Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, I need an intro pair of selvedge jeans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    if i ever find a good pair of stretch that I ant visibly tell are stretch then I might try.
    Any good stretch jeans don't visibly look like it. BR rapid movement looks like a pair of light weight jeans, with no way to tell they are stretch until you put them on.

As far as comfort.. they're more comfortable than your standard chinos or cords. It's the difference between comfy pants vs. comfy pajamas. They're addictive due to this.

Comment

If you want real selvage jeans, then start with Unbranded. Many fits, and the quality is top notch.

If you want some stretchy jeggings, then whatever all of these other people are posting.

Comment

Thanks to y'all, now I have to go buy a pair of selvedge jeans. I wasn't going to, but all this talk got me interested. And now, I find out that I can get raw denim, non-selvedge jeans from Jomers for a steal. So now, I have to buy TWO pairs of jeans.

To make matters worse, I emailed Gustin asking for a fit recommendation, and they were quick in their response and extremely helpful. So now I feel honor-bound to follow through.

This site is a Schedule 1 drug. Y'all are the pushers.

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
          If you want real selvage jeans, then start with Unbranded. Many fits, and the quality is top notch.

If you want some stretchy jeggings, then whatever all of these other people are posting.
          Really? REALLY?

https://theunbrandedbrand.com/collec...retch-selvedge

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
            Thanks to y'all, now I have to go buy a pair of selvedge jeans. I wasn't going to, but all this talk got me interested. And now, I find out that I can get raw denim, non-selvedge jeans from Jomers for a steal. So now, I have to buy TWO pairs of jeans.
            This site/forum is bad for that hey? How many watches have I bought because you jokers post image after image of a nice looking Rolex? Or turtleneck? Or AE shoes.

I think I need to start limiting my exposure here. Either that or start a Dappered support group

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
              I have a pair of these from when they went on super sale at Amazon awhile back, and they are definitely not the "stretchy jegging" type jeans that some of the BR ones that people suggest all the time kinda feel like. They will probably feel more rigid than any non-selvedge jeans you've had before too.

They're only 1% spandex so there's slightly more give than non-stretch ones, but not too much. Those exact ones are what I would recommend for a starter selvedge. Also note that for some reason, they say "skinny" but they're definitely more slim, probably on the straight side of slim. A >15" leg opening is definitely not skinny. But their parent brand, Naked & Famous does this too so who knows.

Comment

If you are really going for the “break them in yourself” rigid selvedge experience, then forget anything with spandex/stretch. Unbranded has a great rep. Naked and Famous is another brand where you can find deals.

I personally have had good luck with Gap straight selvedge jeans. They can often be had on sale in the $50-ish range. Gap uses good quality Japanese Kaihara denim. You might not be able to find them in stores, but you can order and then return in store if the fit is not right...

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...p-page-content
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  This site/forum is bad for that hey? How many watches have I bought because you jokers post image after image of a nice looking Rolex? Or turtleneck? Or AE shoes.

I think I need to start limiting my exposure here. Either that or start a Dappered support group
                  On the plus side, I've bought a bunch of the things posted on the deals and recent purchases threads that weren't posted on the main site. So, even though you all have cost me money since I didn't know who Skoaktiebolaget or Spier and MacKay were and probably would have stuck with Nordstrom and JC Penny otherwise, I have saved as well due to having good prices shared with me. Granted... I saved on items I never would have considered buying until someone posted a cool picture of them, but still.

And, yes, I am shopping for these same jeans mentioned now, but I can rationalize that too.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                    Maybe it’s a silly reason but basically I am tired of people going “oh never mind, I thought you had selvedge on.” Ok that’s happened once in my life...but it’s in my head now lol. And they do look better cuffed.
                    What kind of person, and in what situation, would say something like this? I would imagine it's a small percantage of denim-wearers that are wearing selvage denim, and who really would care enough to comment?

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                    I personally have had good luck with Gap straight selvedge jeans. They can often be had on sale in the $50-ish range. Gap uses good quality Japanese Kaihara denim. You might not be able to find them in stores, but you can order and then return in store if the fit is not right...

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...p-page-content
                    I have a pair of these Gap jeans, and definitely prefer them to the Uniqlo jeans I have, which have some stretch to them. The Gap ones have broken in nicely over the years, and I'm thinking of buying another pair in the coming weeks to have a less lived-in pair for when I want that look.

Comment

Originally posted by alexd3 View Post
                      I have a pair of these from when they went on super sale at Amazon awhile back, and they are definitely not the "stretchy jegging" type jeans that some of the BR ones that people suggest all the time kinda feel like. They will probably feel more rigid than any non-selvedge jeans you've had before too.

They're only 1% spandex so there's slightly more give than non-stretch ones, but not too much. Those exact ones are what I would recommend for a starter selvedge. Also note that for some reason, they say "skinny" but they're definitely more slim, probably on the straight side of slim. A >15" leg opening is definitely not skinny. But their parent brand, Naked & Famous does this too so who knows.
                      I have the Uniqlo "stretch" selvedge that have a few percentage spandex, and they were real stiff to start. Nothing like the yoga-pant feel of BR rapid movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                        What kind of person, and in what situation, would say something like this? I would imagine it's a small percantage of denim-wearers that are wearing selvage denim, and who really would care enough to comment?

I actually have a couple of real life friends who are into this stuff too and one used to sit across the aisle from me. There is one lady that used to come down at least once a week to see what shoes we were wearing lol. It wasnt said in a snooty way, he was legitimately looking to ask me how I liked them because he hadn't done selvedge yet either.

Comment

Third vote for Unbranded. I got my first pair that way, and it was a low-ish cost way to try them out. I got a pair for maybe $75 at Nordstrom. Since then, I've gotten a pair of Gustin too, but the Unbranded are going really strong after 2 years. I did the thing where I didn't wash them for months, then just soaked them a couple of times a year.

If you can't find a place to try them on, you could try on some Naked and Famous, which is the same fit. Unbranded 201 is the same fit as "Weird Guy" I believe, a slim.

Comment

https://bravestarselvage.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X