Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Well that's not saying much, it's gonna be in the 50s/60s this weekend :P
    Yeah it's almost disturbing how little actual winter we're getting in the DC area. Even where I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI there was next to no winter weather around Christmas. I'm starting to feel like my entire winter wardrobe is primarily aspirational rather than practical.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by mochi123 View Post
    I got Helly Hansen parka. Slim enough to not look bulky and awkward, warm enough for mid-Atlantic winter!
    Well that's not saying much, it's gonna be in the 50s/60s this weekend :P

Leave a comment:

• mochi123
    replied
    I got Helly Hansen parka. Slim enough to not look bulky and awkward, warm enough for mid-Atlantic winter!

Leave a comment:

• gaseousclay
    replied
    I recently ordered a down bomber jacket from a company called Canadian Wolf. They were supposedly started by former Canada Goose Employees so I thought I’d take a chance. I still haven’t received my jacket yet so can’t give any opinions on fit or quality, but I can say my jacket was about half the price than the other more well known competitors out there.

I also discovered another company called Toboggan Canada and their down jackets are even less expensive than my Canadian Wolf jacket. I think the key difference being that they don’t appear to use real fur.

Both Canadian Wolf and Toboggan Canada are made in Canada and neither has the social stigma that Canada Goose has. I also like supporting lesser known companies for some odd reason 👍

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
    The people who make it, control it, report on it and write dictionaries would disagree.

Loonie: from loon, to the adjective or noun loony (no 'e' as it's not a Warner Bros. cartoon and that spelling is generally not used in Canadian English) properly pluralised to loonies and retrospectively singularized to a distinct noun as loonie. The spelling was established within months of its 1987 introduction.

The coin worth two loonies then becomes a toonie, in part because of the echo of the Spanish doubloon (the more direct but harder to pronounce doubloonie never caught on) and maintain consistent spelling.

Public Works Minister David Dingwall suggested "toonie" during the press conference introducing the new coin in 1995 (while touring a polar bear exhibit, notably).

Canadians who hold to that logic include the Government of Canada, the Canadian Press style guide, which sets the standard spelling for almost every newspaper and other news print and online publication in the country, every major newspaper with its own style guide, and every Canadian TV network.

Also, the Royal Canadian Mint -- the Crown corporation which produces the coins and owns the copyrights -- uses the terms 'loonie' and 'toonie.' Difficult to get more officially definitive than that.

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about...-and-2-6800002

One may also consult the Oxford English, Cambridge, Collins, Macmillan or Merriam-Webster dictionaries to confirm the loonie/toonie noun pairing.
    So how many toonies does a Barbour field coat cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Galcobar
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    any canadian calling it a 'toonie' has it wrong. it's two-looneys. a twoney.
    The people who make it, control it, report on it and write dictionaries would disagree.

Loonie: from loon, to the adjective or noun loony (no 'e' as it's not a Warner Bros. cartoon and that spelling is generally not used in Canadian English) properly pluralised to loonies and retrospectively singularized to a distinct noun as loonie. The spelling was established within months of its 1987 introduction.

The coin worth two loonies then becomes a toonie, in part because of the echo of the Spanish doubloon (the more direct but harder to pronounce doubloonie never caught on) and maintain consistent spelling.

Public Works Minister David Dingwall suggested "toonie" during the press conference introducing the new coin in 1995 (while touring a polar bear exhibit, notably).

Canadians who hold to that logic include the Government of Canada, the Canadian Press style guide, which sets the standard spelling for almost every newspaper and other news print and online publication in the country, every major newspaper with its own style guide, and every Canadian TV network.

Also, the Royal Canadian Mint -- the Crown corporation which produces the coins and owns the copyrights -- uses the terms 'loonie' and 'toonie.' Difficult to get more officially definitive than that.

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about...-and-2-6800002

One may also consult the Oxford English, Cambridge, Collins, Macmillan or Merriam-Webster dictionaries to confirm the loonie/toonie noun pairing.

Leave a comment:

• Mad Martigan
    replied
    I want to get a navy pea coat, but I only get to wear my charcoal pea coat maybe 10 times a year as it is. Its not even that it isn't cold enough, I'm just not usually outside long enough to justify dragging it around inside.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    any canadian calling it a 'toonie' has it wrong. it's two-looneys. a twoney.

Leave a comment:

• Galcobar
    replied
    i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.
    "Twoneys"? Please tell me that double-barrelled currency misnomer is deliberate (yes, I get the conversion joke of the prior comments but all the other unit names were correct).

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    and just how many tuppence is all of that?
    i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.
    and just how many tuppence is all of that?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

So what like, 170 Degrees?
    You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

So what like, 170 Degrees?

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.
    not necessarily. Especially not these days. I mean, there are plenty that are, but you absolutely cant expect that from a down puffer just because its a down puffer. They have become somewhat a fashion piece so light puffer that only goes to 3 Celsius for comfort isnt a huge shock to me. the trend towards lightweight packable ones mean they are not meant to be used standalone. A base layer, at least one shirt, and a fleece are usually under a puffer for a lot of todays hikers. And a rain shell can go over all of that.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    FYI for anyone thinking of ordering the down jacket from Uniqlo. I was wearing the jacket today as I waited for the bus. The outside temperature was 3 degrees and I'd say the jacket was pretty much at its limit. So if you're looking for a jacket to keep you warm below freezing, the Uniqlo down jacket might not be the one. Hope this helps.
    I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X