Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want a light-mid weight fall jacket that will also have some wind/water resistance (not rainproof). I want something that can be dressed up or down and has a fairly clean profile.

    JCrew Sussex - that has been mentioned here looks great. It's unclear what the outershell of that is though. Those that have it, is it a nylon shell or waxed cotton? How does it hold up with a little wind?
    Barbour Powell - The barbour powell looks like the upgrade, but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade over the jcrew for long term quality and weather resistance.

    Any thoughts from those with these jackets or similar appreciated.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ianr View Post
      Spier and MacKay Zanieri brown houndstooth.
      Looks great. How is the fit?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by drchak View Post
        Looks great. How is the fit?
        I ordered 38 and I wear that in most OTR jackets. The sleeves fit exactly to my arms which are 34 in dress shirts. The shoulders feel perfect with a jacket underneath and a little loose with only a shirt. The armholes are also perfect with a jacket and a little odd without a jacket.

        I'm not sure if I should alter the waist or not... it pulls a tiny bit if I lift my arm as you can see in one picture. The seams feel like the waist could be let out 1/2" or so without altering the shape too much.

        I'm not trying to be too fussy about the fit as it fits a lot better than any of the topcoats I've tried on recently.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ianr View Post
          I ordered 38 and I wear that in most OTR jackets. The sleeves fit exactly to my arms which are 34 in dress shirts. The shoulders feel perfect with a jacket underneath and a little loose with only a shirt. The armholes are also perfect with a jacket and a little odd without a jacket.

          I'm not sure if I should alter the waist or not... it pulls a tiny bit if I lift my arm as you can see in one picture. The seams feel like the waist could be let out 1/2" or so without altering the shape too much.

          I'm not trying to be too fussy about the fit as it fits a lot better than any of the topcoats I've tried on recently.
          It does seem to pull a bit in photo at the waist.

          How is the lining?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by drchak View Post
            It does seem to pull a bit in photo at the waist.

            How is the lining?
            The lining appears to be the same navy Bemberg rayon as many of the suit jackets and sports jackets from Spier and MacKay. It's not quilted.

            Comment


            • I currently wear:

              Arcteryx Atom LT - my go-to everyday technical puffer jacket if I'm casual
              Ben Sherman Peacoat w/ quilted lining if it's colder than usual

              This year I'm looking to pick up an overcoat, having a tough time deciding between:

              Spier Mackay or other brand wool/cashmere blend overcoat (I tried the JCrew one and it was also pretty good)
              Theory double-faced cashmere coat that I got at a discount but am concerned it will wear out quickly

              Comment


              • finally put my J crew Sussex to a bit of a test this weekend. Nothing crazy with low temps int he 40s but wore it all weekend out walking Greenville, SC and it was comfortable enough in the warmer times and kept me toasty when the sun went down and wind picked up.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  FYI for anyone thinking of ordering the down jacket from Uniqlo. I was wearing the jacket today as I waited for the bus. The outside temperature was 3 degrees and I'd say the jacket was pretty much at its limit. So if you're looking for a jacket to keep you warm below freezing, the Uniqlo down jacket might not be the one. Hope this helps.
                  I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                    I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.
                    not necessarily. Especially not these days. I mean, there are plenty that are, but you absolutely cant expect that from a down puffer just because its a down puffer. They have become somewhat a fashion piece so light puffer that only goes to 3 Celsius for comfort isnt a huge shock to me. the trend towards lightweight packable ones mean they are not meant to be used standalone. A base layer, at least one shirt, and a fleece are usually under a puffer for a lot of todays hikers. And a rain shell can go over all of that.

                    Comment


                    • how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

                      So what like, 170 Degrees?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                        how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

                        So what like, 170 Degrees?
                        You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.
                        Ben

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.
                          and just how many tuppence is all of that?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                            and just how many tuppence is all of that?
                            i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                              i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.
                              "Twoneys"? Please tell me that double-barrelled currency misnomer is deliberate (yes, I get the conversion joke of the prior comments but all the other unit names were correct).

                              Comment


                              • any canadian calling it a 'toonie' has it wrong. it's two-looneys. a twoney.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X