Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewards and cash back maximizing - How much of it do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewards and cash back maximizing - How much of it do you do?

I recently picked up a few stuff from BR, with 8% cash back with Ebates. Pretty neat, right?
    But then, I noticed that Gap is running 10% cash back. So I exited BR, went into Gap with BR items in the cart, and checked out with 10% cash back.

The difference is just a couple dollars, but I felt like I wanted to maximize any cash back I am allowed to get if all I had to do was a couple extra taps on the phone.

It made me wonder though, how much of rewards/cash back maximizing do you guys do when you shop?

Those are all just ways for companies to aggregate personal information about you and sell it to the highest bidder.

I opt out.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Not worth it to me to jump through their hoops.

Comment

The only thing I do is max cash back based on which credit card I use. I Will also do searching for coupon codes but I just don’t trust those ebate type websites.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          The only thing I do is max cash back based on which credit card I use. I Will also do searching for coupon codes but I just don’t trust those ebate type websites.
          Yeah, my wife does ebates (which I think is now Rakuten?), but I generally stick to my credit cards for my cashback/reward points optimization. I know for Chase, you can go through the Ultimate Rewards portal and often get an additional percentage kickback (on top of the normal card rewards) from a lot of the major online retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by mochi123 View Post
            how much of rewards/cash back maximizing do you guys do when you shop?
            I never do.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
              Those are all just ways for companies to aggregate personal information about you and sell it to the highest bidder.

I opt out.
              Of using credit cards or other electronic payments? Or of cashback rewards programs?

Comment

I opt out.
                I agree. I don't ever give any info I don't have to, otherwise I start getting bombarded with mail/e-mail from places I've never heard of. I have 1 point/cash back type of credit card that I use for all of my automated and online purchases and that's it.

Comment

Never done the rebates sites. The only credit card hopping I do is Citi Double Cash 2% on all purchases then an Amazon card for 5% back. The rest is just a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
                    Of using credit cards or other electronic payments? Or of cashback rewards programs?
                    rewards and points programs not attached to an existing card.

frequent buyer points, clubs, all that stuff...it's just data harvesting with an incentive attached to get you to agree to it.

i mean it's totally your call, but my line of work already has enough risks, and while OPM already completely borked me and everything's out there, a lot has been thankfully updated/changed to minimize risk. call it professional paranoia if you will.

Comment

[MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION]

You can't escape. "They" are getting hundreds of pages of information about everything they do and aggregating it.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/11...Cn2e5S-MCr5gTc

But I don't bother shopping around with ebates and similar. It's not worth the time to me. I do have a couple of rewards CC I shop with. One offers extra points if I have its web browser extension installed. I do that.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                        [MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION]

You can't escape. "They" are getting hundreds of pages of information about everything they do and aggregating it.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/11...Cn2e5S-MCr5gTc

But I don't bother shopping around with ebates and similar. It's not worth the time to me. I do have a couple of rewards CC I shop with. One offers extra points if I have its web browser extension installed. I do that.
                        Oh I'm well aware.

Protecting certain members of dod in this arena is kinda my game....there's ways around it.

Comment

This is a timely thread. Out of some combination of suspicion and perceived hassle, I have never used these types of rewards (outside my normal X% cash back credit card). Until yesterday...

I have been in the market for a do-all four-season navy wool blazer for over a year. Based on previous threads here, I settled on unstructured hopsack with patch pockets as the target style. S&M and Bonobos seemed to best fit the bill, with S&M the frontrunner due to price. But they never seemed to have my size during any of their sales and I couldn't stomach full price. Yesterday's Bonobos sale put their Joe-approved Italian hopsack blazer at $234. I saw on Reddit that Rakuten had 15% cash back on Bonobos plus a $10 sign-up bonus, which brought it down to just under $190. So, I bit the bullet and both signed up for Rakuten and ordered the blazer. Couldn't pass it up at that price.

Now, I'll collect my cash back and opt out of Rakuten...

Comment

there's ways around it.
                            such as horse head masks?

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                              such as horse head masks?
                              Kinda.

Comment

Working...
                              X