Spier & Mackay Camel Overcoat Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier & Mackay Camel Overcoat Review

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw a lot of discussion about the S&M overcoats; since I was also considering them for a long time I finally pulled the trigger during their Black Friday sale. Here’s my review for others who are still considering it.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/camel...oat-37508.html

The biggest question on the forum was sizing and I highly suggest sizing up if you plan to wear over a suit. I am a size 38R in suit jackets so I sized up to a 40 for this overcoat and it was perfect. It fits over a suit comfortably without having to fight it to put it on. Once on, it still looks cohesive rather than like a kid wearing his dad’s coat. I know the website says to order your regular size to fit over a suit, but I highly recommend discarding that advice and sizing up a size.

The fabric is amazingly is soft. It’s very smooth.

The color is darker and richer than in the picture, and for the better. On the website, the coat looks like a bright yellowish shade of tan, which made me nervous. In person, however, it’s a darker almost golden tan. It’s a true camel color and it is absolutely beautiful.

As for function, the coat is incredibly warm. I wore it over a suit in low-30s weather and I was comfortable throughout the night. And I’ve worn it in the mid-20s with just a lambswool turtleneck and it kept me warm.

Overall, I highly recommend this coat. It is an incredible value. I’ve been researching camel coats for a long time and there is no better value out there. Other camel coats for this same quality is going for literally double the price; whereas those at a similar price range is drenched in polyester.

Last season’s overcoats are going for $200-$250 and I highly recommend grabbing one while you can. They’re a steal at that price. You won’t regret it.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/...outerwear.html
    Last edited by garryowen47; December 15, 2019, 01:59 PM.

man i have been wanting one of these since they released them last year. They are amazing!

Comment

Wow. Those are damn nice coats. Good review too. I've been wearing my JC topcoat religiously for the past couple of years. But in reading your review of the S&M coat I'm starting to think that switching it up might be in order.

You're right about the colour though. In looking at the coat on their site, the colour is yellowish. Any chance you can post some photos of your coat?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        Wow. Those are damn nice coats. Good review too. I've been wearing my JC topcoat religiously for the past couple of years. But in reading your review of the S&M coat I'm starting to think that switching it up might be in order.

You're right about the colour though. In looking at the coat on their site, the colour is yellowish. Any chance you can post some photos of your coat?

Cheers.
        Same for me. When I need a coat like this, I'll wear my probably 8 year old JCrew topcoat too (black). Those Spier coats look really nice though. I'll feel like my JCrew coat is a little long now, and consequently seems a little out of style, meaning I don't reach for it unless I absolutely need to. I think I might wear those Spier coats more though. I wish they had a 40 in the final sale ones - I would buy a camel, charcoal, and navy if they had them. Can't beat that for $200. At $400... I know it's worth, but that's getting into the "I need to be sure I will wear this a lot price" to justify it. If money was no object, I'd happily buy each color plus that houndstooth one.

Does Spier typically do final sales when they are left with the 'not-so-normal' sizes? I'm guessing I won't be lucky enough to score anything in 40R.

Comment

I would love to post a pic but posting pics on here isn't entirely intuitive. Or maybe I'm a Luddite...

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
            I would love to post a pic but posting pics on here isn't entirely intuitive. Or maybe I'm a Luddite...
            As a fellow Luddite, I found that you need to download the Tapatalk app on your phone, then upload pictures that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesape View Post
              I wish they had a 40 in the final sale ones - I would buy a camel, charcoal, and navy if they had them. Can't beat that for $200. At $400... I know it's worth, but that's getting into the "I need to be sure I will wear this a lot price" to justify it. If money was no object, I'd happily buy each color plus that houndstooth one.
              This probably won't help your wallet, but they do have the camel wool/cashmere final sale in 40R.

Comment

[QUOTE=ianr;316889]This probably won't help your wallet, but they do have the camel wool/cashmere final sale in 40R.[

You got me excited for a second until I dug into it and realized it was the double breasted version. I like the single breasted versions.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
                  Create an account at Imgur
                  Upload your photos there
                  Copy the link
                  Create your post here
                  Click on the 'insert image' link
                  Paste your link from Imgur
                  Done!

Or, as others have stated use TapTalk. Makes the process pretty seamless. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave
                    Create an account at Imgur
                    Upload your photos there
                    Copy the link
                    Create your post here
                    Click on the 'insert image' link
                    Paste your link from Imgur
                    Done!

Or, as others have stated use TapTalk. Makes the process pretty seamless. Cheers.
                    forum owners just dont want to host the images (which i can understand) unfortunately so they make you link them. I have avoided posting numerous times on here and reddit because its just a pain in the ass to be honest. In a day where everything is easy, there needs to be an upload image button but again i completely understand why a host would not want to have to store the images etc.

Comment

There is a $100 off coats code: COATS100

Ends at midnight EST today.

Comment

In related news, I received my charcoal cashmere/wool overcoat two days ago and wore it yesterday. Buttery smooth cloth and a perfect fit. With that, plus the navy pea coat that I got two weeks ago, I am now squarely in the Spier and Mackay fanboy camp.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
                          In related news, I received my charcoal cashmere/wool overcoat two days ago and wore it yesterday. Buttery smooth cloth and a perfect fit. With that, plus the navy pea coat that I got two weeks ago, I am now squarely in the Spier and Mackay fanboy camp.
                          Congrats and did you size up or stay with your normal size?

Comment

Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
                            Congrats and did you size up or stay with your normal size?
                            I bought a top coat from S&M last year and I bought the same size as my sports jacket from S&M (36R). It's comfortable when I am not wearing a sports jacket, but with a sports jacket, it's too tight, especially on tweed jackets.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post
                              I bought a top coat from S&M last year and I bought the same size as my sports jacket from S&M (36R). It's comfortable when I am not wearing a sports jacket, but with a sports jacket, it's too tight, especially on tweed jackets.
                              For another data point, I bought my size (38) this year and it seems to fit fine over a jacket, feels a little loose without.

I thought at first the waist was tight, but I realized I was stuffing winter gloves in the pockets and then buttoning... this wouldn't happen normally as if I was buttoning it, I would be wearing gloves.

Comment

Working...
                              X