Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dress to Kill party

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dress to Kill party

    So my friend invited me to a Dress to Kill christmas party. In addition to the fact that my suits suck, this basically an invitation to dress beyond my means. It actually says "James Bond style" in the invite. I pretty much decided I would try a higher end rental, but to that end how can I not go for a white jacket tux? I mean, when am I ever going get an event that calls for that again? Dammit, I'm going to be hearing the theme music until the 14th LOL.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

    #2
    I'd buy a Quantum of Solace style charcoal suit, dark grey tie, double cuffs combo; and then you'll own a good suit when the party's over.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
      So my friend invited me to a Dress to Kill christmas party. In addition to the fact that my suits suck, this basically an invitation to dress beyond my means. It actually says "James Bond style" in the invite. I pretty much decided I would try a higher end rental, but to that end how can I not go for a white jacket tux? I mean, when am I ever going get an event that calls for that again? Dammit, I'm going to be hearing the theme music until the 14th LOL.
      My wife and I go to a lot of costume parties. Sometimes we spend a s**t load of money on costumes--I usually regret that, because we get very limited use from those pieces. We've also found some very good used formal wear on ebay that we've used for costumes. For example, for about $50, I picked up a perfectly good tail coat that I use for parties with a Victorian or Edwardian theme. You may want to consider something like that instead of spending beyond your means.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
        I'd buy a Quantum of Solace style charcoal suit, dark grey tie, double cuffs combo; and then you'll own a good suit when the party's over.
        I like your idea. I'm already saving for a nice suit and it will be either charcoal, as you suggest, or navy. Good excuse to go ahead and splurge, right? Even though that's a smart play, hard not to go all in on a killer tux rental.
        I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
          My wife and I go to a lot of costume parties. Sometimes we spend a s**t load of money on costumes--I usually regret that, because we get very limited use from those pieces. We've also found some very good used formal wear on ebay that we've used for costumes. For example, for about $50, I picked up a perfectly good tail coat that I use for parties with a Victorian or Edwardian theme. You may want to consider something like that instead of spending beyond your means.
          I'm def looking to ebay for some sportcoats, but I'm a little leery of buying things on ebay I can't try on. As hard as it is to get a good shoulder fit on average, I have more difficult than average to fit shoulders. Plus I've only got a few weeks to figure it out and get fitted. 2 weeks ago maybe I would have felt differently.
          I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

          Comment


            #6
            Dark suit, turtleneck, and an accessory = Henchman #2


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
              Dark suit, turtleneck, and an accessory = Henchman #2


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I did a light grey suit with black mockneck for an office Christmas party and got a few comments that I looked like James Bond. I was aiming more for 1960s Bond villain, but I'll take the compliment.

              Comment


                #8
                this sounds to me like an excuse to get a great new suit that you'll wear at other occasions as well. (just for the love of all things holy don't get a black suit)

                plenty of time to get in on Spier's black friday deals this week. if you're not on their mailing list i'd get there asap.

                Should be some impressive stuff happening soon.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Another vote for grey suit with turtle neck

                  Comment


                    #10
                    There is a website about all of Bond's clothes. I think it is called jamesbondssuits or something. I suggest you look for inspiration there. I do think the others are making good suggestions.

                    You could also order a Bond NATO strap from cheapest NATO Straps, provided you have a watch...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I’d go navy suit, white shirt, black tie. But I like navy suits over charcoal for most occasions.

                      You can get a good suit for less than the high end rental you mention in your first post. Just move on it this weekend so you have time to get any alterations done.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I’d throw in a tab collar shirt...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                          this sounds to me like an excuse to get a great new suit that you'll wear at other occasions as well. (just for the love of all things holy don't get a black suit)
                          This. Last year I got a very sleek prince of wales patterned suit - a bit too loud for an interview but not "costumey" so I can wear it from time to time.

                          Something like that could really pop.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I vote black dickie under a white v-neck sweater. White patent leather loafers, and, of course, a moose mug.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ScottD View Post
                              I vote black dickie under a white v-neck sweater. White patent leather loafers, and, of course, a moose mug.
                              the second-option version of this would of course be in pajamas and a leather fur-lined bomber hat holding a cigar and a Hamm's in one hand and a chemical toilet hose in the other...
                              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X