable. The search continues!

Comment

Maybe try a heavier or a flat lace, to visually fill in some of the space in the open vamp, if you're thinking about keeping them.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                    Maybe try a heavier or a flat lace, to visually fill in some of the space in the open vamp, if you're thinking about keeping them.
                    That is a great idea. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X