The death of the SKX lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryn View Post
    I think this is good and maybe necessary business for a watch company. They don't want to reinforce the idea that the watches are always going to be available. They don't directly benefit from the 2nd hand market, but if there is a belief the watches will appreciate, then that increases sales of newer watches, especially if they are cult. Plus they can always bring them back.
    Yeah, its an interesting game to play at this price point though. Supply control is a game that Rolex and others play all the time. Seiko wouldn't do it if it didn't help them out though. Odds are SKX sales were falling off even with its reputation so instead of waiting for it to completely lose relevance, they retired it and replaced with options they could market to the same audience, price lower and still keep the same profit margin on.

Comment

I'm not sure it matters much what they do with the SKX line. Apple made $5 billion in one quarter on watches, home and accessories. Even if half of that is watches, Seiko made $1.6 billion...from 2010-2016. I'm not sure what their numbers are today... that's the figure I saw in two articles from about five minutes of Google searching.

Considering that people will pay $500 for a "watch" that they will most likely replace every few years vs. people that pay $220 US/$270 US/$400 CAD (based on this thread) for an actual watch that they might not replace ever, Seiko needs to do whatever they can to keep the money coming in. I wonder if the new 5s will be ever so slightly less reliable such that you will have to replace them more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
        I'm not sure it matters much what they do with the SKX line. Apple made $5 billion in one quarter on watches, home and accessories. Even if half of that is watches, Seiko made $1.6 billion...from 2010-2016. I'm not sure what their numbers are today... that's the figure I saw in two articles from about five minutes of Google searching.

Considering that people will pay $500 for a "watch" that they will most likely replace every few years vs. people that pay $220 US/$270 US/$400 CAD (based on this thread) for an actual watch that they might not replace ever, Seiko needs to do whatever they can to keep the money coming in. I wonder if the new 5s will be ever so slightly less reliable such that you will have to replace them more often.
        smart watch and regular watch people dont actually crossover a ton. And the people that do crossover still buy regular watches even if they arent wearing them anymore lol.
        Its a sickness. I dont think I know any people that just own a watch and arent "watch guys". Most of those smartwatch people are the youngsters that didnt wear anything after they turned 10 and lost their iron man in the couch cushions. And most of the people that are buying a seiko 5 have it in a rotation of watches and were it infrequently enough that it wont break in 50 years...but they will sell it or bench it in favor of a new model that stirs their loins. We have 3 apple watches in my household. One belongs to my wife who wore it for a week and went back to her seiko every day...and she bought a swatch on vacation. The other two belong to my teenage sons who never wore a regular watch a day in their life unless it matched their underroos and sheets. So apple sold 3 to us and didnt impact the traditional watch market at all. I wear a smart watch during the day (not apple) and swap over to my regular watch if I go out and about. I have purchased a bulova, citizen, and seiko after I bought my Garmin.

All that is to say that apple watches arent going to put seiko out of business. they might steal a few bucks out of their pockets here and there but thats all.

I saw that article too...Half of the income might not be from the watches but who knows. Its a super broad category.

It's important to keep in mind that this category doesn't just include wearables like the Apple Watch and AirPods, but also other devices like the HomePod and iPhone accessories

Comment

The SKX is an ooooooold model (circa 1996) with what is now considered outdated tech from Seiko (7s26 movement). It was only a matter of time before the line was discontinued. A lot of people assumed it would just be updated with a modern movement and re-released in otherwise identical form, but there's not actually a lot of precedent for Seiko doing something like that. Seiko isn't a Rolex with consistent model lines that exist in almost unchanged form for decades at a time. Seiko's model lineup is pretty fluid and constantly evolving - to the extent that many of the Seikos that were common and popular less than a decade ago when I first started getting into watches are now discontinued and difficult to find. Maybe the only thing distinct about the SKX007/009 watches is how long they lasted before getting the ax.
          Ben

Comment

Here's my brand new, old, outdated tech. Couldn't be happier to own such a dinosaur.

Took me about an hour to swap out the rubber it came on for the jubilee.

My thumbs hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X