Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoe recommendations for upcoming trip with lots of walking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a link to an etiquette guide, it also has pics of shoes at a Japanese hostel, so you can see what is typical for backpackers.

https://villagehiker.com/travel/trav...-vh-ce-03.html

The biggest problem I would see for the Stan Smiths is that they could get dirty very easily.

Comment

What is the climate in Japan like in the spring? Are you going to potentially face regular rain, and if so are you going to let that stop you from exploring places by foot? Because, if not, multiple pairs of shoes will be very desirable. I'd get something that handles damp well - the Scarpas and Danner boots mentioned previously, also Merrell, Oboz, etc. - pretty much all of the major hiking boot manufacturers have what they call town to trail shoes that have a waterproof breathable membrane to keep your feet dry. They're more stylish than full on hikers but usually have an EVA cushioned midsole and an underfoot nylon shank to support the foot. They are great for long days on your feet. That said, the outer shell fabric of even these waterproof breathable footwear will get soaked through if you're out in the rain long enough, and any shoe that gets soaked is going to take longer than 24 hours to dry. So unless you want to slip into soggy footwear the next morning I would recommend at least two pairs of shoes that can handle anything you may be doing. And then maybe one pair of dressier shoes (something smart casual like a chukka or brogue) that will be fairly comfortable for walking in but will make you not seem out of place in a more swanky setting.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
        What is the climate in Japan like in the spring? Are you going to potentially face regular rain, and if so are you going to let that stop you from exploring places by foot? Because, if not, multiple pairs of shoes will be very desirable.
        During the time I'm going, end of March/first 2 weeks of April, the temps range from the 50s-60s F in the major cities of Tokyo/Kyoto. It is not rainy season, but Spring showers are real and do happen. In Takayama the temps might be a few degrees cooler. I will only be there for 2 days though. One day there I plan to do a day trip up to the mountains and this is where there could still be light snow on the ground.

After doing more research, it seems a lot of the "hiking" will mostly be just a lot of walking on well worn trails. I'm not going to be crossing rivers or anything crazy.

I think I will bring 2 pairs of shoes just to have a rotation. One will be the Stan Smiths for a casual sneaker option. I have a pair of Clarks Bushacres which are great because they can pair well with the jeans/BR core temp chinos I plan on bringing, but I don't think they would feel good for miles and miles of walking. I was looking at a few other options. What do you all think about any of these?

Clarks Un Larvik Top - kinda has desert boot styling, but I think the sole might be more comfortable?

Clarks Un Larvik Chelsea - Chelsea boot styling for easy on/off at airport/temples? Again, I think the sole would be comfortable? Not too sure...

Also, thinking of the Danner Vertigo 917 someone mentioned. Seems they are on sale at a lot of places. The Java color seems nice, might swap out the laces to a more conservative color.

I'll have to be pairing whatever shoes I pick with dark wash denim and gray and khaki chinos. Also, haven't ruled out a minimalistic athletic shoe like a the Nike Rosche. Not really my normal style, but maybe it is the most comfortable option? Ultraboosts look super comfortable, but I don't really want to spend over $200 on shoes. Would prefer to keep it around $160 or less.

Comment

Check out Allbirds instead of the Nikes. I have flat feet with custom orthotic so I need removable insoles and allbirds allow me to walk 10 miles a day in Europe when we go 2x a year. Very comfortable and minimal/classy styling shoes. I also have the Danner 917 and can fit my orthotics those are great too.

I'm interested to hear other input in this thread as I too need quality shoes able to walk distances. My 10 pairs of AEs are good for office, weddings etc but not walking. Can't fit my orthotics in those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by harmeba View Post
            Check out Allbirds instead of the Nikes. I have flat feet with custom orthotic so I need removable insoles and allbirds allow me to walk 10 miles a day in Europe when we go 2x a year. Very comfortable and minimal/classy styling shoes. I also have the Danner 917 and can fit my orthotics those are great too.

I'm interested to hear other input in this thread as I too need quality shoes able to walk distances. My 10 pairs of AEs are good for office, weddings etc but not walking. Can't fit my orthotics in those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            I tried Allbirds and didn't find them comfortable at all, so your mileage may vary. Whatever you get, I'd give yourself plenty of time to wear them before the trip.

Comment

Working...
            X