Cord Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cord Recommendations

I haven't worn corduroy pants in years. Think this is the year.

Any recommendations?

I have a pair of Bonobos cords and also a pair of Lucky Brand, both fit well and are decent quality.

Comment

Go with 550 Para. The regular nylon may look similar, but it's nowhere near as strong, and far less resistant to abrasion. I like bright orange, because while it's not "tactical" at all, let's face it, if you need to use it, you probably want it to be visible.

Comment

Spier&Mackay just dropped their 5 pocket cords recently (last week?). Early impressions on SF look very promising. They are very well priced. They also have the non 5-pocket, dressy version of cords if thats what you are after. I had gotten sick of waiting for S&M so I bought this season's cord from Ledbury. Very nice quality and construction but probably not worth twice the cost of S&M.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
          Go with 550 Para. The regular nylon may look similar, but it's nowhere near as strong, and far less resistant to abrasion. I like bright orange, because while it's not "tactical" at all, let's face it, if you need to use it, you probably want it to be visible.
          Depends on your usage. Para can stretch. Amsteel is a nice light weight, non stretch cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some from j crew last year and like them pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LOL. My go bag has plenty of Para. Now I just need to keep the legs warm.

Comment

If'n you don't want to spend too much I got a couple pair from Amazon Goothreads (reviewed on the main site earlier this fall) and they're pretty nice for the price. I can see advantages to starting cheaper to make sure cords are your thing, given that you haven't worn them in forever. I'm guessing the Flint and Tinder cords are really nice because the 365 pants they're based on are fantastic, but they are not cheap.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I'm also in the market for some cords. As I shop on the more budget end of the spectrum, the Jomers and Goodthreads offerings are on my radar. The cords were Goodthreads' Best In Show from the main site review of their fall lineup. Both of these are 5-pocket styles. S&M also has some in the ~$50 range.

That said, I already have a pair of 5-pocket cords from JCF from a few years back. They're fine, but I'd like a more polished chino-style version with slant pockets to wear to the office. LL Bean has some, but I think only in their classic fit, which is too "classic" for me. And I'm not paying $130 for S&M's Brisbane Moss version.

Comment

Good timing on this thread. I too after not wearing cords for YEARS am thinking about giving them a go. I'll likely wait for the Gap to have a sale and then pick up a set. I may see what Uniqlo has in terms of cords too.

I'd like to give the JC a go, but their brick and mortar shops have been closed in my part of the world, and the US/CDN exchange rate is brutal these days re: online purchasing.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      Good timing on this thread. I too after not wearing cords for YEARS am thinking about giving them a go. I'll likely wait for the Gap to have a sale and then pick up a set. I may see what Uniqlo has in terms of cords too.

I'd like to give the JC a go, but their brick and mortar shops have been closed in my part of the world, and the US/CDN exchange rate is brutal these days re: online purchasing.
                      Ask and ye shall receive.

On sale for $42 USD/pair.

Comment

I have a few pair of the Bonobos French Corders. They are fantastic! They can still be found on EBay, new, for $40-$50.

Comment

I have been happy with my LE cords.

Comment

I've bought cords from both J.Crew and Lucky Brand that I've been happy with. By far my favorites are the bedford cords I bought from Bonobos a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                              If'n you don't want to spend too much I got a couple pair from Amazon Goothreads (reviewed on the main site earlier this fall) and they're pretty nice for the price. I can see advantages to starting cheaper to make sure cords are your thing, given that you haven't worn them in forever. I'm guessing the Flint and Tinder cords are really nice because the 365 pants they're based on are fantastic, but they are not cheap.
                              I was looking at these recently (I also am considering picking up some cords after a long break haha), and the price is good but just wondering how long you've had them and how they've held up to washing, etc.

I ask because I've been burned by Goodthreads before--even considering the low price. I had a pair of their dark gray stretch twill 5-pockets fade very badly after just a few washes, making them look cheap and worn out. I then gave the straight fit washed chinos a try (the ones that were highly praised on the main site last year) and my navy pair also became very faded/worn/cheap looking in a short amount of time. By then I had already purchased another pair in medium gray (less prone to fading than navy, hopefully) and am treating them ultra cautiously so they don't become a waste of money. I am generally pretty gentle on clothes, but semi-casual chinos are really not an item you should have to baby. I've also ended up not keeping the Goodthreads jackets and shorts I ordered through Prime wardrobe because they just felt cheap even for the price range. If you have a decent TJMaxx, Marshalls, or Nordstrom Rack in your area you can often get much better stuff for not much more cash, if any. I guess I'm just holding out irrational hope that the cords will be different lol.

Also, semi-related: I have found Dappered to be a great resource over the years, and I don't begrudge Joe the ability to earn money from his work. I get that affiliate links are the main way this site is monetized (which is at least more transparent than the bulk of fashion "influencers"). But I've begun lately to take certain reviews with a grain of salt--particularly anything from Amazon or Gap Inc. as these seem to be pretty major sponsors/partners. Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X