Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you buy anything from Spier and McKay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
    They have some nice stuff, but it takes too much effort to find a size in stock. It's a waste of time. A bunch of people seem to like the company and its offerings, so they need to realize this and get more inventory.
    That requires revenue. They seem to be cautious about making too many changes to their current model too quickly because they'd like to stay in business. I'm sure that they keep track of what is selling and what sits around until it sells at 40% of the original cost. I get that it's frustrating to not see your size, and I also get that they are not running the business to cater to an individual customer. Saying they should get more stock massively oversimplifies the issue.

Comment

Though, if you could have an option to be emailed when a size in a certain item is restocked, that would be great. I didn't see any option on their website for notifications like that.

Comment

I will say I am sharing this frustration this am. Wife said to buy a couple more Sportcoats since there is the last day of their sale. Their searching and filters are terrible. It says there are 45 options in 40R contemporary. The first 10 or so are out of stock completely of all sizes. The others don’t have 40R at all.

I want to give them money and I just got frustrated and gave up.

Comment

Rick from Spier and Mackay is well aware of the website issues but it's not a quick fix--the only solution is a wholesale redo of the back end as well as the site itself. That's been in the works for a while and is expected to be completed soon. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by mlstein View Post
            Rick from Spier and Mackay is well aware of the website issues but it's not a quick fix--the only solution is a wholesale redo of the back end as well as the site itself. That's been in the works for a while and is expected to be completed soon. Patience is a virtue.
            I work in enterprise retail software and am acutely familiar with the issue.

On other sites, whether you see how the back-end data is organized or not, they frequently consider a different fit to be a different item master and each standard size as a different SKU for inventory purposes. Thus, if you had "slim" and "contemporary" as your fits with "38S" and "40R" as your available sizes, there may be two item definitions (slim, contemporary) and two size variants for each item definition (38S, 40R). Some fashion websites simply list each fit as a different item, others create product pages that act as the parent data for the child items. The alternative is to have fits*sizes SKUs, in this case 4 SKUs. The fits+sizes is a common solution to the problem with a new problem introduced where every time you add a new fit, you add a slew of new SKUs for the corresponding sizes.

A mistake I see is tagging the fit as a special group like you would "blue" or "wool." Blue or wool work fine since every inventoried item within that item definition is going to share that attribute regardless of size. But, if you define an item as being a member or two fits, a data query referencing groups will show both fits as available inventory even if only one is in stock.

TL;DR I agree it would require a redo of the data structure as it looks like it is not in a standard form.

Comment

Originally posted by mlstein View Post
              How long should a customer be patient? It’s been like this for almost a year. Patience is fine and all but if you want someone’s business as an e retailer fixing the website so people can find your products had to be a priority. And I like S&M. But I budgeted to spend 500 today on new coats and spent nothing.

That’s lost revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                How long should a customer be patient? It’s been like this for almost a year. Patience is fine and all but if you want someone’s business as an e retailer fixing the website so people can find your products had to be a priority. And I like S&M. But I budgeted to spend 500 today on new coats and spent nothing.

That’s lost revenue.
                So you haven’t been able to buy so they’ve lost your money; so as a result you’re going to punish them by ... not buying thereby stopping them from taking your money.

I just figure that inventory tracking and predicting what will be purchased are really difficult problems and getting them wrong in the other direction also costs money and potentially undermines the price point which costs money on the long run. Maybe they’ve got too many variables, but also I don’t expect their website to run like J crew or BR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
                  So you haven’t been able to buy so they’ve lost your money; so as a result you’re going to punish them by ... not buying thereby stopping them from taking your money.

I just figure that inventory tracking and predicting what will be purchased are really difficult problems and getting them wrong in the other direction also costs money and potentially undermines the price point which costs money on the long run. Maybe they’ve got too many variables, but also I don’t expect their website to run like J crew or BR.

Why do you need predictive inventory? Tying your inventory to a ERS is not difficult. It just has to be a business priority. Managing your inventory is one of the most important aspects of a business it impacts ordering, etc.

Several websites have this problem solved. I’m not trying to drag them through the mud. It just is frustrating. I like their product. I want to buy. It becomes so difficult that I didn’t. I’ve had friends complain with the same issue. I want them to be successful. I’ve recommended them to several.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    Why do you need predictive inventory?
                    I don’t think the tech issue is the big one. And I didn’t say anything about “predictive” inventory. I expect that they’ve decided the risk of underselling is less than that of over-ordering and for a new company with somewhat high cost of goods and price sensitivity I can see why.

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post

I just figure that inventory tracking and predicting what will be purchased are really difficult problems and getting them wrong in the other direction also costs money and potentially undermines the price point which costs money on the long run.
                      Demand planning is not that complicated, especially not with appropriate software.

Even so, if you ran demand planning against historical sales data for suits, you'd probably have a suggestion to raise big POs for size 42–46, plain navy and charcoal suits and very small suggested orders for anything else. The fact that I manage to grab an unusual color/pattern in 38 is a small miracle and I wouldn't expect it ever to be easy.

Comment

I am in the camp of 'their website is so frustrating that even 25% off suits wasn't worth the hassle of trying to navigate it'. I was actually going to post a thread about it before I saw this one.

The thing is, while there may be backend complexities in sorting through inventory by size and fit as discussed above, even very basic things are broken on the site. For instance, the 'Sort By:' dropdown box straight up doesn't work (on mobile or desktop). The 'Refine' selection process is so janky that if I select just 'Size: 32', it will show me items that are either completely sold out, or are sold out in every size except, say, 36. On mobile, when you select an item to refine by, the screen goes blank, so you have to refresh and go back into the refine section to see if your item is selected. After you verify it is, there is no button to press to say you've selected all the criteria you want. Literally every step along the way is fundamentally broken. If it's not functional, at least remove it! The optics are obviously bad, and yes, I'd say it makes it an even worse user experience to see tools presented that then don't work vs. not having them presented at all.

I hope the best for them, their stuff seems nice, and perhaps someday I'll get to try some of it

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Hollow View Post
                          If it's not functional, at least remove it! The optics are obviously bad, and yes, I'd say it makes it an even worse user experience to see tools presented that then don't work vs. not having them presented at all.
                          I totally agree with this.

As it is, I have to open every page anyway. I'd be happier with showing everything and then a "next" button after I open something than the illusion of filters and sorting.

Comment

I get that there are technical complexities I don't fully understand with these sorts of website issues. But S&M has had these issues going on for YEARS while seemingly every other online retailer seems to do just fine. This can't possibly be a novel problem for a clothing e-tailer. Prioritize the issue and get your shit sorted out, come on.

I say that as someone who likes S&M and has spent a LOT of money there and wants the business to succeed. It's hard to spend money there when it's impossible to find the items they have in your size and fit.
                            Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 3rd, 2020, 06:12 AM.
                            Ben

Comment

Ironically, this is a testament to how well they are doing as a business if people are complaining about not being able to buy stuff from them on demand. At the same time, some these posts are kind of petulant. It's a small business with limited stock. If they ran out of your size in something you wanted, I get the disappointment (it took a lot of effort to eventually find anything on Jomers to buy because some items sold out in minutes). Move on. Complaining on a message board that you're giving up on them is probably not hurting their bottom line since they move through a lot of stock. Keep an eye on the new arrivals page and sign up for their emails.

Comment

Working...
                              X